Killed Anything Today?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

davidm

Re: Killed Anything Today?

Post by davidm »

Dubious wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:11 pm ...speaking of mentally impaired Americans...

http://globalnews.ca/news/3659694/jimmy ... korea-map/
I don't know whether to :lol: or :cry:

I've lived among these utter morons called Americans my whole life, unfortunately. Yet for some reason, I am still shocked by the emptiness of their heads.

This, and racism, explains how we got Trump.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Dubious wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:11 pm ...speaking of mentally impaired Americans...

Of course they edit the video and only show the people who don't know where N. Korea is. Yes none of them could point to it on a map, none of the people on the clip, and Hollywood Blvd is such a good place to find people who know anything about geography, and Jimmy Kimmel is an excellent investigative reporter.
Sir-Sister-of-Suck

Post by Sir-Sister-of-Suck »

thedoc wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:47 pm
Walker wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:02 am Furthermore, doc, are you sure your hearing was accurate?

Those news accounts may have been referencing brain-dead people.
My hearing and memory are very good.
I don't know. You remember hearing something about dead people voting for hilary clinton, but don't remember where that was from.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

thedoc wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:54 pm

Of course they edit the video and only show the people who don't know where N. Korea is. Yes none of them could point to it on a map, none of the people on the clip, and Hollywood Blvd is such a good place to find people who know anything about geography, and Jimmy Kimmel is an excellent investigative reporter.
Of course there are plenty of Americans who have a reasonable knowledge of geography. But it's long been known - even you guys make jokes about it - that the average American Joe is pathetically ignorant of what lies beyond his immediate range of travel. Anyways, when the U.S. missiles launch, let's hope everyone's aware of the difference between East & West. Accidentally destroying Europe would be a definite no no!
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Immanuel Can wrote:
Greta wrote: ↑Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:03 am
We, as part of the body of humanity on the body of biology built on the bones of geology, actually think and feel almost identically, like microbes and ants, yet our solipsism blinds us to this obvious fact.
(IC replied)I have no idea what conclusion you're trying to draw here, so I can't really formulate a reaction. It just looks to me like fulminating about an "IS," (bones, geology, whatnot) and hoping to get an "OUGHT" to jump out of it...like "we ought not to be solipsistic," or something. But there's no logical connection to suggest how that's supposed to happen, if that's it.
The context of Greta's statement of fact means to me what I recently tried to explain to you, Immanuel. Naturalism provides a base for morality.
We men are natural. Fact. Any moral system which ignores that fact won't work. That any society needs moral consensus is also a fact. A human society's moral consensus is expressed by a myth or myths. The myth of the punitive God suited a society where individuals were subservient to more powerful individuals. The myth of the punitive God does not accord with democracy.
Modern democracy arose simultaneously with increase of reason and knowledge of man's natural inheritance. The upshot of this combination is that educated individuals look for the natural causes of morality, not the supernatural ones. In practice the latter means that educated people look for the natural causes of crime, not the supernatural one that you endorse i.e. that criminals disobey God's commands. This myth once was suited to society, not any more now that we are democratic or aim to be.This punitive God myth suits societies where individuals know their places and obey their social superiors.
I say "educated". You intrigue me, Immanuel. You are clever, no slouch when it comes to reading, and as a result are quite well informed. Yet, oddly, you don't look at man's religious quest and behaviours objectively.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Sir-Sister-of-Suck wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:43 am I don't know. You remember hearing something about dead people voting for hilary clinton, but don't remember where that was from.
I remember what is important to me. I was satisfied with the source when I heard it.
Sir-Sister-of-Suck

thedoc wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:09 pm
Sir-Sister-of-Suck wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:43 am I don't know. You remember hearing something about dead people voting for hilary clinton, but don't remember where that was from.
I remember what is important to me. I was satisfied with the source when I heard it.
Convenient that your memory works so well only so far until it comes to backing up what you remember.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Sir-Sister-of-Suck wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:31 pm
Convenient that your memory works so well only so far until it comes to backing up what you remember.
My memory work fine for me, I offer my opinion for the benefit of others, if you don't like it, so be it.

Why should I remember something that is not important to me, what is important to you, is not to me.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

thedoc wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:42 pm
My memory work fine for me,
You forgot to put an "s" at the end of work, doc.
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Harbal wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:57 pm
My memory work fine for me,
You forgot to put an "s" at the end of work, doc.
Does it help you to understand what doc said better? Some spellcheckers don't perform well.

PhilX
Last edited by Philosophy Explorer on Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sir-Sister-of-Suck

Sir-Sister-of-Suck wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:31 pm

My memory work fine for me, I offer my opinion for the benefit of others, if you don't like it, so be it.

Why should I remember something that is not important to me, what is important to you, is not to me.
You should remember things you have the intention of bringing up as a point. I don't know if I don't like your opinion, because you haven't yet given me any reason to believe or believe against it. You say it's not important to you, but you were the one who brought it up.

You know, if I went posting on a thread and sneaked in a comment like 'Well, maybe so, because Bush did 9/11' people would probably write me off as a loon if the conversation went on and I said 'I don't remember where I heard that from or what my source is, but it's true'. You should probably be ready to defend a controversial claim if you make one.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Sir-Sister-of-Suck wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:20 pm You should remember things you have the intention of bringing up as a point.

You should probably be ready to defend a controversial claim if you make one.
At the time I heard this, I had no intention to bring it up on a forum.

Why?
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Sir-Sister-of-Suck wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:20 pm People would probably write me off as a loon.
Am I supposed to care what other people think of me?

BTW, I know enough people on forums who do like me and respect what I post, if you're not one of them, OK.
Sir-Sister-of-Suck

thedoc wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:48 pm
Sir-Sister-of-Suck wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:20 pm You should remember things you have the intention of bringing up as a point.

You should probably be ready to defend a controversial claim if you make one.
At the time I heard this, I had no intention to bring it up on a forum.

Why?
I like how you cropped out the reason I gave in my quote for why you shouldn't do it; Because I could just as easily reply 'I heard even MORE dead people voted for trump' with the same baited breath, without sourcing any sort of material when challenged to.

And if the statement is made for no one but yourself, then there's no reason to even say it.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Doc, for what it's worth, I respect you less because you approve of capital punishment. Killing people is pretty drastic and you would need to produce some awfully good argument in order to support deliberate killing.