Can you honestly say you don't discriminate?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

There are numerous ways to discriminate. Favoritism, your favorite food or music or whatever. Not only do we have a choice in many cases, I can say choice is forced upon us. Discrimination is a way of life.

PhilX 🇺🇸
Skip

Re: Can you honestly say you don't discriminate?

Post by Skip »

Obviously.
That's why it's so helpful to finish the sentence.
Discriminate against whom, on what basis?

I do like squash more than turnips; green more than pink; classical piano more than ... whatever is coming over the loudspeakers in the mall.
At the end of a pee-wee soccer game, I'd rather take my own children home than a randomly selected pair, even of similar age and gender.
I would not hire a safe-cracker teach kindergarten, but I might look at, or even buy, his basketry.
I would not allow even the very best basket-weaver or safe-cracker to take out my appendix, unless she also had a valid MD.
duszek

Post by duszek »

Everybody does their personal statistics, I suppose.

If 95 per cent of my personal experiences with an ethnic group that is not my own have been bad then I still hope to meet someone who will improve the statistics but does my subconsious play the game too ?

If 95 per cent of my personal experiences have been rather good (like for example with the British) then I tend to be prejudiced in their favour a little bit even if I try not to, reminding myself of some very bad ones from literature or from the news.
duszek

Post by duszek »

I probably discriminate against people who like certain words which I rather dislike.

Example in German: "sprich" as a synonym for "that is".

I try to be polite of course. But the person who likes to say "sprich" is stigmatized in my subconscious.
Celebritydiscodave2

Post by Celebritydiscodave2 »

Report this post Quote
Unread post by Philosophy Explorer » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:14 pm

There are numerous ways to discriminate. Favoritism, your favorite food or music or whatever. Not only do we have a choice in many cases, I can say choice is forced upon us. Discrimination is a way of life.

What, but discrimination has absolutely nothing to do with choice, or making a choice. There is absolutely nothing of discrimination about preferring one thing over another, period. The only condition being that there exists genuine real world reason why you have made your specific selection. What is discrimination then? - It is rejection out of hand, the decision not to go there without first making an equal real world appraisal with the alternative. Where individuals are concerned this may include the grouping of vast sways of them as though every individual of their number were the same person.
For instance, and I`m 65 yrs of age, IO am grouped with the over forties when in reality I`m bettering virtually everybody of all ages physically, I routinely run for five hours up and down hills whilst dragging weights, and simultaneously rigorously training my upper body. I also routinely publish new physical world records on Youtube. We are discriminated against because we are assesses on the basis of non information, how long we have been alive. This is real world discrimination, for nothing is known for certain of any individual merely on account of the passage of time, and this even extends to include their age, their real age, their biological age. It has been proven at micro level that a tiny fraction of us age thirty years behind the average for the rest. This of course iis not to say that we might not at the same time perform fifty years or more younger.
Skip

Post by Skip »

Celebritydiscodave2 wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:11 pm What, but discrimination has absolutely nothing to do with choice, or making a choice.
Of course it does. In matters of taste, a discriminating palate is one that can distinguish good from poor wines;that can tell the difference between various herbs; one who understands how art is produced; in fashion, one who can tell what is more becoming a certain figure or colouring, etc.
What is discrimination then? - It is rejection out of hand, the decision not to go there without first making an equal real world appraisal with the alternative. Where individuals are concerned this may include the grouping of vast sways of them as though every individual of their number were the same person.
The distinction must be made between a legal use of 'discrimination' - which is the exclusion of categories of person from equal protection, opportunity or employment - and aesthetic preference, based on taste, discernment, or cultural bias.

Putting the word in context has some meaning. Hanging it out, naked, to dangle in the cold breeze of ambiguity has none.
Phlix does this all the time, just to be provocative, and people often fall for it, jumping to an unwarranted assumption; discussing or arguing an undefined topic.
Celebritydiscodave2

Celebritydiscodave2 wrote: ↑Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:11 pm
What, but discrimination has absolutely nothing to do with choice, or making a choice.
Of course it does. In matters of taste, a discriminating palate is one that can distinguish good from poor wines;that can tell the difference between various herbs; one who understands how art is produced; in fashion, one who can tell what is more becoming a certain figure or colouring, etc.
What is discrimination then? - It is rejection out of hand, the decision not to go there without first making an equal real world appraisal with the alternative. Where individuals are concerned this may include the grouping of vast sways of them as though every individual of their number were the same person.

Not in the real world it does n`t, in one`s perception of course many concepts are severely warped. For choice to have actually taken place, your perception to one side for now, genuine freed up choice this is, one must first have afforded oneself the ability to remove any mental blocks which may impede site of all of the otherwise pros and cons. That is what choice is, it is a decision come to on the basis of actual information. It has nothing whatsoever to do with legalities, although of course laws may impede choices. Prejudice (ignorance)/non information constitutes a mental block, and decisions are made not from out of choice but from out of ignorance, the information required to have made a choice having never even been visible in the first instance. To be a slave to discrimination, many of us are, is the same thing as to opt out of choice.

"Discriminating palate" Wrong use of terms Discerning palate is correct. The discriminating palate has already made its mind up before the taste comparison even begins. You`ll just have to trust me on this. Does a white guy that discriminates against dark skinned girls require to live with one to make the comparison with other girls first?
Skip

Post by Skip »

Live with? No. Ogle, fantasize about, lust after.... Most guys don't discriminate on the basis of skin colour; they may use other criteria.
Trust me on this. Never mind - I'll trust you.
Seleucus

Post by Seleucus »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:14 pm There are numerous ways to discriminate. Favoritism, your favorite food or music or whatever. Not only do we have a choice in many cases, I can say choice is forced upon us. Discrimination is a way of life.

PhilX 🇺🇸
Yeah, I discriminate all the time. I'm a racist, sexist, Islamophobic, homophobe. So what? Are you gonna call me a Nazi? Oh no!
duszek

Post by duszek »

I discriminate in favour of Latin American music.
Due to personal statistics.
Most of it I have liked so far so next time I need to make a grab I will grab one of these.
Celebritydiscodave2

y Seleucus » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:52 pm

Philosophy Explorer wrote: ↑Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:14 pm
Choice is a way of life, not discrimination (ignorance), because choice is unavoidable for every last one of us, but ignorance (discrimination) of this non thinking order can be avoided, and again in this instance too, by us all. Sure, not many guys may discriminate against dark skin, and I`m sure that marriage would come just as easily, but discrimination does exist, it is all around us, and it can potentially completely ruin iifes. I tend to finding dark skinned girls more attractive because I`m attracted by muscle, loathe flab.
duszek

Post by duszek »

In that case do you discriminate against white girls ?

And if so is it a moral problem of some kind ?
Celebritydiscodave2

Report this post Quote
Unread post by duszek » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:38 pm

In that case do you discriminate against white girls ?

And if so is it a moral problem of some kind ?

You thoroughly understand what it is to discriminate over what it is to make a balanced choice, yes, this will be easy then, I think? If you do not then no answer that I can give you shall likely be satisfactory. I make choices regards people, between people, wholly individuals all of them, some with dark skin, some others with fair. Nothing is known for certain of any person merely on account the passage of time, this includes their age, their real age, their biological age. Equally, nothing is known of any individual merely on accounting for the colour of their skin, and to perceive otherwise would be prejudice. I do not perceive otherwise, either in respect to white or black, I make totally unbiased comparisons between their personal traits as individuals. Do this and come up the majority of the time with black and there is no prejudice. Equally, do this and come up the majority of the time with lighter skin and the same applies, no prejudice. Preference for specific and measurable traits is not the territory of prejudice, we are making choices, choices are informed, so informed choices. I`m sixty five, I do n`t have too many teenage friends, this may be prejudice, it may also be, case by case, that my years do n`t register, that they dislike the substance of me. That being the case there is absolutely no prejudice being held on their part for we all carry our own individual preferences. Congratulations though for taking us much deeper into this subject. It is getting quite interesting I feel.
NB Slight exaggeration of substance but to make a point, virtually all my friends seem to be teenagers (google celebritydiscodave)