Einstein and the Cosmic Man

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

marjoram_blues

Re: Einstein and the Cosmic Man

Post by marjoram_blues »

AMod wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:29 am marjoram_blues,
marjoram_blues wrote:AMod, if there is a delusional disorder, it's more serious than simply bothering you with it.
There is nothing more serious on this forum than bothering me. :evil:

AMod.
:lol:
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

As I've said before, my primary interest is in the potential for a complimentary relationship between science and religion. Sadly it appears that it will take a long time to outgrow the negativity of egoistic secular intolerance to actualize the obvious. Einstein understood this natural complimentary relationship.

People I admire like Simone Weil, Jacob Needleman, and Basarab Nicolescu all seem optimistic. I remain the doubting pill. I've witnessed too much lunacy with the opposition to have positive feelings. Anyhow, here is wht Einstein wrote on the subject. It just seems we need more cosmic Man and less cave man to make it possible. Will the world allow it?
At first, then, instead of asking what religion is I should prefer to ask what characterizes the aspirations of a person who gives me the impression of being religious: a person who is religiously enlightened appears to me to be one who has, to the best of his ability, liberated himself from the fetters of his selfish desires and is preoccupied with thoughts, feelings and aspirations to which he clings because of their super-personal value . . . Accordingly a religious person is devout in the sense that he has no doubt of the significance of those super-personal objects and goals which neither require nor are capable of rational foundation . . . If one conceives of religion and science according to these definitions then a conflict between them appears impossible. For science can only ascertain what is, but not what should be, and outside of its domain value judgments of all kinds remain necessary. . . . Now, even though the realms of religion and science in themselves are clearly marked off from each other, nevertheless there exist between the two strong reciprocal relationships and dependencies . . . science can only be created by those who are thoroughly imbued with the aspiration toward truth and understanding. This source of feeling, however, springs from the sphere of religion. To this there also belongs the faith in the possibility that the regulations valid for the world of existence are rational, that is, comprehensible to reason. I cannot conceive of a genuine scientist without that profound faith. The situation may be expressed by an image: science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind. . . . a legitimate conflict between science and religion cannot exist. . . . But whoever has undergone the intense experience of successful advances made in this domain is moved by profound reverence for the rationality made manifest in existence. By way of the understanding he achieves a far-reaching emancipation from the shackles of personal hopes and desires, and thereby attains that humble attitude of mind toward the grandeur of reason incarnate in existence, and which, in its profoundest depths, is inaccessible to man. This attitude, however, appears to me to be religious, in the highest sense of the word. (“Science and Religion”: Address at the Conference on Science, Philosophy, and Religion in Their Relation to the Democratic Way of Life, New York, 1940; in Ideas and Opinions [Crown: New York, 1954, 1982], p. 46; also published in Nature, 146: 605-607 [1940] )
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

AMod wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:25 am Dontaskme,
Dontaskme wrote:What sort of A Mod are you?
A tyrannical one.

Maybe this will help as it was my old sig when we allowed them,

"Let it not be said that this is not a benevolent tyranny"
One who doesn't respond to simple honest and genuine request. One who ignores without so much as an explanation or reason.
See above.
I asked via a PM for the removal of a thread I created on Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:33 am ...It was never removed.
Did you? I must have ignored it after you first got someone else to ask me.

Yeah, I guess at the time it felt a harmless thing to do, but then I guess it was actually a very stupid thing to do in light of your reaction.

Not that I really care, there's no point crying over spilt milk,
And yet here you are doing just that?
Regrets are not a crime. If only we knew prior to our actions the consequences, sadly, this is impossible.I had no idea you would react by assuming Harbal was taking the piss..

but am just curious as to why there was silence after I'd made the effort to communicate with you. It's common courtesy to acknowledge a PM even if it was just to say sorry it is not my policy to delete threads once the contents have been submitted. But then any decision to acknowledge or not is a power that belongs to yours truly I'm assuming

See the beginning above.

AMod.
Okay, message acknowledged and understood.

Now, can you please delete the thread in question thanks.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Nick_A wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:08 pm
the Great Beast.
Maybe using that terminology is what's scaring the straights.

As for me, I love it, reminds me of the ''beauty and the beast'' story. :lol:
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Dontaskme wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:07 am Now, can you please delete the thread in question thanks.
I think AMod may construe this as you continuing to bother him. If you would just forget about the thread, instead of drawing attention to it, I'm sure everyone else would do the same.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Harbal wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:40 am
Dontaskme wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:07 am Now, can you please delete the thread in question thanks.
I think AMod may construe this as you continuing to bother him. If you would just forget about the thread, instead of drawing attention to it, I'm sure everyone else would do the same.

Re: From the Moderator. Please read this.
Report this post
Post by AMod » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:57 pm

To All,

If you start a thread please take responsibility for it. If you think posts are off-topic or irrelevant to the subject you raised PM me and I will, upon reasonable consideration, remove them. On the whole I will look favourably upon such a request.

AMod

_________

I guess that was just a big fat lie then. :?

Dear Mod..I started a thread and then decided that my posts are off topic and irrelevant to the subject I myself started. I therefore request a deletion of the thread if that's not too difficult for you that is. If it is, then lets just call the whole thing off, it's no real big deal, people are right this minute dying of cancer and other agonising diseases.

I would like to take responsibility for my thread by requesting it be deleted.

Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Sorry for using your thread to get a point across Nick about having a thread deleted...but I want everyone to see this...to see the insanity that is the human mind.

marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

Dontaskme wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:03 am Sorry for using your thread to get a point across Nick about having a thread deleted...but I want everyone to see this...to see the insanity that is the human mind.

And yet you want to erase a fine example of that in ' The Queen'. Logically, you should let it stand.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

marjoram_blues wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:08 am
Dontaskme wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:03 am Sorry for using your thread to get a point across Nick about having a thread deleted...but I want everyone to see this...to see the insanity that is the human mind.

And yet you want to erase a fine example of that in ' The Queen'. Logically, you should let it stand.
Yes you are correct. And I'm happy to let it stand.

My only point is to highlight the madness that is the human mind. In that what ever comes out of the mouth of humans is indeed nothing but a pile of BS

I just wanted to make that perfectly clear so we are not under any more delusion that communication between peoples is a waste of time and energy and it's probably best to keep our big traps shut and keep any opinions to our self...me included.

It's no coincidence that man’s best friend cannot talk.
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

Dontaskme wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:35 am
the Great Beast.

The 'straights' - is that one of the cliques you were talking of earlier?
'The Great Beast' doesn't mean a damned thing - another piece of silly nonsense.
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

Dontaskme wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:14 am
marjoram_blues wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:08 am

Yes you are correct. And I'm happy to let it stand.

My only point is to highlight the madness that is the human mind. In that what ever comes out of the mouth of humans is indeed nothing but a pile of BS

I just wanted to make that perfectly clear so we are not under any more delusion that communication between peoples is a waste of time and energy and it's probably best to keep our big traps shut and keep any opinions to our self...me included.

It's no coincidence that man’s best friend cannot talk.
You clearly are far from happy, given your continued harping on.
Sometimes, silence is golden. Other times, it is unforgivable.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

marjoram_blues wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:15 am
Dontaskme wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:35 am
the Great Beast.

The 'straights' - is that one of the cliques you were talking of earlier?
'The Great Beast' doesn't mean a damned thing - another piece of silly nonsense.
Yes, what ever dialog we choose to use, it's all just silly banter, get over it...we take it all so deadly serious, that's what I'm trying to point out.

Lets just laugh at the fictional stories we tell about ourselves..and celebrate our realness which is this alive presence now watching and reading.

Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

marjoram_blues wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:18 am
You clearly are far from happy, given your continued harping on.
Pure idol projection. None of which is what I AM
Last edited by Dontaskme on Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Dontaskme wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:49 am
Dear Mod..I started a thread and then decided that my posts are off topic and irrelevant to the subject I myself started.
I think this is the first time I've seen anyone complaining to the mods about themself. What a rare example of impartiality.
it's no real big deal,
I'd be interested in seeing how much fuss you make when it is a big deal then.
people are right this minute dying of cancer and other agonising diseases.
I think caring for the terminally ill is outside AMod's remit, I feel sure he would regard it as a "bother".
I would like to take responsibility for my thread by requesting it be deleted.
I think taking responsibility for something is more to do with living with the consequences rather than getting someone else to make it go away.