For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

marjoram_blues

Re: Humanism on my mind

Post by marjoram_blues »

surreptitious57 wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:11 pm
marjoram blues wrote:
surreptitious57 wrote:
What is real is what exists which is ALL THERE IS which is the Universe. What is less real is the subjective interpretation human
beings regularly apply to what is real. It is less real not because thoughts are not real but because what they say is not true. As
a false thought is part of the Universe but what it says about the Universe is not true. It is both real and false at the same time
And any thoughts on humanism
I am a humanist although I do not describe myself as such preferring atheist or nihilist instead. And therefore I do agree with the basic principle
of humanism that human beings are ultimately responsible for their own existence and we should collectively strive to make it the best possible
one for all of humanity. Not an ideal ever in danger of being realised. But it does not mean it still cannot be worked towards. Even if in my case
it merely extends to self improvement given how I am a virtual recluse and therefore have nothing to do with other human beings. But I am still
growing as a human being in my own way. Insignificant as that may be in the grand scheme of things. And that will carry on till my very last day
Thanks - interesting that you include 'nihilism'. I can see the obvious link to atheism but I have a mental block when someone describes themself as nihilistic. Have never applied myself to understanding this point of view.
I'd be grateful if you could describe what it means for you, and how it is compatible with humanism, please.
I am with you in life-long learning. It's never too late 8)
surreptitious57

Post by surreptitious57 »

marjoram blues wrote:
surreptitious57 wrote:
I am a humanist although I do not describe myself as such preferring atheist or nihilist instead
And therefore I do agree with the basic principle of humanism that human beings are ultimately responsible for their own existence
and we should collectively strive to make it the best possible one for all of humanity. Not an ideal ever in danger of being realised
But it does not mean it still cannot be worked towards. Even if in my case it merely extends to self improvement given how I am
a virtual recluse and therefore have nothing to do with other human beings. But I am still growing as a human being in my own
way. Insignificant as that may be in the grand scheme of things. And that will carry on till my very last day
Thanks - interesting that you include nihilism. I can see the obvious link to atheism but I have a mental block
when someone describes themself as nihilistic. Have never applied myself to understanding this point of view
I would be grateful if you could describe what it means for you and how it is compatible with humanism please
I am not a nihilist in the classical sense. That is someone who suffers from anhedonia and sees no meaning to anything at all including their own
existence. I am a nihilist in a very specific sense which is there being no objective meaning to Life or to the Universe. Just that and nothing else
I can still give subjective meaning to my life [ which I do ] and live it accordingly. Furthermore the absence of objective meaning is not for me a negative position but a neutral one because it is not deterministic. And one is therefore free to choose between all freely realisable alternatives
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

surreptitious57 wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:40 am
marjoram blues wrote:
surreptitious57 wrote:
I am a humanist although I do not describe myself as such preferring atheist or nihilist instead
And therefore I do agree with the basic principle of humanism that human beings are ultimately responsible for their own existence
and we should collectively strive to make it the best possible one for all of humanity. Not an ideal ever in danger of being realised
But it does not mean it still cannot be worked towards. Even if in my case it merely extends to self improvement given how I am
a virtual recluse and therefore have nothing to do with other human beings. But I am still growing as a human being in my own
way. Insignificant as that may be in the grand scheme of things. And that will carry on till my very last day
Thanks - interesting that you include nihilism. I can see the obvious link to atheism but I have a mental block
when someone describes themself as nihilistic. Have never applied myself to understanding this point of view
I would be grateful if you could describe what it means for you and how it is compatible with humanism please
I am not a nihilist in the classical sense. That is someone who suffers from anhedonia and sees no meaning to anything at all including their own
existence. I am a nihilist in a very specific sense which is there being no objective meaning to Life or to the Universe. Just that and nothing else
I can still give subjective meaning to my life [ which I do ] and live it accordingly. Furthermore the absence of objective meaning is not for me a negative position but a neutral one because it is not deterministic. And one is therefore free to choose between all freely realisable alternatives
OK, you know something, I think that is pretty much my position too but I wouldn't have described it as nihilistic.