Sales is a skill, not a talent

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

FlashDangerpants

Re: Sales is a skill, not a talent

Post by FlashDangerpants »

Hard to say, you were too lazy to define what a sales talent would look like at the start of this dismal thread. Unlike you Dave chose to consider what a talent actually is.
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:23 pm Hard to say, you were too lazy to define what a sales talent would look like at the start of this dismal thread. Unlike you Dave chose to consider what a talent actually is.
And yet you continue to post to this "dismal" thread.

PhilX 🇺🇸
FlashDangerpants

This is true, somehow you have maintained my attention for much longer than you normally could with what is even by your standards, very shit content. It probably won't last.
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Can computers make talented salespeople? My answer is no, but I say they can make skilled salespeople. Already they're skilled at playing games and they get better at it all the time.

Think about the rate of talking. You can experiment with computers to see what the optimum rate of talking should be which you can never do with human beings. Furthermore if the optimum rate were 120 words per minute, the computer can easily maintain that pace which a human being can never do (an example of a job where computers replace human beings).

PhilX 🇺🇸
FlashDangerpants

I should I suppose congratulate you for finally attempting to make a philosophical argument.

However, you still haven't backed up your assertion from before that talent and skill cannot exist for the same domain. As I have already provided examples where it can (chess, violin, basketball) you need to deal with that before presenting a new argument that imports that unworkable assertion as an assumption.
Celebritydiscodave2

Post by Celebritydiscodave2 »

Few people possess talents nowadays as there is not made available the countless hundreds of hours in their evolution. If sales is a talent the industry is a very small one, for by definition, only a tiny fraction of the population are even capable of the task.