[Human beings, The newest universal evolution experiment?]

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

mystical_universe

[Human beings, The newest universal evolution experiment?]

Post by mystical_universe »

The Human being experiment

The human being could be the ultimate test of universal evolution,
a new experiment if you will, the first species that has bin granted autonomic free will
an experiment carried out by the universe to determine the effect of autonomy on living creatures and the kind of influence it has on personality and emotional state,
in the end it will conclude and determine what kind of effect the ultimate combination of self-awareness has had on humanity and there evolutional growth,
eventually the experiment will either get rejected or deemed worthy to continue to a next phase of the evolutional ladder,

which one it shall be,

only time will tell...
davidm

Re: [Human beings, The newest universal evolution experiment?]

Post by davidm »

Humans are not a "test" of evolution because evolution doesn't have a mind or aim or purpose.

Also, there is no "ladder" of evolution.
EchoesOfTheHorizon

Post by EchoesOfTheHorizon »

Hmmm, naturally there is a ladder to evolution, as the formulas we project upon the concept of evolution is the same as what we used to use for theological concepts such as Jacob's Ladder, or the Missing Link, or the progressive staircase of stages Hare Krishnans love to illustrate. Theory added to that or not, that is very much how most people approach evolution. How we think it is more or less how most would use it, apply the concept.

In regards to the experiment in free will. Damn.... this is a good one. Was thinking it was another silly question on this site, but the more I think about it in regards to Jude's-Christian myths of creation, why someone like Adam had the ability to observe and name things, to talk interpersonally in Eden, but lacked a sexual awareness as well as a awareness of sin in general. I suppose I've been scratching at that myself, but it never quite got to the expression of free will, but now looking back, seems to be the primary concern God was concerned with immediately during and just after the fall. However, it was structured from then on (immediately post fall) with a orthodox culture vs heterodox). Early on, a early cataclysm as Cain and Able adopted different modes of lifestyle and sacrifice (able animal sacrifice, Cain got into organic fruit, God smitted the organic fruits, said he liked lamb chops better).

It all worked out in a unnamed logical sequence generationally till Noah when God got absolutely fed up with the world and just wrote it off after Sodom and Gammorah, in much the same way someone run i a videotape or simulation might realize it all went horribly, horribly downhill and just went with a restart, preferring to emphasize on the lessons learned. I do this sometimes with a video game if I put it on too hard a setting, forget to save, and it just goes silly wrong later on. I can either go back to the last save (long way back) or just restart with a new strategy.

Now, I've looked at a lot of the Mesopotamian mugs related to the biblical stories, as well as some from other cultures. They don't all fit this mold, especially that of a golden age with a divided nature, or a emphasis on free will with periodic tests, but the Jude's-Christian outlook certainly has it, and seems so from your earliest mythology on. Never occurred to me the uniqueness of this. I can point to the periodic return and resetting of Hindu Avatars and of the return of Buddhas to the idea of a grand history of the world unraveling, presuming free choice leads to corruption that needs occasional reset. It is a theory of history. The Jews for the most part presume another messiah, so can be categorized in that model. Christians are half expecting a Anti-Christ who will tempt them with liberalism leading to a apocalyptic showdown (the ultimate choice) before the end times and a fundamental restructuring of society.

Whenever we think of free will across history, it seems to be in these stages. If you insist on a non-staged free will, just a progression until extinction, within a larger theory of ecosystem, then free will may exist, or may not exist, depending on the emphasis of causality. This isn't any different that arguements for the evilness of god in setting everything in motion. The choice sits with the actor, but we argue what that choice amounts to in the grand scheme of things.

This is a concept that effects how a historian approaches history.
OuterLimits

Post by OuterLimits »

Free will is a very difficult thing to talk about without it obviously coming apart - like a souffle.

If science is understood to be chains of physical cause and effect, then nothing happens inside a person that wasn't caused.

For one thing, free will was "granted" - by what / whom ?

When primordial gases were forming galaxies was there any kind of agency present, and kind of free will? Most people would say not, that process is entirely physics, entirely automatic. And then when solar systems formed, and the chemistry of life coming together in the oceans? Most people would accept this is entirely automatic. And through evolution of single-celled life and up to worms and mammals and then at some point the first advanced brain is "granted' free will - so what are we saying - that the underlying physical mechanisms stopped causing the behaviors? I imagine someone giving over the steering wheel to someone who was previously in the passenger seat. In a person, in a brain, you still see so much complex reductionism.

So, in each cell something like this is going on
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ4N0iSeR8U
so where does the free will come in? who or what has this power which rises above cause and effect?