Till death do us part

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

Till death do us part

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Do you believe this part of the marriage vow or its equivalent needs a serious adjustment? How should marriage vows be worded?

PhilX
Harbal

Re: Till death do us part

Post by Harbal »

This is the second marriage related thread you've started, Phil, are you thinking of popping the question?
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

We would hope not to you.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

thedoc wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:05 pm We would hope not to you.
Why not, who would we be hurting? I admit that any kids produced by such a union would more than likely be a bit strange, to say the least, but that's not an issue, I'm well past child bearing age.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Harbal wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:24 pm
thedoc wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:05 pm We would hope not to you.
Why not, who would we be hurting? I admit that any kids produced by such a union would more than likely be a bit strange, to say the least, but that's not an issue, I'm well past child bearing age.
Children are not the issue, you would be hurting each other as I don't think you are compatible.
davidm

Post by davidm »

As someone once said when it was argued that gay marriage would lead to goat-fucking: "Won't someone think of the kids?"
Walker

Post by Walker »

davidm wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:43 pm As someone once said when it was argued that gay marriage would lead to goat-fucking: "Won't someone think of the kids?"
Does this mean that homosexuality is first cousin to bestiality?
Do you believe this part of the marriage vow or its equivalent needs a serious adjustment? How should marriage vows be worded?

PhilX
In order for that vow or any other to work, ego must bow to the vow. This is the purpose of marriage vows or other vows. The vow becomes bigger than the person. Like Malta, it becomes the high point when all else, including selfish ego, is washed away. And, the vow is true. An aid at a rehab clinic told me that in her experience, about 18 months separates the death of close spouses. I’ve seen this verified with family and friends who soon follow their spouses to the final exhalation. Thus, when ego submits to the vow, like the Golden Rule the vow becomes a statement of causality. Ego just gets into the act with prescriptions for behavior.