Who doesn't deserve our respect?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

Who doesn't deserve our respect?

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

The homeless, for example, often don't get respect for a variety of reasons. Is society too harsh or critical in how people get treated?

PhilX 🇺🇸
Celebritydiscodave2

Re: Who doesn't deserve our respect?

Post by Celebritydiscodave2 »

Whom does not deserve our respect, perhaps nobody, perhaps this term respect should be made applicable to each and every sole merely on account of considering them to be human, or at least on the first basic level of respect. The homeless already deserve more respect than the rest of us on account that they have suffered greater persecution. The fact that too many of us are snobs is a separate issue. Those to be respected most are those that start with human suffering, that is to say start with doing something positive about it, and those the least that finish where they start, with social status, material wealth, and use of language.
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Celebritydiscodave2 wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:40 am Whom does not deserve our respect, perhaps nobody, perhaps this term respect should be made applicable to each and every sole merely on account of considering them to be human, or at least on the first basic level of respect. The homeless already deserve more respect than the rest of us on account that they have suffered greater persecution. The fact that too many of us are snobs is a separate issue. Those to be respected most are those that start with human suffering, that is to say start with doing something positive about it, and those the least that finish where they start, with social status, material wealth, and use of language.
Some would say, on the basis of economics, that the homeless don't have value and don't merit respect from the rest of society accordingly. Many wouldn't care about the greater persecution that they've suffered. Turning your argument around, you're saying that the less persecuted a person is, then the less respect he or she deserves.

Would you like to amend or reword your argument?

PhilX 🇺🇸
EchoesOfTheHorizon

Post by EchoesOfTheHorizon »

I don't deserve any respect.

:(
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

EchoesOfTheHorizon wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:25 am I don't deserve any respect.

:(
Rodney Dangerfield admitted it first when he said "I don't get no respect!" I would have loved to watch Dr. Phil interview, analyse and explain Rodney Dangerfield and his inferiority complex on his TV show. That would have been a hoot.
EchoesOfTheHorizon

Post by EchoesOfTheHorizon »

Rodney was respected for it, that's how it works. Gotta hang a lantern on irony sometimes to collect on story telling and laughs as a comic. He specialized in it better than anyone.

http://bekindrewrite.com/2011/02/04/wha ... n-my-book/
Celebritydiscodave2

Post by Celebritydiscodave2 »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:02 am
Celebritydiscodave2 wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:40 am Whom does not deserve our respect, perhaps nobody, perhaps this term respect should be made applicable to each and every sole merely on account of considering them to be human, or at least on the first basic level of respect. The homeless already deserve more respect than the rest of us on account that they have suffered greater persecution. The fact that too many of us are snobs is a separate issue. Those to be respected most are those that start with human suffering, that is to say start with doing something positive about it, and those the least that finish where they start, with social status, material wealth, and use of language.
Some would say, on the basis of economics, that the homeless don't have value and don't merit respect from the rest of society accordingly. Many wouldn't care about the greater persecution that they've suffered. Turning your argument around, you're saying that the less persecuted a person is, then the less respect he or she deserves.

Would you like to amend or reword your argument?

PhilX 🇺🇸
They might well say such things, sociology being concerned for what is said, and philosophy only for what should be said. On a monetary basis this is true, but the genuinely most valuable of our number are life forms infinitely beyond merely a presupposed fabricated paper value. Human value is potentially far greater than the ability to spend, and many of the unemployed have with this circumstance of available time afforded a greater contribution to prevailing circumstances and to society than with money alone could have even been begun, for they have a bounty of people time.

We should not feel dictated to over whom we respect. I have no additional respect in reserve for the so called successful, only an appreciation for just how fortunate it is that in fact they have been. They have their cake, pots of money, and an easy life, but I`m not a believer in both having the cake and eating it, for it does n`t generally figure. I do however hold additional respect in reserve for those that are baring up to their persecution, come suffering, the down trodden that refuse to lie down. They are tried and tested real people with backbone, not simply a walking talking robot.
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:18 pm The homeless, for example, often don't get respect for a variety of reasons. Is society too harsh or critical in how people get treated?

PhilX 🇺🇸
What respect?

What we understand of society is institutionalized cannibalism. A person, or thing, serves its purpose then is eaten for its parts.

We see this at the practical level with the necessity of recycling all the clever trinkets we form to provide leisure and entertain us...mean while the resources that maintain this standard of living are continually exploited, regardless, in the name of alleviating boredom.

But what of boredom? Old people are boring too, that is why we formed nursing homes to show them how "deeply we care".

In these homes built around contentment and care, the old are a means for the pharmaceutical industry to extend their dominion by offering a medically induced perpetual fog they call "long life"....that and the nurses get all the free gifts left left by children for their parents during the annual Christmas visit...nurses need little trinkets too...especially ones that say "God loves you".

Middle Age Employees are cycled through corporate systems while progress replaces their valuable contribution with a paper shredder and computer algorithms. They don't have to worry however, as long as they tap their feet together and say three times "I will retire with a pension" every morning as their daily prayer the corporate gods might....whatever....huh.....

Highschool youth are encouraged to feast upon each other sexually in order to find fulfillment and gratification in each others bodies, until they reach their mid twenties and are burnt out...but they don't have to worry as Grey Goose is coming out with a variety of cotton candy vodka flavors to alleviate their quarter life crisis.

If that doesn't work trojan is making different lubricating jellies for you to experiment with when you decide to cycle back to your first love and talk about all heart ache over the years that made you a "strong individual"....that and the HPV.

"Joy", "Peace" and "Love" are mere advertising slogans for coke. "Meaning" is the new "distraction" and we have Google to guide us.

Need a friend to help you carry the burdens of life?..facebook will not only provide that but give you much more with a clever little number to tell you how deeply you are loved. If you can't quantify it, then it does not exist and that includes friends....thanks physics we don't know how to justify moral relativity without you. I don't know where society would be without Stephen Hawking telling us we will be extinct in "x" billion years...After all ee is an expert on black holes, just look at his life.

Homeless people, for all the suffering they unfortunately have, are the only honest ones left...they wander around like the rest of us except they decided to make a living out of it. Society needs them in order to show us who we really are...that and alot of movies are made around people avoiding homelessness....and people are employed through charities to help them too...and avoid homelessness.

But as long as we laugh and have a good time we don't have to be worry; because entertainment is the modern form of reason. It helps us mediate who we are...as a perpetual flux of stories forgotten in a year or two. I am entertained therefore I exist..."could someone pass me the popcorn and diet coke...I watching my weight"

Those who entertain us are those who we respect...entertainment is respect because entertainers feast upon the stories of the helpless and make money from them. Homeless people are a cash crop...why get rid of them? Just look at all the commercial and movies about them, they help us make us feel better about ourselves..."At least I am not that guy" is one of the hundreds of self help mantras you can have for only 19.99 at your local Barnes and Noble.

The simple truth is noone likes each other...we put up with eachother and this is called "respect". Outside of "respect" we all find each other incredibly boring as everyone of us is a little unique god in their own minds. If you are cynical you are considered cool, because cynicism is helplessness and everyone loves a beautiful victim.

The only viable solution is to create some little machine to tell us what to do...maybe if it talks we can "respect" it.
SpheresOfBalance

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:18 pm The homeless, for example, often don't get respect for a variety of reasons. Is society too harsh or critical in how people get treated?

PhilX 🇺🇸
Well the only thing we absolutely owe one another, is leave one another alone. Unless of course, one is invited into anothers realm. It is of course a shame that mans current construct of civilization is so twisted, self-serving and devoid of any real cooperation. That there is no where to go to escape it, as it has gobbled up every bit of land.

To answer your question, "Who doesn't deserve our respect?" No one!

The Fundamental Social Axiom: "Treat others as you would have others treat you, to the extent, that all parties knowingly agree, at that time." It's pretty simple really!