For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

marjoram_blues

Re: Reading your life as if it were a book

Post by marjoram_blues »

duszek wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:47 pm
marjoram_blues wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:55 pm
duszek wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:32 pm One could write like this:

"Very late in life I finally realized that I had to lie at least 10 times a day in order to be an adult. I started a chart and made a point for each lie. On days when I was not able to make a point I got worried."

This would be life from the point of view of a disappointed idealistic person.
Someone like David Foster Wallace perhaps. Who ended up badly.
I seem to remember, in a previous PN chapter - that you once recommended, or mentioned, his 'Infinite Jest' which I then attempted to read. Perhaps it was someone else...
Anyway, it is such an extraordinary book - I think I had to give up first time round, then revisited it some time later.

Is that quote one of his, or a character. Or both ? Have you tried to keep such a chart ? I wonder what caused his 'realization' so late in life...and why would it worry him when he couldn't lie...

Anyway, ' Infinite Jest' is described by one reviewer as a lifechanger. Did it have that effect on you?
Trouble is, the review was kinda short. 'Sorta changed my life'.
Could be a bit of an understatement, and we are kinda left wondering 'How?'
No, I did not quote from "Infinite Jest", I just printed something spontaneously as an example of someone focusing on one particular aspect of his life: honesty and lying.

Another aspect could be: how I move from one love to another (and got cheated by some conmen on the way too) because love is the best.

Another person could describe his life focusing on his bank account.

Another one focusing on watching weight.

Another one focusing on jogging performance.

A book worm could tell how certain books made a difference to his life. Anything else being secondary.

A jokster could tell which jokes accompanied him in his life.

A gourmet could tell the story of his meal discoveries.

I'm still intrigued by the quote - you 'just printed something spontaneously' - so, is it your own writing? If so, are you that ' disappointed idealistic person' ?

Yes, I think we could also mix it up a little - a collector of recipe books reflecting interests in world cuisine - travels to Italy - checking bank balance beforehand. So, 'a peek through the keyhole' of any door can make us gasp in wonder...the Knights of Malta gate on Rome's Aventine Hill...frames the door of St Peter's in the distance.

Perhaps we need the distance...
to gain a better perspective ?
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

duszek wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:48 pm A good starting point could be to realize whether there have been any turning points in one´s life.

The turning points could be analyzed and important personal criteria could be discoverd which in turn would allow a deep access into a person´s personality.
Yes, I think that can be done both during the change points themselves, to help get through the transition or in retrospect. And even back to front - taking the person's personality first.

Even writing as you live can allow access to your thoughts and feelings of gratitude to others.
I'm thinking of Marcus Aurelius.

Have just discovered Horace !!!
From wiki - the world's first autobiographer...his writings tells us far more about himself, his character, his development, and his way of life than any other great poet in antiquity...
Last edited by marjoram_blues on Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

@ Dalek Prime - thanks for providing author's name etc.
So, did you have a turning point after reading such books, or did you seek them out following reflection on your own life...or Life in general ?

I remember our previous discussions, and your point of view.
I read the reviews, and yes, it sounds like a substantial read.
I'm always curious about the background of an author, and what might have happened, or not happened, in their life for them to reach a fixed conclusion or attitude.
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

Epiphanies, Affirmation and Dreams

'Why do all the bad things in life happen to us?
Why do all the good things in life happen to us?'

( Rankin explains that entry as being torn between two worlds; Edinburgh University v Life and Death at home )

My Teenage Diary - Ian Rankin Special
BBC Radio 4 ( 29 days left to listen )

Processing stuff by writing down, and then reading back from a distance.

Life can change extraordinarily e.g. depending on school results. Rankin got a C in Economics, and so didn't become an accountant. Doing the books for the bookies. Not a chance !
He speaks it better than whot I can.
Do listen - it's funny and insightful.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

marjoram_blues wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:18 am @ Dalek Prime - thanks for providing author's name etc.
So, did you have a turning point after reading such books, or did you seek them out following reflection on your own life...or Life in general ?

I remember our previous discussions, and your point of view.
I read the reviews, and yes, it sounds like a substantial read.
I'm always curious about the background of an author, and what might have happened, or not happened, in their life for them to reach a fixed conclusion or attitude.
I actually forget where I stumbled across antinatalism. I do recall she was an eloquent poster on some of the AN sites, and decided to write a book, which actually goes beyond what I usually stick to regarding birth, as I rarely think about euthanasia, abortion etc. Main reason is, birth control impacts no lives. The others, not so.

I do understand that she has been through a lot in her life, and it's taken a toll. But then, many can say that.

Anyway, very smart person, she is. Brings up issues many don't think about.
duszek

Post by duszek »

marjoram_blues wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:59 am

I'm still intrigued by the quote - you 'just printed something spontaneously' - so, is it your own writing? If so, are you that ' disappointed idealistic person' ?

I have not tried to write an autobiography yet.
Honesty has been an issue in my life.
To lie or not to lie has been a question that has bothered me a lot.

The "quote" is a spontaneous example of a biography of a person who also has problems with honesty, speaking one´s mind and lying.
duszek

Post by duszek »

The fortune teller just look at a person and know the story of their life.

If we watched those around us better we might be able to do it too.

Body language speaks volumes, of the present and past (and future) of the body and the soul in it.
-1-

Post by -1- »

duszek wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:32 pm One could write like this (ALERT: I ALTERED THE TEXT, PLEASE READ CARFULLY):

"Very late in life I finally realized that I had to lie down at least 10 times a day in order to be an adult. I started a chart and made a point for each lying down. On days when I was not able to make a point I got worried."
A different take on the same issue: artificially regimenting one's own behaviour in the hope of some betterment. In the original version, a person decided to lie to others ten times a day. In real life, you have to capitulate to others' will ten times every day, even if your own best judgement screams not to do so.

We live in a society, and social living's numero uno principle is "give some to take some". It's not always good what you get, or what you give; you cheat others, others cheat you; but by-and-large, a society where people adhere to the rules (whatever they are) is a stable system, and stability is the most important thing for society's survival.

How does this related to reading your life as if it were a book? Life can be lived as a big experiment, and your life-novel is a log book.
duszek

Post by duszek »

-1- wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:46 am
duszek wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:32 pm One could write like this (ALERT: I ALTERED THE TEXT, PLEASE READ CARFULLY):

"Very late in life I finally realized that I had to lie down at least 10 times a day in order to be an adult. I started a chart and made a point for each lying down. On days when I was not able to make a point I got worried."
A different take on the same issue: artificially regimenting one's own behaviour in the hope of some betterment. In the original version, a person decided to lie to others ten times a day. In real life, you have to capitulate to others' will ten times every day, even if your own best judgement screams not to do so.

We live in a society, and social living's numero uno principle is "give some to take some". It's not always good what you get, or what you give; you cheat others, others cheat you; but by-and-large, a society where people adhere to the rules (whatever they are) is a stable system, and stability is the most important thing for society's survival.

How does this related to reading your life as if it were a book? Life can be lived as a big experiment, and your life-novel is a log book.
Forgive me for being slow on the uptake but how can lying down make one more mature ? :?:

Another idea for a life story:

The personal experiments one did during one´s life and one´s personal working hypotheses one has investigated.

Lying could be just one of the experiments that had important repercussions on one´s life.

Other possible experiments:
losing weight (not relevant in my life so far)
certain techniques to build up muscles
literary endeavours (not sure about the spelling)
meditation
yoga
dieting
toast masters
golf
bridge
charitable works
philosophising
gardening