Einstein and the Cosmic Man

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Dontaskme

Re: Einstein and the Cosmic Man

Post by Dontaskme »

''I am more sympathetic to the doctrine of infused knowledge, and more apt to picture the baby Jesus as more aware of his divinity than our imaginations suggest, mostly because I think that all human babies possess far greater cognition than any of us suspect''

~ Jeff McLeod Ph.D.

Stop abusing our children.

Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Dontaskme wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:37 pm ''I am more sympathetic to the doctrine of infused knowledge, and more apt to picture the baby Jesus as more aware of his divinity than our imaginations suggest, mostly because I think that all human babies possess far greater cognition than any of us suspect''

~ Jeff McLeod Ph.D.

I just posted the next section in the Needleman interview: The Great Unknown is Me - Myself thread. You will understand what they are getting at.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Dontaskme wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:37 pm '' I think that all human babies possess far greater cognition than any of us suspect''

~ Jeff McLeod Ph.D.
_________
I don't really see how he can think it without suspecting it to an equal degree.
I suspect if you were a dog you'd be the kind that follows anyone who pats you on the head. The last person you should be following home is Nick, there's no telling what he'll try to feed you.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Nick_A wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:03 pm I just posted the next section in the Needleman interview:
Fantastic, I'm on my way to ignore it right now.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Harbal wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:36 pm
Nick_A wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:03 pm I just posted the next section in the Needleman interview:
Fantastic, I'm on my way to ignore it right now.
Obviously you suffer from Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia. It doesn't matter though. Even if the football bounces south and the crow flies north the wolf will howl at the moon regardless if the giraffe looks down upon him and Oprah cries. Life will go on.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Nick wrote:
Life will go on.
Intelligent life adapts as it goes.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Belinda wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:20 pm Intelligent life adapts as it goes.
You mean Nick will always be as he is now? Oh dear.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Belinda wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:20 pm Nick wrote:
Life will go on.
Conscious life evolves as it goes. There is a big difference
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Nick_A wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:57 pm
Life will go on.
...you mean if you're already intelligent you don't need to be conscious...or is it the other way around?
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Dubious wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:37 pm
Nick_A wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:57 pm

...you mean if you're already intelligent you don't need to be conscious...or is it the other way around?
This is difficult to explain but Einstein's conception of conscious man doesn't pertain to the amount of facts known. A person with a lot of facts is considered intelligent but the cosmic man has a conscious perspective. Consciousness is a measure of inclusion, not of isolated facts. - the perspective within which facts have their place as ONE.

Simone Weil wrote in "Human Personality"
"The difference between more or less intelligent men is like the difference between criminals condemned to life imprisonment in smaller or larger cells. The intelligent man who is proud of his intelligence is like a condemned man who is proud of his large cell.
Attachment to isolated facts and negative emotions create our cell. Human consciousness enables a person to develop a human perspective making possible receiving from a higher level of conscious reality and giving to below.

Einstein wrote:
“A human being is a part of the whole called by us universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feeling as something separated from the rest, a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty.”
This is a cosmic perspective that can be experienced consciously. It isn't a matter of more facts but the conscious willingness to open to a higher perspective that recognizes the universe as a functioning unified whole within which Man's purpose is served through the process of consciously connecting levels of reality.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Nick quoted Einstein, and commented:
“A human being is a part of the whole called by us universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feeling as something separated from the rest, a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty.”

This is a cosmic perspective that can be experienced consciously. It isn't a matter of more facts but the conscious willingness to open to a higher perspective that recognizes the universe as a functioning unified whole within which Man's purpose is served through the process of consciously connecting levels of reality.

Nick, the higher perspective is a higher moral perspective that derives from scientifically verified knowledge.

The higher perspective cannot be what you call "consciously connecting levels of reality" : that is not scientific but may be a delusion of grandeur.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Belinda wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:02 am
The higher perspective cannot be what you call "consciously connecting levels of reality" : that is not scientific but may be a delusion of grandeur.
Believing in your own thoughts as if those thoughts belonged to you is not a sign of intelligence, this intelligence is dangerous, it means you are only believing in what you want to believe, as you experience it, you are becoming unconscious of the intelligent university that is the universal consciousness permeating through all of levels of reality.

Believing you are the thinker, you live in limitation, a self created delusion of grandeur that only you have carved out for yourself by believing what only you are experiencing.

Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Dontaskme wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:30 am
Believing in your own thoughts as if those thoughts belonged to you is not a sign of intelligence, this intelligence is dangerous, it means you are only believing in what you want to believe, as you experience it, you are becoming unconscious of the intelligent university that is the universal consciousness permeating through all of levels of reality.

Believing you are the thinker, you live in limitation, a self created delusion of grandeur that only you have carved out for yourself by believing what only you are experiencing.

I don't believe in universal consciousness but I do believe in universal reason. On this basis I agree with what Dontaskme wrote.
marjoram_blues

@Belinda 'universal reason' ?

Post by marjoram_blues »

Belinda wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:47 am
Dontaskme wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:30 am

I don't believe in universal consciousness but I do believe in universal reason. On this basis I agree with what Dontaskme wrote.
Belinda, what do you mean by 'universal reason' ?
Is it worthwhile starting a new thread to explore this further ? *
I ask because when I looked it up, there was a reference to Traditional Stoicism, - a philosophical way of life which interests me.
* I want to avoid sidetracking this thread - if you don't wish to start anew, then I might...
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Belinda wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:47 am
Groundbreaking documentary from the genius guys at 'Quantum Gravity Research' about the true nature of reality. This is cutting edge science that will one day change the way we view our reality forever.

Simulation Theory Brand New Evidence! 2017 Duration 30:18

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mH-jYnynT2M