For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Bill Wiltrack

~~~ Hello, Fellow Machines ~~~

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

“We cannot be conscious of what we are not conscious of.”
Julian Jaynes -
The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind

So, when the self driving car makes thousands more calculations than myself per second & reacts to them, or when I ask Cortana a question that I cannot remember & she responds - those machines are better & more efficient than the machine I've been calling I all this time...

Nick_A

Re: ~~~ Hello, Fellow Machines ~~~

Post by Nick_A »

Bill Wiltrack wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:32 am .

Julian Jaynes -

So, when the self driving car makes thousands more calculations than myself per second & reacts to them, or when I ask Cortana a question that I cannot remember & she responds - those machines are better & more efficient than the machine I've been calling I all this time...

And what's worse is that these machines not only out think the human machine but can become more efficient and better lovers solving the emotional and sex difficulties.

Face it Bill, the human machine is becoming obsolete. When we start saying: "check out the ass on that machine", then you'll know it's time to pack it in.

https://www.inverse.com/article/37991-s ... dian-angel
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Bill Wiltrack wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:32 am
So, when the self driving car makes thousands more calculations than myself per second & reacts to them.
That is a long time coming because I don't think most people realize how many thousands of observations, calculations and reactions the human brain makes in a second already.
A_Seagull

Post by A_Seagull »

Bill Wiltrack wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:32 am .

Julian Jaynes -

Presumably you think that because you are a machine!

Among other things, people are blessed with imagination....
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Imagination takes us out of the moment & what is worse, within the framework of this thread, imagination is the one thing that keeps us from being able to be self-conscious, - which is actually the ONLY thing that can bring us towards objective consciousness, which man-made machines cannot have.

...imagination is always false and yet imagination is the last thing us humans will give-up. It costs us everything in relation to our possible ultimate development and fulfillment.