WHAT MIND IS

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

HexHammer

Re: WHAT MIND IS

Post by HexHammer »

ken wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:26 pm
HexHammer wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:01 pm
ken wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:31 am But the ONLY evidence I have talked about is in what is written here, for all to see.
That's no evidence,it's twisted nonsensical circular logic.
The ONLY evidence I have talked about is the NO evidence that you have provided, which actually supports your belief, that this is nonsense and babble.

You said that My so called "evidence" are grabbed out of thin air. But the actual truth is I NEVER used any evidence at all. I just gave a view of what I observe.

If you have some actual evidence of what MIND actually is, then it would be interesting to see that. Until then all that you said here is that what I say, thus observe, is nonsense and babble. You say this but provide absolutely NO evidence for it, other than only that is what you observe and have said, which by the way is what you observe and say a lot and quite often. In fact I do not immediately recall what other views and opinions you actually have. Also, I already noticed that some one already noted that by luck or chance that you would have to get it right one time, and that has already happened.
What kind of job do you have?
surreptitious57

Post by surreptitious57 »

ken wrote:
What do you mean by having an open mind
Having an open mind means one does not believe or disbelieve anything and only accepts
something as being either true or false where they can actually be demonstrated to be so
ken

Post by ken »

surreptitious57 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:08 pm
ken wrote:
What do you mean by having an open mind
Having an open mind means one does not believe or disbelieve anything and only accepts
something as being either true or false where they can actually be demonstrated to be so
ONCE AGAIN, you have taken only a tiny snippet of what I have said, and replied to that. In other words the whole context of what I said is NOT what you are replying to. What I said was;

However, you again seem to ignore the actual other questions I was asking you in relation to this, some of which are, What do you mean by having an open mind ...?. If 'mind' is merely thoughts produced by the human brain, as you are suggesting it is, then what do you mean by having open thoughts produced by the human brain when you say, "having an open mind"?
EchoesOfTheHorizon

Post by EchoesOfTheHorizon »

If Mind = Universe, and you "value" withholding assent to premature judgment, where then does paradox and contradiction sit in your theory of non-duality? It is, after all, exactly what you are proposing, a Advaitian theory of Non-Dualism, Mind is Everything, like Mark Twain's "Mysterious Stranger".

Paradox and Contradiction has always delicately straddled our theories of skepticism and empiricism, why we don't general stick to pure theories of perception rejecting abstraction. Why we stuff full science with methodology, and not just mere voyeurism. Judgment sits central to this. Axiomatic certainty as well to larger theories. The ability to connect the sense of self to mathematical and special concepts of "universe" and "perspectives". You have to assume a lot of ideological concepts just to have this outlook that seemingly can otherwise do without formulaic presumptions. You can't honestly accept the universe as it is, if you presume it 'a priori' prior to appreciating it. Did men in eras prior to the concept of a universe do the same, with their senses, in figuring out how to balance emotions like contentment and peaceful bliss, with a casually tied awareness of self and others within habitat, environment, surroundings, world, state, tribe, village, nation, cosmos, etc.....

Are you aware of the full range of the psychology of linking judging vs perceiving with universal calculations, and further linking this to identify? Are there other ways this exact psychology, if you were to mimick it in another, for it to express itself? Perhaps you are suppressing our spacial identity in your mind, as well as causality, and are seeking a end presumption (teleological) without having to do the work of supporting the traits of complexity we all have, as "universe" already calculates it for you. It must all be in it, so no need to calculate. Furthermore, it is just mind, so isn't even a real concern, so no further need to calculate. Yet paradox and contradictions exist in the larger world. We see them daily. People die constantly, we loose and grieve. Universe doesn't contract, just aspects of our understanding and universe self. Our atoms don't get smaller or larger upon dyimg or being born.
Celebritydiscodave2

Post by Celebritydiscodave2 »

Most contributions here add nothing to the pool, such, there has been little to know philosophical process/progression. Borrowed sentiment adds nothing and the internet has grown fat on it. This is not the stuff of philosophy, not if philosophy is to have any significant value. Let`us collectively bring together here, and now, every contribution which is of potential value, so which may be novel, and thus aid the progression of this science, philosophy. for then, and only then, do we begin to do something worthwhile. Those of you which believe in "cause and affect" should be able to take this debate some very interesting places. For instance, it is possible to argue that we are no more than onlookers of our minds, that the perception of ownership, on any single level, is merely an "add on" perception. To take it from here would be my suggestion, the principal always being to try and discover new ground.

Echo
But it is not possible to use the mind in trying to figure out how to balance senses. There is no direct mental control here. This is outside the remit for a human mind. Yes, the mind is complex.
Celebritydiscodave2

Are you aware of the full range of the psychology of linking judging vs perceiving with universal calculations, and further linking this to identify? Are there other ways this exact psychology, if you were to mimick it in another, for it to express itself? Perhaps you are suppressing our spacial

This does n`t make sense, perhaps to you as you wrote it. The clearer you communicate the stronger the point, if indeed there is one? How can you compare judging with perceiving, judging with empathy, perhaps, or perception with non perceptiveness. Judging is part and parcel of perception. To make any philosophical inroads it is also vital to stick solely with singular concepts, and for their entire journey. It is the extending of this journey which we should be looking for. Stand to one side of your current perceptions and think anew.
GreatandWiseTrixie

Post by GreatandWiseTrixie »

surreptitious57 wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:33 pm I define Mind as Consciousness existing throughout the Universe namely something that has always existed and will always exist so is not only
limited to human beings. Consciousness here does not mean brain function but simply ALL THERE IS which is the definition of Universe too so
therefore Consciousness is another word for Universe. Now I did recently say that the Universe is within Existence but Existence is more than
the Universe though this is wrong because the Universe is ALL THERE IS. The reason that I said that is because I was ONLY thinking of the non
conscious physical Universe not the conscious physical Universe that includes human beings. So I think the words Mind and Consciousness and
Universe and Existence all mean EXACTLY the same thing. To avoid confusion I will just use one of those words from now on. And that is Mind
So you explain this to me. You say Consciousness has always existed and will always exist. And Consciousness is ALL THERE IS. Except yours. Your consciousness is not part of "ALL THERE IS" and will not always exist, after your die, your Consciousness, which is a different Consciousness from the one that is "ALL THERE IS" will just die off and not always exist. And you will be dead forever never ever being Conscious of life again, you say.

Please explain this so-called logic of yours.
surreptitious57

I no longer think Consciousness is something which has always existed as this only applies to the Universe
Consciousness can only apply to minds which have the ability to think and experience but to nothing else
Celebritydiscodave2

Mind is simply the collective ultimate best survival mech available.
OuterLimits

Post by OuterLimits »

Celebritydiscodave2 wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:07 pm Mind is simply the collective ultimate best survival mech available.
Does your usage of mind include first person subjective experience? Is it different from brain?
surreptitious57

Sometimes mind and brain are used synonymously but they mean slightly different things for mind is a function of the brain
And mind would reference first person subjective experience and actually nothing else as everyones mind is unique to them