How far would you accept technology?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

commonsense

Re: How far would you accept technology?

Post by commonsense »

Sir-Sister-of-Suck wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:16 pm
commonsense wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:54 pm Perhaps the fear isn't so much over whether we can adapt as it is that human beings could become subservient to machines. It would be ideal if intelligent machines only improved our lives, but what if they did not? Do we have reason to fear technology?
Why would humans create a machine designed to makes humans subservient?
Inadvertently.
Sir-Sister-of-Suck wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:16 pm I've always thought that the fear of an AI taking over is pretty unintuitive. Mostly because there are a million other things that would probably wipe out the human race first.
Thank you for this gem. It is both intuitive and humorous at the same time.
Sir-Sister-of-Suck wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:16 pm But even something like a self-learning AI has the restrictions of learning only what we want it to.
I did not think that those restrictions were hard-wired, so to speak, although they may be just that. Otherwise, a singular code monkey might enable self-directed self-learning just to see if it could be done. How revolting would that be?
Abunai

Re: How far would you accept technology?

Post by Abunai »

As an individual I'll always be able to accept technology as long as I'm entitled to a piece of land with shelter over my head, food & water to live and my close friends to be on a level of understanding reality as I do.

I couldn't say that I'd accept techobogy any further for humanity as a race when everybody seems so blind and the only people you had faith in so easily gave in when times got tough.