Einstein and the Cosmic Man

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Nick_A

Einstein and the Cosmic Man

Post by Nick_A »

The question of objective human meaning and purpose has included a lot of controversy as to the existence of God, the nature of Man, and the conscious connection between Man and God. Atheists deny it, fundamentalists insist on the personal God. What does a person do when they feel something different as to the nature of Man and the existence of God that provides the experience of objective meaning and purpose? How do they inwardly grow from their questions?

Einstein was that way. He was disappointed with school and its efforts at indoctrination. Was it worth it? Maybe his letter can help in our understanding. I’ll post what resonates with me. Feel free to post your impressions on Einstein’s letter.

http://upliftconnect.com/spiritual-wisd ... -einstein/

Though doubting authority and teachers, Einstein was attracted to the interactions of universal laws and the wholeness they produce within nature
Creation may be spiritual in origin, but that doesn’t mean that everything created is spiritual. How can I explain such things to you? Let us accept the world is a mystery. Nature is neither solely material nor entirely spiritual.
Man, too, is more than flesh and blood; otherwise, no religions would have been possible. Behind each cause is still another cause; the end or the beginning of all causes has yet to be found.
Creation including Man is an effect with a cause that we can only appreciate through the experience of the interactions of universal laws
If I hadn’t an absolute faith in the harmony of creation, I wouldn’t have tried for thirty years to express it in a mathematical formula. It is only man’s consciousness of what he does with his mind that elevates him above the animals, and enables him to become aware of himself and his relationship to the universe.
I believe that I have cosmic religious feelings. I never could grasp how one could satisfy these feelings by praying to limited objects. The tree outside is life, a statue is dead. The whole of nature is life, and life, as I observe it, rejects a God resembling man.
Man has infinite dimensions and finds God in his conscience. [A cosmic religion] has no dogma other than teaching man that the universe is rational and that his highest destiny is to ponder it and co-create with its laws.
According to Einstein then, Man’s human obligation is to co-create with universal laws rather than live with blind obedience to Man’s laws.
The genuine scientist is not moved by praise or blame, nor does he preach. He unveils the universe and people come eagerly, without being pushed, to behold a new revelation: the order, the harmony, the magnificence of creation!
And as man becomes conscious of the stupendous laws that govern the universe in perfect harmony, he begins to realize how small he is. He sees the pettiness of human existence, with its ambitions and intrigues, its ‘I am better than thou’ creed.
This is the beginning of cosmic religion within him; fellowship and human service become his moral code. Without such moral foundations, we are hopelessly doomed.
Realistic humility. It seems to be a diminishing trait in modern society and I seriously doubt that the egoism of technological influences will ever allow it.
If we want to improve the world we cannot do it with scientific knowledge but with ideals. Confucius, Buddha, Jesus and Gandhi have done more for humanity than science has done.
We must begin with the heart of man—with his conscience—and the values of conscience can only be manifested by selfless service to mankind.
Religion and science go together. As I’ve said before, science without religion is lame and religion without science is blind. They are interdependent and have a common goal—the search for truth.
What is conscience? As I understand it we are born with conscience and morality is indoctrinated. Modern society respects scientific knowledge and prefers indoctrination. But can objective conscience and scientific knowledge become equally respected?
Many people think that the progress of the human race is based on experiences of an empirical, critical nature, but I say that true knowledge is to be had only through a philosophy of deduction. For it is intuition that improves the world, not just following a trodden path of thought.
Intuition makes us look at unrelated facts and then think about them until they can all be brought under one law. To look for related facts means holding onto what one has instead of searching for new facts.
Intuition is the father of new knowledge, while empiricism is nothing but an accumulation of old knowledge. Intuition, not intellect, is the ‘open sesame’ of yourself.
Indeed, it is not intellect, but intuition which advances humanity. Intuition tells man his purpose in this life.
I do not need any promise of eternity to be happy. My eternity is now. I have only one interest: to fulfill my purpose here where I am.
This purpose is not given me by my parents or my surroundings. It is induced by some unknown factors. These factors make me a part of eternity.”
If objective awakening to human meaning and purpose in accordance with universal laws comes through intuition, is it realistic to believe that the modern emphasis on dualistic thought and the intolerance towards anything suggesting a higher source of consciousness will allow it, at least not for another hundred years? What will it take for Man to leave the prison of Plato's cave and become cosmic man?
davidm

Re: Einstein and the Cosmic Man

Post by davidm »

Nick_A wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:29 pm
The genuine scientist is not moved by praise or blame, nor does he preach.
IOW, you're the exact opposite of Einstein.
Greta

Post by Greta »

davidm wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:33 pm
Nick_A wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:29 pm
The genuine scientist is not moved by praise or blame, nor does he preach.
IOW, you're the exact opposite of Einstein.
Exactly. No one blames or preaches more :lol:

Einstein was a genius and an atheist or agnostic. Nick is just a Trump-loving misogynist and would-be fascist who believes that the church should control children's education and that his preferred religious indoctrination should be paid for with the taxes of atheists and agnostics.

Now Nick tries a "new" tactic - to co-opt a "secular" legend. He thinks he's being clever but theists have been trying to misrepresent Einstein as one of them for decades. Then, as now, Einstein's words are misrepresented. What he doesn't understand is that Einstein was not talking about theistic idiot intuition and imagination - wildly making stuff up - but those abilities applied to deep questions of science. He is like a four year old pretending that he's drinking with the adults because someone let him have a sip of beer.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

What a stupid title. Einstein wasn't anymore cosmic than the rest of us. He was an exceptional physicist (by no means the only one in the 20th century). If it weren't for that, the rest of what he thought and wrote would of no concern to anyone.

If you wear out one thread, you start another! Ain't that so!
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Do you see the problem. Those who oppose the need for truth by those like Einstein that is absent during their young education express a form of secular intolerance. They attack all those who support the need for truth not present in secular education by either attacking them or those who support them.

Einstein is very clear in what he believes. I encourage you to read the letter for yourself. It is very deep and heartfelt. It does prove that there is a minority who are not confined to the senses for establishing human meaning and purpose. They have experienced by intuition the reality - the inner conscious direction leading to the cause of what we experience as the world.

If philosophy is indeed the love of wisdom, those interested in philosophy must question if science can supply what is necessary to satisfy the needs of the heart for the experience of wisdom. If not, we have to open to the spiritual experience of what exists behind these laws as their source. To define it is idolatry. But we can open to experience what intuition offers.

The secularists will try to kill the ideas in the letter but don't let it bother you. Feel free to discuss and question. We owe it to ourselves not to close off to the truths of what our heart calls us to even though many are against them.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Dubious wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:38 pm What a stupid title. Einstein wasn't anymore cosmic than the rest of us. He was an exceptional physicist (by no means the only one in the 20th century). If it weren't for that, the rest of what he thought and wrote would of no concern to anyone.

In Search of the Cosmic Man is the title given to the beginning of the letter. Why does it frighten you?
davidm

Post by davidm »

As has been repeatedly shown to you, Einstein did not believe in a personal god, did not believe in an after life, and did not believe that the universe itself was somehow "conscious." You completely misconstrue, no doubt deliberately, what he was talking about.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Nick_A wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:44 pm
Dubious wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:38 pm What a stupid title. Einstein wasn't anymore cosmic than the rest of us. He was an exceptional physicist (by no means the only one in the 20th century). If it weren't for that, the rest of what he thought and wrote would of no concern to anyone.

In Search of the Cosmic Man is the title given to the beginning of the letter. Why does it frighten you?
I don't know! Can you explain why an inherently stupid title equating a human whose name was "Einstein" with Cosmic man should frighten me? Maybe I missed something!

To repeat if it weren't for his theories nothing else of his would be noticed. It's only the pathetic who incessantly quote him and others to give themselves full marks for credibility. Ever consider how petty that is?

Einstein's value resides ONLY in his exceptional theories and nothing else. His brand of wisdom is by no means unique. And don't think that your über menschlicher guru couldn't be one big asshole which virtually negated most of his publically advertised humanism.

Give credit where credit is due but not more!
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

davidm wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:53 am As has been repeatedly shown to you, Einstein did not believe in a personal god, did not believe in an after life, and did not believe that the universe itself was somehow "conscious." You completely misconstrue, no doubt deliberately, what he was talking about.
No, you don't understand his letter. Something has closed you off from even appreciating what he wrote and seek to argue a straw man.
davidm

Post by davidm »

Nick_A wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:59 am
davidm wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:53 am As has been repeatedly shown to you, Einstein did not believe in a personal god, did not believe in an after life, and did not believe that the universe itself was somehow "conscious." You completely misconstrue, no doubt deliberately, what he was talking about.
No, you don't understand his letter. Something has closed you off from even appreciating what he wrote and seek to argue a straw man.
No, I DO understand his letter FAR better than you do; as well as his philosophy. Something has closed you off from understanding that it is wrong to grab women's private parts and then boast about it, and also to vote for Donald Trump.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

From the letter:
Intuition is the father of new knowledge, while empiricism is nothing but an accumulation of old knowledge. Intuition, not intellect, is the ‘open sesame’ of yourself.
Indeed, it is not intellect, but intuition which advances humanity. Intuition tells man his purpose in this life.
I do not need any promise of eternity to be happy. My eternity is now. I have only one interest: to fulfill my purpose here where I am.
This purpose is not given me by my parents or my surroundings. It is induced by some unknown factors. These factors make me a part of eternity.”
This idea for a secularist is like the cross is for a vampire. It asserts that intuition, not intellect advances humanity because it reveals objective human meaning and purpose. There are threads going on now about subjective and objective purpose but Einstein is suggesting what isn’t being discussed. Objective human meaning and purpose is an aspect of universal laws not the demands of a personal god or secular theories. We don’t create them but can remember them through intuition or what Plato called anamnesis. Of course this is poison for the secularist who asserts Man’s subjective interpretations as the ultimate authority. Such poison must be rejected with all the emotional fury one is capable of. But the lover of wisdom impartially consciously ponders and opens the inner path to the goal of intuition.
surreptitious57

Post by surreptitious57 »

Greta wrote:
Einstein was a genius and an atheist or agnostic
He did not identify as an atheist and he was quite explicit in not wishing to be misrepresented as one either
But the position that most closely represented his own was pantheism which sees God entirely in nature and
not at all in any metaphysical sense. The philosopher he most admired was Spinoza who was a pantheist too
surreptitious57

Post by surreptitious57 »

I am not an Atheist. I do not know if I can define myself as a Pantheist ... I am fascinated by Spinozas Pantheism
I admire even more his contributions to modern thought. Spinoza is the greatest of modern philosophers because
he is the first philosopher who deals with the soul and body as one not as two separate things

I believe in Spinozas God who reveals himself in the harmony of all that exists
not in a God who concerns himself with the fate and doings of mankind

This firm belief a belief bound up with a deep feeling in a superior mind that reveals itself in the world
of experience represents my conception of God. In common parlance this may be described as pantheistic
Greta

Post by Greta »

surreptitious57 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:33 am
Greta wrote:
Einstein was a genius and an atheist or agnostic
He did not identify as an atheist and he was quite explicit in not wishing to be misrepresented as one either But the position that most closely represented his own was pantheism which sees God entirely in nature and not at all in any metaphysical sense. The philosopher he most admired was Spinoza who was a pantheist too
If Einstein did not identify as "atheist", this below quote is a classic example of atheist ideation:
Albert Einstein wrote:I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it.
That statement could have just as easily come from Richard Dawkins.

So there's mixed messages coming out, with each tribe keen to claim such a "prize". However, his public comments suggest vacillation between atheism and Spinozan pantheism, which is close to atheism anyway, Hence my terms, "atheist or agnostic" in the earlier post.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

What is cosmic man and how does a person living in the prison of Plato’s cave become a cosmic man?
I believe that we don’t need to worry about what happens after this life, as long as we do our duty here—to love and to serve.
I have faith in the universe, for it is rational. Law underlies each happening. And I have faith in my purpose here on earth. I have faith in my intuition, the language of my conscience, but I have no faith in speculation about Heaven and Hell. I’m concerned with this time—here and now.
Many people think that the progress of the human race is based on experiences of an empirical, critical nature, but I say that true knowledge is to be had only through a philosophy of deduction. For it is intuition that improves the world, not just following a trodden path of thought.
Intuition makes us look at unrelated facts and then think about them until they can all be brought under one law. To look for related facts means holding onto what one has instead of searching for new facts.
I can argue that Panentheism allows for the reconciliation of science and religion which is necessary but so is Man’s potential to leave the confines of Plato’s cave. Unfortunaely it requires allowing what the secularists deny: developing intuition and accepting it as a higher form of intellect.
The secular world struggles against this reality and is content to believe dualistic reason as the ultimate form of intellect. It learns new facts but its collective human perspective remains at the same low level. Einstein writes of a potential human “perspective.” Who cares? Imagination as far too satisfying. The cosmic man remains only for the few willing to see cave life for what it is in relation to human psychological conscious potential and endure the shock of this beginning. Cave Man serves the laws of Plato's cave while Cosmic Man serves universal laws. It is a big step from cave man to cosmic man but some become capable of it.