Is Prejudice Self Fulfilling?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Celebritydiscodave2

Is Prejudice Self Fulfilling?

Post by Celebritydiscodave2 »

`This is an area which I have been dwelling on of late. To be certain of anything in either direction would require extensive epidemiological research with supper honest super self aware individuals, so as close as we are likely to ever get to an answer is the multiple of the best logic with anecdotal evidence.
It creates focus, prejudice creates focus, we may tend to focus on that area of our nature where the prejudice is applicable. For example, there is prejudice over men of a certain disparity of years finding females below a given threshold of years attractive, we must suddenly switch to finding them just pretty. This particular prejudice may be a cause for an enhanced focus, for this is the area of social concern, and one may tend to feel the need of regular checking out here to insure that one still conforms. However, this over focus might tend one in that direction which one most wished to avoid, it is quite possibly counterproductive for some individuals. Attractive at the cost of pretty is not a significant problem in and of itself, but it is obviously the beginnings of a potentially very serious problem for some individuals. There are countless areas of prejudice in society, and all better superseded by applied logic.
What are your personal views?
Celebritydiscodave2

Re: Is Prejudice Self Fulfilling?

You are welcome to comment, your personal experience would be useful here.

Reverse age prejudice is a massive issue in the Uk. Our choice of friends play a part in how we are perceived ourselves, but whilst it is unusual for adults to be actually prejudged over them under twenties appear to be so much of the time. It is not uncommon for young people to mimic friendship for those that they fear, so hang out with them to make their lives more bearable, and for no other reason reason than this one alone. Some of their number will stand out and be counted under those circumstances of wrong doings. However, from my experience the whole group are almost invariably given the same treatment, they can be treated not as individuals, but as all like minded. It is my theory that this can tend to complacency over their own individuality. This same prejudice might then be applied when they themselves are adults.
EchoesOfTheHorizon

Post by EchoesOfTheHorizon »

It is prejudiced to reject a post-menapausal woman over a woman of breeding age, but completely understood by society.

I worked with a bit of a numbskull during the Great Recession, in a hamburger joint, he saw me reading a old history book on the Middle Ages on a break, and started telling me about being a Mason. He was recently allowed to join, was so proud, he even got his bank card with the emblems all over it. Guy wasn't too smart, and so I congratulated him, and hoped to let him be.

Well, he wouldn't shut up about it, and soon everyone knew he was a mason. I didn't like talking, as I was just flipping burgers, I really didn't want to be Mr. Popularity or the big shot in line for management, dammit it was greasy.

So days go by, I don't talk, he tells his whole life, while I'm covered in grease. He finally hits upon his wife, who was in her later 40s, and how he was in his younger twenties. Everyone, including the women paused and heard this, and had a funny look on our faces, collectively trying to stifle it. He started asking me because as I was smart (saw me reading one damn book) if older women could have babies, as he really wanted lots of children.

Man... some conversations you just don't want to have. When he got off work shortly after that, everyone started snickering about him. He started getting stressed out, and hitting on the younger women, and they would mock him relentlessly after he wasn't around. Guys seemed more sympathetic to him.

Yes, older women can be attractive, and make a better mate in most areas, save one area. They can't make babies. I'm sorry for offending. It is true. My preference would be men and women hitting puberty around age 45, and staying youthful till 100, and let the rigors of old age take place in our first decades, but as I don't make the rules, whatever.

If you are a breeding person, male or female, you should seek the best sex partner you can get. I'm talking a combination of personality compatibility, lust for them, someone capable of being a good parent. For poor males, we often get tossed to the side of the road like menopausal women do. Just how life is. They look for the best mate too, and many get just as hot at deep pockets as men do at big bosoms. Both go to feed a kid in some sense.... a kid can live without breast milk or wealth, but it is hardly a bad thing for a kid to be brought up with in either case, preferred actually.

As to it being self fulfilling, I don't quite understand. There is always going to be a bit of prejudice and bigotry at the roots of any system of ethics, it is unavoidable. Even when you try to make a ideology without losers, someone looses. Marxists tried really, really hard to create a classless society, and millions died in famines and revolutionary purges..... after the communist state was established. It can go from theoretical high thinking to brutal by accident fast.

I recommend just... avoid being a atrocious douchebag, and make a effort to do nice things on occasion. If you don't have to be mean, or needlessly interfere with everyone, don't. Let things be, let people make a life. You don't have to agree with them, and make a effort every now and then to be good hearted to people you normally wouldn't bother with, for whatever reason. Society even then would still make winners and losers, and some will lose big, but it be a much better society than most systems can systematically, intentionally induce. We all too often overlook the fact those most crying for social justice are the biggest abusers around, covering up for their own issues. Just try to be a good human.
Celebritydiscodave2

by EchoesOfTheHorizon » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:38 pm
It is prejudiced to reject a postmenopausal woman over a woman of breeding age, but completely understood by society.

That is unfortunate, but it is not prejudicial. It is not prejudicial because it is not out of ignorance/over nothing measurable existing that a decision is being made, for the decision is being made/may be being made between two circumstances, one materially different from the other. The pre female is being favored but whether it is prejudicial can only be identified case by case. To be attracted physically younger or physically older is not of course prejudicial, for one is biologically different from the other, either younger or older. To be attracted younger or older only on account of time elapsed since birth without any at all consideration for actual age, actual biological age, this is of course prejudicial, not of course that we have any genuine control, other than through our own personal ageing itself, it can be hastened with cigs, over whom we may or may not find attractive. This even if our attraction younger may in a particular circumstance concerns no more than a mere notion of youth. For instance, of two thirty year olds one may be forty five whilst the other only nineteen. Reprogramming ourselves is a possibility, but I have no evidence that it is even possible. I doubt it though for we have been thoroughly programmed already at the level of our innate drives. Society has not caught up with this fact yet, that nothing is known of any individual merely on account of the passage of time, and certainly not that a small fraction of one percent of our population are biologically ageing 30 yrs (in a lifetime) behind time, and as measured under the microscope. Others again may be ageing that much or more ahead of time. This is the real world, how it actually is in the world beyond current universal perception. We are definitely not ready for the real world for society through the media is bias and overall in my view still taking us in the opposing direction. Society is likely to catch up a very considerable time after science has already arrived there, and that forever widening gap is the marker for this particular form of social prejudice. We are neatly filling this prejudicial void, relatively so, for how we perceive ourselves is very strongly geared to how younger people perceive us, and in my opinion this is at the route cause of considerable unnecessary ageing. The prejudice again here being self fulfilling.
Google celebritydiscodave
Youtube: Kates David
GreatandWiseTrixie

Post by GreatandWiseTrixie »

An example is me. I am an unprejudiced, unbiased person.

I dont want to live in a black neighborhood, because I know how those are. Living there, just to feel like a SJW goodie-two shoes, would be masochistic.

But...if there was a smart black scientist, I would hire him for my company.

This is an example of objective, non-prejudice, and treating things on a per-instance, intelligent basis.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

...............................................Image

Celebritydiscodave2

Totally second all of that, but too many folk apparently do n`t understand prejudice for what it actually is, the basically discriminating against a person, come group of people, on account of that which does not even exist. One cannot even think to defend oneself against nothing. Prejudice in its raw form is the place of total and absolute ignorance, the place of total reluctance to think. It most definitely makes victims, and nobody is more a victim to prejudice than those that accept what comes with it as true.