Are great philosophers living among us?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

LaSlo

Are great philosophers living among us?

Post by LaSlo »

Nowadays, many people are saying that we are suffering lack of great philosophers... For me it is really compelling. At the beginning of XX it was easy to name living great philosophers. However, now it is much harder to name even one living truly great philosopher. What are You thinking about that?
Eodnhoj7

Re: Are great philosophers living among us?

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

LaSlo wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:36 pm Nowadays, many people are saying that we are suffering lack of great philosophers... For me it is really compelling. At the beginning of XX it was easy to name living great philosophers. However, now it is much harder to name even one living truly great philosopher. What are You thinking about that?

Great in whose eyes exactly? With the emphasis on materiality and moral relativism as the sole axioms to truth, philosophy (and most modern philosophers) is just a fad.

The ability to observe not only the concrete but the abstract nature of reality is what defined the majority of "the greats", and with the emphasis on the aforementioned axioms and the inability of the current and younger generations inability to view things abstractly (in a logical non-emotional manner) any "great" philosopher existing today will only be considered "great" long after he is dead.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

grate philosopher -

to cheese or not to cheese, that is the question...

wait...

-Imp
Melchior

Post by Melchior »

Yes. Alfred S. Newman, in the Bronx.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

I don't know. Where exactly do you live?
Celebritydiscodave2

Post by Celebritydiscodave2 »

We are very unlikely to identify great philosophers, this because there is a talent eliminating mind controlling educational structure which one must pass through, taking it of course that one feels sufficiently inadequate to wish to pass through this hoop to begin with. This long before any recognition as being capable of thought/of contributing/of being a philosopher in the first place. We`ll likely never know whilst philosophy continues to be owned by an institution, and its direction controlled only by those with fat mortgages to make payment on, and sat in their ivory towers. Philosophy, as far as any individual recognition is concerned, is a club long before it is a process. Those that are quick to fill their minds with the thoughts of others because there are too few thoughts of their own are quick to join it. The process is second best to being a genuine philosopher, and genuine philosophers are not institutionalised into being. It enables one to imagine that they are one, not only this, it also pays the bills.
surreptitious57

Post by surreptitious57 »

The two greatest philosophers on this forum are ken and Dontaskme who are very deep and profound thinkers
And so I must therefore acknowledge their vast intellectual superiority for they are constantly challenging me
GreatandWiseTrixie

Post by GreatandWiseTrixie »

Impenitent wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:45 pm grate philosopher -

to cheese or not to cheese, that is the question...

wait...

-Imp
I, the Great and Wise Trixie, answered this question in a thread for you, which have since responded to. :)
GreatandWiseTrixie

surreptitious57 wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:20 pm The two greatest philosophers on this forum are ken and Dontaskme who are very deep and profound thinkers
And so I must therefore acknowledge their vast intellectual superiority for they are constantly challenging me
You have never won an argument against me, so why am I not on this list also? I am the Great and Wise Trixie.

And what is so great about Dontaskme's philosophy anyway? If it was a videogame I'd give it a rating of only 5/10. Most of his philosophy seems to be directly contradicting Plato's theory of forms, and he always keeps trying to prove that objects don't exist. And the others I read of his just seems to be vagueisms shrouded in metaphor, a technique appealing to the worldly but not the divine. It seems rather superficial and not rooted in exploring depths. An ailment you suffer from as well.

And I look at Ken now. He doesn't even have any threads except 1, just saying hello. Why is he on this list?
It seems like there is this cultural phenomenon of shitty judges somehow coming into power and nominating people you'd never expect. I think I should be the judge here.
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

GreatandWiseTrixie wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:34 pm
surreptitious57 wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:20 pm The two greatest philosophers on this forum are ken and Dontaskme who are very deep and profound thinkers

And I look at Ken now. He doesn't even have any threads except 1, just saying hello.
If that is true, then Ken is the greatest philosopher here.
GreatandWiseTrixie

Eodnhoj7 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:20 am
GreatandWiseTrixie wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:34 pm

And I look at Ken now. He doesn't even have any threads except 1, just saying hello.
If that is true, then Ken is the greatest philosopher here.
Nope.
surreptitious57

GreatandWiseTrixie wrote:
surreptitious57 wrote:
The two greatest philosophers on this forum are ken and Dontaskme who are very deep and profound thinkers
You have never won an argument against me so why am I not on this list also
We engage more at the other place than here so for that reason I did not include you. But you have no evidence that consciousness survives death
and so that is one argument you have never won against me and never will either. However I am not really interested in arguing but in meaningful conversation with people like you who think very differently to me. Although I think most of what you write is nonsense but I still read it any way
surreptitious57

surreptitious57 wrote:
We engage more at the other place than here so for that reason I did not include you
I see you have been permabanned from there which is sad since I will miss you very much you know so I hope you
adopt this place instead but if not then take care and try not to be perpetually miserable for the rest of your life
surreptitious57

You must tell me all of the other forums you post on so that in the very unlikely event of you getting banned from here I
can still engage you. I know that you are on KT but I do not post there although I am a member because I do not like the
aesthetics. Do you want to go back to Turds new forum as he will not ban any one there so that could be your safe space
surreptitious57

http://vivariumforums.createaforum.com

So go over and say hello to him and tell him that ILP has banned you then I shall join
you for a very deep meaningful discussion about death and why it is good to be dead