Is birth prevention a form of genocide?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

Is birth prevention a form of genocide?

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Clearly you're not killing individuals. Yet one group can wipe out another group from the face of the Earth.

Would you regard this as genocide? (I'm on the fence about this myself)

PhilX
Harbal

Re: Is birth prevention a form of genocide?

Post by Harbal »

It just seems a little unkind to knowingly let those millions of sperm set out on their adventure of a lifetime full of false hope.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:28 am Clearly you're not killing individuals. Yet one group can wipe out another group from the face of the Earth.

PhilX
If the birth prevention is aimed at one specific group, then it could be genocide, but if it is aimed at everyone in general, then it is not.
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

thedoc wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:59 pm
Philosophy Explorer wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:28 am Clearly you're not killing individuals. Yet one group can wipe out another group from the face of the Earth.

PhilX
If the birth prevention is aimed at one specific group, then it could be genocide, but if it is aimed at everyone in general, then it is not.
What if it were aimed at everyone to disguise one group being the actual intended target?

PhilX
Necromancer

Post by Necromancer »

PhilX
And what if a woman drops all that sperm into the toilet? And what a crime ejaculation becomes...! God, I'm worried!

NO! Get a grip, man! Genocide is clearly defined as it is! :mrgreen:
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Necromancer wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:43 am

PhilX
And what if a woman drops all that sperm into the toilet? And what a crime ejaculation becomes...! God, I'm worried!

NO! Get a grip, man! Genocide is clearly defined as it is! :mrgreen:
Yes, Genocide is well defined but there is no mention of the means to accomplish it, therefore the OP is a valid question.
White Rook

Post by White Rook »

thedoc wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:34 pmYes, Genocide is well defined but there is no mention of the means to accomplish it, therefore the OP is a valid question.
I agree with Necromancer. Using the word "genocide" in this context drains it of it's meaning. It's an important word and should be saved for when it's really needed.
Wyman

Post by Wyman »

PhilX
I thought genocide involved killing people. So Catholics would have to say 'yes' and everyone else 'No.'