Is fear of hospitals irrational?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

Is fear of hospitals irrational?

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

I think the main reason why people fear hospitals is fear of dying. Some other reasons that come to mind is being alone (away from family) or fear of needles or financial reasons.

Hospitals have a mission to get you better. So what do you think about this?

PhilX 🇺🇸
PauloL

Re: Is fear of hospitals irrational?

Post by PauloL »

x..........................................................................................................x

.............. Just for the asking: Is this a philosophical question?

x..........................................................................................................x
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Who fears hospitals?

I can understand why the American might as it could cost them an arm and a leg and that's ignoring all the unnecessary procedures they may have to undergo due to their private insurance system but the rest of us, I think, don't actually fear hospitals.

Although given the rise of superbugs and the decline in antibiotic efficiency we may well go back to the days of true fear when entering a hospital for a procedure.
Philosophy Explorer

PauloL wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:28 am x..........................................................................................................x

.............. Just for the asking: Is this a philosophical question?

If it wasn't a philosophical question, would you lose interest in the thread?

PhilX 🇺🇸
PauloL

Post by PauloL »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:49 am
If it wasn't a philosophical question, would you lose interest in the thread?

PhilX 🇺🇸
That's not the question. This is a philosophical forum and so threads are expected to have some connection, even if remote, to Philosophy. That's not the case and it's why I questioned. If they start to post here anything not philosophical but likely to catch interest, this forum will expand a lot.
Sir-Sister-of-Suck

Post by Sir-Sister-of-Suck »

I think dignity is another aspect. The idea of being put under the care of a few qualified professions who are going to tell you what you can and can't do, and very few object to them because hey, "they're doctors and know what they're doing"; For some, that's a harder pill to swallow than any drug the hospital is going to give you.
Last edited by Sir-Sister-of-Suck on Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:43 am I think the main reason why people fear hospitals is fear of dying. Some other reasons that come to mind is being alone (away from family) or fear of needles or financial reasons.

Hospitals have a mission to get you better. So what do you think about this?

PhilX 🇺🇸
Many fear infection, which is why low infection rates are a chief metric in qualitative hospital care assessment.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Nope. You sign your autonomy away when you become medicalized. Essentially, you become a prisoner to people who can pretty much do anything to you. Not to mention that a great deal of death is due to medical mishap. Doesn't sound irrational to me at all.
Skip

Post by Skip »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:43 am I think the main reason why people fear hospitals is fear of dying. Some other reasons that come to mind is being alone (away from family) or fear of needles or financial reasons.
None of those fears are irrational.
Add: the indignity of hospital gowns, lack of privacy for even the most personal bodily functions;
being exposed to the scrutiny of strangers, including student doctors and nurses;
the regimen of feeding and medication that utterly disrupts your biorhythms;
the various tests and procedures that may be intrusive, uncomfortable, painful and potentially risky;
the legal waivers you may be asked to sign;
diseases you may be exposed to;
malpractice, misdiagnosis, ineffective treatments, addiction to or bad side-effect of medication
unpalatable food; unpleasant room-mates.

Of course, if you're bleeding profusely or having chest pains, you want to arrive at a hospital as fast as possible.
It's all about the context!

Me, I've worked in two hospitals, been a successfully rehabilitated surgical patient and follow-up outpatient in two others, visited recovering loved ones in several more, taken other people and self to ER, attended ambulatory-care clinics, and followed the romantic and medical adventures of the staff of half a dozen imaginary hospitals on television.
I regard a hospital as a second home.
Philosophy Explorer

Skip wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:16 pm
None of those fears are irrational.
Add: the indignity of hospital gowns, lack of privacy for even the most personal bodily functions;
being exposed to the scrutiny of strangers, including student doctors and nurses;
the regimen of feeding and medication that utterly disrupts your biorhythms;
the various tests and procedures that may be intrusive, uncomfortable, painful and potentially risky;
the legal waivers you may be asked to sign;
diseases you may be exposed to;
malpractice, misdiagnosis, ineffective treatments, addiction to or bad side-effect of medication
unpalatable food; unpleasant room-mates.

Of course, if you're bleeding profusely or having chest pains, you want to arrive at a hospital as fast as possible.
It's all about the context!

Me, I've worked in two hospitals, been a successfully rehabilitated surgical patient and follow-up outpatient in two others, visited recovering loved ones in several more, taken other people and self to ER, attended ambulatory-care clinics, and followed the romantic and medical adventures of the staff of half a dozen imaginary hospitals on television.
I regard a hospital as a second home.
Did you overlook something on your resume?

PhilX 🇺🇸
Skip

Post by Skip »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:19 pm Did you overlook something on your resume?

PhilX 🇺🇸
If you mean that stint at the morgue, it wasn't attached to a hospital; it was at Forensic Sciences.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

I've been in hospital a few times; under anaesthetic twice.
I can think of no better place to be than a hospital when you are ill.
It's a complete no brainer.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Skip wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:28 pm
Philosophy Explorer wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:19 pm Did you overlook something on your resume?

PhilX 🇺🇸
If you mean that stint at the morgue, it wasn't attached to a hospital; it was at Forensic Sciences.
Hmmm. My doctor is also a coroner.
Skip

Post by Skip »

Dalek Prime wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:03 pm Hmmm. My doctor is also a coroner.
Make sure he changes gloves.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Skip wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:10 pm
Dalek Prime wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:03 pm Hmmm. My doctor is also a coroner.
Make sure he changes gloves.
What gloves? :shock: