What of the Taoist?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

thangtamfive

What of the Taoist?

Post by thangtamfive »

He does not compete, and is therefore unbeatable. He cooperates, and therefore shares in everyone else's victories.
marjoram_blues

Re: What of the Taoist?

Post by marjoram_blues »

thangtamfive wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:38 pm He does not compete, and is therefore unbeatable. He cooperates, and therefore shares in everyone else's victories.
What of the Taoist?

Definition: an adherent of any branch of Taoism.

Taoism: religion or philosophy, following the teachings of Lao Tzu, Chuang Tzu. Conforming one's behaviour or thinking to the Tao.

Tao: in Taoism, the basic, eternal principle of the universe that transcends reality and is the source of being, non-being and change.

Other definitions as per online dictionary.

Given that any adherent of a religion or philosophy is human, how do you reach your conclusion or claim that:

Such a follower doesn't ever compete and always cooperates.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

Impenitent wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:49 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLgeTtYwQ7o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0nc-hh9viQ

Peter Frampton knew the way ...

-Imp
8)
God above, Imp, you really shouldn't have gone and done that. My heart jumped all the way back to 1976 and melted.
'Show Me the Way' and 'Baby I Love Your Way', hits from the 'Frampton Comes Alive' album.
The way that music spoke to me and turned me on. Probably why my boyfriend bought me the LP.
Wanna be with you night and day...

I always wondered how that speaky sound effect was achieved. And now, I do. Thanks to you and the tube.

Wow, just wow...
How was it for you ?
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

marjoram_blues wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:48 pm My heart jumped all the way back to 1976 and melted.
'Show Me the Way' and 'Baby I Love Your Way', hits from the 'Frampton Comes Alive' album.
Interesting I met my 2nd wife in 1976 but on our first date we went rollerskating and then to listen to a road band. During a break I found a piano and played the 1st movement of Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata for her, I must have done something right, we're still married.
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

thedoc wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:06 am
marjoram_blues wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:48 pm My heart jumped all the way back to 1976 and melted.
Interesting I met my 2nd wife in 1976 but on our first date we went rollerskating and then to listen to a road band. During a break I found a piano and played the 1st movement of Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata for her, I must have done something right, we're still married.
Sounds romantic and courtly, doc. An everlasting kind of love.

Interesting to compare times, people, place.
And to return to topic, I suppose, the flow of life.

Looking up Tao and Love, a few snippets:

'Love is the rhythm of Tao...
...the souls of those who love are like two white clouds floating softly side by side, that vanish, wafted by the same wind, into the infinite blue of the heavens...'

'...Tao,Poetry and Love are one and the same...'

[ from sacred-texts.com - Interpreting Taoism, an essay on Lao Tzu's 'Wu-Wei' by Henri Borel, translated by M.E. Reynolds.
Ch1 - Tao
Ch2 - Art
Ch3 - Love

Might read more, the tasters sounded intriguing,...but I wonder what might be lost in translation, and interpretation...

Hope thangtamfive returns to respond...
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

I encountered Taoism while reading about Zen Buddhism many years ago. It seems like they are very similar in many respects. It was the similarities between Zen and Christianity that led me to start attending church again for my self rather than to please my wife. There have been many who have claimed that Zen and Christianity are totally different, but when they start to express their understanding of Zen, I can see that they have little or no actual understanding of Zen Buddhism.
White Rook

Post by White Rook »

thedoc wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:21 pm I encountered Taoism while reading about Zen Buddhism many years ago. It seems like they are very similar in many respects. It was the similarities between Zen and Christianity that led me to start attending church again for my self rather than to please my wife. There have been many who have claimed that Zen and Christianity are totally different, but when they start to express their understanding of Zen, I can see that they have little or no actual understanding of Zen Buddhism.
There's only one world. All the philosophies, sciences, and religions are describing the same thing. It makes sense that followers of one path will recognize signposts on another when they cross.