A Thread About Death

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

surreptitious57

A Thread About Death

Post by surreptitious57 »

Hello Trixie. I said that I would start a thread about death and so here it is. Death is real and absolute and everything eventually dies including the Universe itself. This is because of a little thing called the Second Law Of Thermodynamics which I am sure you have heard of. Now I know that you have had a hard life and do not want to just die at the end of it and stay dead for ever. But the laws of physics do not care about that and you can not simply wish them away. You wanting to come back as something significantly better is never going to happen. There is precisely zero evidence for reincarnation and is why I do not think it is true. You on the other hand are allowing your negative state of mind to influence the way that you think about life which is completely wrong. When you die you will be free from all of the pain and suffering you are currently experiencing and so accept that instead of falsely thinking that it is not the end. You have just one life and when it finishes then that is it. No coming back ever again
davidm

Re: A Thread About Death

Post by davidm »

The second "law" of thermodynamics is not a "law" at all -- not an edict -- just as all "laws" do not govern reality, but rather describe it. The second "law" is statistical -- it is just a fact that there are many more ways for states to be disordered rather than ordered.

If the universe is infinite in time and space, we can expect that all states of affairs will recur and will do so infinitely many times, no matter how unlikely such states of affairs are.

Fred is a dart thrower. He hits the bull's eye once every billion throws. We see that if Fred throws the dart a billion times, his average bull's eye hit is one every billion throws.

Suppose Fred throws the dart -- not a billion times -- but an infinite number of times.

How many times will Fred hit the bull's eye?

An infinite number of times.
EchoesOfTheHorizon

Post by EchoesOfTheHorizon »

Actually, lots of evidence for reincarnation exists, but it is mostly people claiming it in sources. I don't buy into it, but then again, complex governemnts have existed based on this premise, such as the Tibetan succession for several high offices over hundreds of years, and it was stable, sorta enlightened in aspects in a era when other monarchies collapsed. Easy enough to disregard the validity of the concept (and I do), but disregarding it isn't the same as saying absolutely no chance for it.

For example, let's say a computer AI in the future becomes peculiarly attached to one of us in a few centuries. We have been long dead, but something we did or say intrigued us, and it began unearthing records about us.... old posts, when phone calls had been made, purchase history, places we lived, work, dated, married. Pictures, vacations, friends, every known nuance of interest. It buys the land you live on, walks the walk you walk. After a time, instead of just getting into your head, it becomes eerily like you, enough to the point it discovers through new habits acquired, that you left otherwise untraceable activities, such as a name carved into a tree off the trail on a mountain. It had no idea you traveled there, but was so into your mindset it just went where you went, looked at the tree you once looked at.

In simulating your desires, impulses, unconscious..... wouldn't you in a sense be reincarnated in it? The uncanny resurrection? I note the Dalai Lama doesn't believe in a full reincarnation of the soul, but the migration of the majority of some casual spirit thingy, a little is lost and gained each time, this pattern.

If your actions influences a tabula rasa in the future, in a sense, you reincarnate. Why do you think I'm always cautious with INTJ philosophers. Not because I'm obsessed with the mindset, but because I have a extra-communal sense of self imbedded in each one.... if I make a mistake in experience, I hope they avoid it too, as they are as good as I am, same reflexes and instincts in many cases, even if everything else is different. In a sense, they are me, but I am still my own very unique self.

This being said, it is preferable to leave Trixie trapped in the limbo of a hellish prospect of the cursed Nietzschean Eternal Return cause I don't think he actually read Dennent, just keeps saying it like we are supposed to be impressed he (supposedly) read a five hundred page book. Burnnnnnnnnnnnn, over and over in your many carnations. What ha ha ha ha!!!!! :twisted:
CheshireDream

Post by CheshireDream »

Everything in existence is a reflection of something infinitely greater and lesser than itself. An egg may resemble something as grand as a solar system, or as humble as a skin cell. However there are undeniable similarities.
In addition to that, we know that matter can neither be created or destroyed. Burn a log and you may no longer have a piece of wood, but you have heat, ash and smoke amounting to the value of the initial material...
So, perhaps your consciousness may have only one life to live, but what if the variables that make up your sum can be reconfigured upon death to make up a new equal existence or even multiple lesser existences that add up to the same value as the original whole?
I'm a big fan of recycling and I believe the universe does exactly that with the remains of our bodies and spirit. It's kinda like reincarnation.

I also have loose ideas on death, dreams, consciousness and black holes, if you're interested..