~ We Are All Bots ~

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Impenitent

Re: ~ We Are All Bots ~

Post by Impenitent »

but we have created choice making machines that make decisions based on surrounding information...

the machines may not be aware of themselves, but the sprinkler system goes off when it is aware of smoke...

-Imp
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

I think the intrusion of Intelligence Technology brought-on by the Third Industrial Revolution; The Digital Revolution is, surprisingly, forcing us to re-examine who we are. Forcing us to re-examine what consciousness is.

To this day I continue to be impressed by the philosophical insights of a Russian mathematician; P.D. Ouspensky.

Ouspensky elegantly differentiated four specific states of consciousness available to a very few, healthy human beings.

I understand that the only thing that differentiates human beings from the emerging influx of every more advanced robots is our ability to experience higher consciousness. Objective consciousness.

Thing is, no one is able to experience objective consciousness. Theoretically, it is possible but it is so difficult to achieve that in-essence, no one is able to directly experience objective consciousness...

A strange reality that we are all facing now is exemplified in the fact that self driving electric cans make thousands of calculations and observations within the span of one second. The strange fact now emerges that we - in no way, are able to make even a fraction of the observations and reactions to the continually changing environments that a self driving electric vehicles routinely make...

So, in some cases, we are not as conscious as most existing, rudimentary robots - if you define consciousness as solely a relationship to our immediate environments.

PauloL

Post by PauloL »

x.................................................................................................x

...................True.
...................I'd like to know something more about Ouspensky.

x.................................................................................................x
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Bill Wiltrack wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:09 am The strange fact now emerges that we - in no way, are able to make even a fraction of the observations and reactions to the continually changing environments that a self driving electric vehicles routinely make...
You don't know that and you are totally unaware of the thousands of observations and reactions that a human being is making while driving that the person is unaware of. Part of the reason we don't have self-driving cars now is that computer programmers are just learning what observations and reactions the computer needs to make to be able to drive, and they are learning that by learning what observations and reactions a human driver already makes without being aware of them.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Computers have difficulty recognizing and identifying what is a human being, yet people do it automatically from a very early age, almost from birth.
PauloL

Post by PauloL »

Our algorithm is much more complex than any computer algorithm.

But are our algorithms unbeatable?

Perhaps not.

The easiest ones like computing and even playing chess were beaten.

Recognizing humans might also be beaten, but not so easy.

The problem is that we have really many algorithms.

Each time you beat one you have another one much more difficult.

Until you enter those [undefined, to start] algorithms related to consciousness.
ken

Post by ken »

Bill Wiltrack wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:09 am .

I think the intrusion of Intelligence Technology brought-on by the Third Industrial Revolution; The Digital Revolution is, surprisingly, forcing us to re-examine who we are. Forcing us to re-examine what consciousness is.

To this day I continue to be impressed by the philosophical insights of a Russian mathematician; P.D. Ouspensky.

Ouspensky elegantly differentiated four specific states of consciousness available to a very few, healthy human beings.

I understand that the only thing that differentiates human beings from the emerging influx of every more advanced robots is our ability to experience higher consciousness. Objective consciousness.

Thing is, no one is able to experience objective consciousness. Theoretically, it is possible but it is so difficult to achieve that in-essence, no one is able to directly experience objective consciousness...

Spoken from a true subjective personal viewpoint.

Having the view that whatever i am not (yet) able to experience, then no one else is able to experience that also speaks for itself.

Trying to project one's own personal views as being what is true and right for every one is so intrinsically wrong that I am surprised people still try to do it.

The contradictory nature of speaking, from a truly subjective perspective, about whether or not one can experience objectively is rather amusing.

Bill Wiltrack wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:09 amA strange reality that we are all facing now is exemplified in the fact that self driving electric cans make thousands of calculations and observations within the span of one second. The strange fact now emerges that we - in no way, are able to make even a fraction of the observations and reactions to the continually changing environments that a self driving electric vehicles routinely make...

So, in some cases, we are not as conscious as most existing, rudimentary robots - if you define consciousness as solely a relationship to our immediate environments.

If you define consciousness as solely a relationship to our immediate environments, then that is a very shallow, subjective, and outward only view of 'consciousness'.

'Consciousness' would entail ALL things, including an inward look at the personal self or selves, and at the real and true Self, as well as looking at ALL the outward things.

There is a difference between the one who only thinks and the One that knows and being able to distinguish between the two and being aware of the difference leads to a much more thorough understanding of 'Consciousness', Itself.