What's Important?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

artisticsolution

What's Important?

Post by artisticsolution »

Or more to the point...

How not to waste one's life? (if we only get one)

A belief in God is all fine and dandy...unless you die and find out he either doesn't exist or does exist and you are going to hell anyway because you interpreted the Bible wrong.

Suppose there is no heaven or hell...but a life after death that is unlike life on Earth. Suppose, you missed your window of opportunity to have the time of your life on Earth because you were sticking to an ideal?
thedoc

Re: What's Important?

Post by thedoc »

The purpose of life is not to wait for the storm to pass, but to learn to dance in the rain.
duszek

Post by duszek »

Our intuition can tell us if we waste our time or not.

We can learn from the experience of other people.

Would you like to share with us what you discovered for yourself personally to be a waste of time ?

Cultivating long-term relashionships which are neutral or better (but not depressing) is a good investement of time and energy.

Sleeping is important, too.
artisticsolution

thedoc wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:21 pm The purpose of life is not to wait for the storm to pass, but to learn to dance in the rain.
"That's not Yankee dancing - that's Devil Rays dancin'!"

And it's not what this thread is about. :)
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

duszek wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:26 pm Would you like to share with us what you discovered for yourself personally to be a waste of time ?
Keep your mouth shut and don't share what you really believe with very many people, most people just don't understand, IOW don't talk too much.
artisticsolution

duszek wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:26 pm Our intuition can tell us if we waste our time or not.

We can learn from the experience of other people.

Would you like to share with us what you discovered for yourself personally to be a waste of time ?

Cultivating long-term relashionships which are neutral or better (but not depressing) is a good investement of time and energy.

Sleeping is important, too.
Thank you, duszek. Maybe it does come down to intuition. I think what I have found to be a waste of time in my life was, having children, working, paying taxes, algebra, the time I spent in church as a child, and wasting my breath trying to reason with republicans...to name a few.

I should have concentrated more on travel and art.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

artisticsolution wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:27 pm And it's not what this thread is about. :)
This thread is about life and living.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

duszek wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:26 pm Cultivating long-term relationships which are neutral or better (but not depressing) is a good investment of time and energy.
If you loan someone money and never see them again, it was probably a good investment.
artisticsolution

thedoc wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:33 pm
duszek wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:26 pm Would you like to share with us what you discovered for yourself personally to be a waste of time ?
Keep your mouth shut and don't share what you really believe with very many people, most people just don't understand, IOW don't talk too much.
See...you and I think totally differently. The last thing I want to do is live my life being guarded. To me it's a waste of my life to worry about what someone might think of me. I have more important things to do with my time.

Not that I am criticizing you...my sis is like you and I love her...however, I do think she wastes her life.

I mean...to not go swimming because your're afraid that you might mess up your hair and that someone you know might see you? So what if they see the real you?
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

artisticsolution wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:33 pm
Thank you, duszek. Maybe it does come down to intuition. I think what I have found to be a waste of time in my life was, having children, working, paying taxes, algebra, the time I spent in church as a child, and wasting my breath trying to reason with republicans...to name a few.

You should have traveled more.
artisticsolution

thedoc wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:34 pm
artisticsolution wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:27 pm And it's not what this thread is about. :)
but you missed the part that was meant to discourage cliches....namely "sticking to an ideal".

Nevermind :?
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

artisticsolution wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:38 pm
thedoc wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:33 pm
See...you and I think totally differently. The last thing I want to do is live my life being guarded. To me it's a waste of my life to worry about what someone might think of me. I have more important things to do with my time.

Not that I am criticizing you...my sis is like you and I love her...however, I do think she wastes her life.

I mean...to not go swimming because your're afraid that you might mess up your hair and that someone you know might see you? So what if they see the real you?
You miss my point, I keep my ideas to myself because I'm not inclined to argue with people who have dumb ideas or lie about what they think they know.

If I was so worried about my appearance I wouldn't dress the way I do, I wear what is comfortable.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

artisticsolution wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:43 pm
thedoc wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:34 pm
but you missed the part that was meant to discourage cliches....namely "sticking to an ideal".

Nevermind :?
Sometimes cliches say it better than I can. I don't try to discourage anything.
artisticsolution

thedoc wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:39 pm
artisticsolution wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:33 pm

You should have traveled more.
Is there anywhere to travel to in your ideal of heaven? My mom says God will change us into non sinners and we won't be bored either. And all our questions will be answered. alot of good that did lucifer, eh?
artisticsolution

thedoc wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:46 pm

Sometimes cliches say it better than I can. I don't try to discourage anything.
Is this entirely true? You do try to discourage sin, don't you?