In America...

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

]...[

In America...

Post by ]...[ »

I know. I get it. Americans think EVERYTHING is about us. THIS is an international forum. And I'm proud of that fact. I am proud to be a part of the overall membership here.

This thread IS about all nations. All countries.

In America we are having a renewed interest in the subject of nationalism. To a large degree, due to our present President & some of the things he has said.

In America...one of the most notorious organizations of pure nationalism is, the Klu Klux Klan.

When I look at the origins of the actual name, Klu Klux Klan I find that it's origins could be understood as a world-wide unifier instead of a source of division & violence:

The name of the organization Ku Klux Klan derived from the Greek word "Kuklos", meaning a circle with no beginning or end. "Klan" came from the Scottish word Clan referring to a family, a group of Kinsmen, or a like minded group of believers..

Couldn't the philosophical essence of the phrase, Klu Klux Klan be used to unite peoples of ALL races & ALL nations under a common philosophical humanistic banner?

Arising_uk

Re: In America...

Post by Arising_uk »

I doubt it.

I thought it the sound of a bullet being chambered in a rifle?
]...[

Post by ]...[ »

Perhaps the words Kuklos Klan could replace the former and represent a more universally uniting evolution in thought & deed?

Londoner

Post by Londoner »

You might read 'The Clansman' by T.F.Dixon (1905), the book that inspired the original 'Birth of a Nation'. It is available free online.
]...[

Post by ]...[ »

Dixon wrote The Clansman as a message to Northerners to maintain racial segregation, as the work claimed that blacks when free would turn savage and violent, committing crimes such as murder, rape and robbery far out of proportion to their percentage of the population.

He claimed to write for 18,000,000 southerners who supported his beliefs, though that many never joined the Klan.

Dixon portrays the speaker of the house, Austin Stoneman, as a negro-loving legislator mad with power and eaten up with hate. His goal is to punish the Southern whites for their revolution against an oppressive government by turning the former slaves against the White Southerners and use the iron fist of the Union occupation troops to make them the new masters.

The Klan's job is to protect the White Southerners from the carpetbaggers and their allies, Black and White.

In addition to criticism that The Clansman would stir up sentiment in the South, Dixon's argument that the Klan had saved the South from negro rule was ridiculed by some as absurd.

~ Wiki

..............................................................Image

Londoner

Post by Londoner »

]...[ wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:24 am
~ Wiki
It is better to read things for yourself.
]...[

Post by ]...[ »

I know. You are correct.

For the past six years I have not dedicated any time to read any book.

There is an avalanche, a tsunami, a firestorm of information & entertainment available via the internet.

I'm old. I have read many books.

Now, there is just TOO MUCH! Too much of EVERYTHING. Too much prose. Too much information. Too much disruptive technology. Too much multi-media entertainment to dedicate the time it takes to read an entire book.

The entire collection of humanity is just 14" away from my nose.

Time has become the most valuable commodity for many of us.

I applaud you for dedicating the time to read an entire book.
Kudos.

Walker

Post by Walker »

Ever read this surreal vision of the wild west?
He weaves a strange spell.

Blood Meridian
- Cormack McCarthy

“Loosely based on historical events, the novel follows a fictitious 14-year-old called only ''the kid'' - born in 1833, exactly 100 years before the author - as he drifts through the Southwest. He soon joins an outlaw band of Indian hunters who have been hired by a Mexican governor to return Apache scalps at $100 apiece.”

Quoted from NY Times Review
http://www.nytimes.com/1985/04/28/books ... ml?mcubz=3