Are you immortal?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

GreatandWiseTrixie

Re: Are you immortal?

Post by GreatandWiseTrixie »

A_Seagull wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:56 pm But my genes may 'live' on even if they get mutated beyond recognition or even if I have no children of my own. Perhaps they will 'live' forever.
I'm confused, what do you mean by this?
Celebritydiscodave2

Post by Celebritydiscodave2 »

I have had that question asked of me a few times recently, "are you immortal" I`m 64 years of age climb trees as a living, and engage a five hour hill run every weekend whilst dragging heavy weights, and simultaneously training my upper body with thousands of intense, each one to near failure, resistance repetitions. From there I go on to put up physical world record performances, one hour each, for Youtube. To be immortal at the very least one must "know" that they have not aged but one single day. We are hard wired, we can be pointed in the direction of our decrepitation, or we can point ourselves the other way. With each passing decade one must "know" that one shall be that much younger. Deprogramme and rid yourself entirely of the universal ageing tape, and then reprogramme anew. You might not have many friends, but you will remain young, unless of course you are very unlucky.
One thing is for sure, being clever, or otherwise thinking that you are, wont keep you young
A_Seagull

Post by A_Seagull »

GreatandWiseTrixie wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:13 am
A_Seagull wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:56 pm But my genes may 'live' on even if they get mutated beyond recognition or even if I have no children of my own. Perhaps they will 'live' forever.
I'm confused, what do you mean by this?
I am not sure what is confusing you. I am talking about the river of life of which we are all a part. The endless river that goes on forever and perhaps forever.
GreatandWiseTrixie

Celebritydiscodave2 wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:20 am I have had that question asked of me a few times recently, "are you immortal" I`m 64 years of age climb trees as a living, and engage a five hour hill run every weekend whilst dragging heavy weights, and simultaneously training my upper body with thousands of intense, each one to near failure, resistance repetitions. From there I go on to put up physical world record performances, one hour each, for Youtube. To be immortal at the very least one must "know" that they have not aged but one single day. We are hard wired, we can be pointed in the direction of our decrepitation, or we can point ourselves the other way. With each passing decade one must "know" that one shall be that much younger. Deprogramme and rid yourself entirely of the universal ageing tape, and then reprogramme anew. You might not have many friends, but you will remain young, unless of course you are very unlucky.
One thing is for sure, being clever, or otherwise thinking that you are, wont keep you young
Is this you?
https://youtu.be/mR82JPOQhPo
Celebritydiscodave2

No, it certainly is not, you googled disco dave, there are thousands of them, but only one celebrity disco dave, google as single word.
lesley_vos

Post by lesley_vos »

Nope. But so many people just want to believe it to be true because of the fear of death.
GreatandWiseTrixie

Celebritydiscodave2 wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:21 am No, it certainly is not, you googled disco dave, there are thousands of them, but only one celebrity disco dave, google as single word.
So this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LTH5sVqo_s
Celebritydiscodave2

Yes, one of many, far too brief I know, and could be elaborated upon very considerably. Many young people go clubbing to be noticed, perhaps even some to be immortal, and there can be a certain immortality to be discovered through celebrity, perhaps even when restricted to a single venue. On yet another level, I endeavor to grow younger by physical performance with each passing decade. In my sixties I am acquiring new physical records, whilst back in my thirties was suffering from chronic arthritis. I do n`t know yet whether or not I`m immortal, but I am most certainly doing well. Not only that, I am taking as many folk as possible with the time to listen with me.
onehourworldrecords@gmail.com
bahman

Post by bahman »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:00 pm I don't consider myself to be immortal.

Some people may look upon themselves as being immortal, not in terms of how long they live, but in terms of history (for as long as history lasts) or maybe other ways.

So are you destined for immortality? Why? What does immortality mean to you? Would you grow bored with immortality?

PhilX 🇺🇸
I have two arguments in favor of immortality:

(1) Information is conserved, (2) Identity is information, (3) Therefore any being with an identity is immortal.
(1) Identity is irreducible to physical substance, (2) Anything irreducible cannot be created or destroyed, (3) Therefore we are immortal.
Celebritydiscodave2

The nearest we can have to immortality is the belief in it, and the belief alone is a fundamental component to its reality. I can elaborate if so required. Any and all sentiments that such argue are apparently being deleted as inappropriate/not on the subject. This is absolutely fine with me, I have myself already long considered this question, and their deletion here does not in the same breath denote the new definition for an appropriate response to this question. In philosophical process there potentially exists more than merely those suggestions gone before. Let only those that first possess immortality cast the first intellectual stone.
Viveka

Post by Viveka »

A way of proving immortality is through cause and effect,and its arising, sustaining, and dying, and rebirth. Thus, cause and effect and temporality both lead to an infinite re-birth, either physically or non-physically, either materially or immaterially.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Viveka wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:11 pm A way of proving immortality is through cause and effect,and its arising, sustaining, and dying, and rebirth. Thus, cause and effect and temporality both lead to an infinite re-birth, either physically or non-physically, either materially or immaterially.
It has nothing to do with cause and effect. It is about you which is conserved during cause and effect.
Viveka

Post by Viveka »

bahman wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:46 pm
Viveka wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:11 pm A way of proving immortality is through cause and effect,and its arising, sustaining, and dying, and rebirth. Thus, cause and effect and temporality both lead to an infinite re-birth, either physically or non-physically, either materially or immaterially.
It has nothing to do with cause and effect. It is about you which is conserved during cause and effect.
Yes, but everything is subject to cause and effect. Therefore, why not our minds being conserved in cause and effect?
Celebritydiscodave2

Immortality is only to be discovered at the very opposite place to ageing and decay. It is possible to reverse biological ageing, true, albeit for a limited time only, and it is also possible to slow right down the rate of ageing. All this naturally, without even the intervention of a single drugs. My experience, and I am at least gaining physical world records through my sixties, and I am at least still improving in physical condition with the passage of time, has been that "knowing" oneself young actually does work in retaining youth. Ageing, the process of, seems to have a lot to say for our psychological programming for it. It is all too easy to think that one is steering an anti ageing path whilst in reality actually doing little to nothing about it. Keeping fit and eating healthy count, but the real difference can be attained only at the psychological end, and I believe us to be very significantly hard wired. My theory is that immortality is within the grasp of our line through a constant immortality specific mind set. At all ages one must know that one is in one`s prime, one must only look forward for the experience of greater youth, freedom from pain, and being more attractive to primary, always primary, members of the other sex. One cannot travel too far in reverse gear, this is about genuine biological youth, and the continual healthy celebration of it.
Last edited by Celebritydiscodave2 on Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Viveka

Post by Viveka »

Celebritydiscodave2 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:22 am Immortality is only to be discovered at the very opposite place to ageing and decay. It is possible to reverse biological ageing, true, albeit for a limited time only, and it is also possible to slow right down the rate of ageing. All this without even the intervention of any drugs. My experience has been, and I am at least gaining physical world records through my sixties, and I am at least still improving in physical condition with the passage of time, that "knowing" oneself young actually does work in retaining youth. Ageing, the process of, seems to have a lot to say for our psychological programming for it. It is all too easy to think that one is steering an anti ageing path whilst in reality actually doing little to nothing about it. Keeping fit and eating healthy count, but the real difference can be attained only at the psychological end, and in which respect we are hard wired. My theory is that immortality is within the grasp of our line through an immortality specific mind set.
I don't think believing you are immortal can make you such unless you are already immortal, such as through my own post's musings in this thread.