Love, joy, humour, creativity, optimism and gratitude

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Walker

Re: Love, joy, humour, creativity, optimism and gratitude

Post by Walker »

Lacewing wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:59 pm
Walker wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:13 am From such a platform of good-humoured superiority and condenscension, what can one do to aid or perhaps even change those identified as generalized, poor unfortunates so alien from what’s really going on?
From your platform of mischaracterizing what you see as other platforms, you appear to be revealing your own funky mindset and projecting it onto others.

From my own perspective... if everyone is connected and capable of anything, everything we do is like sending out ripples through water. There is no one apart or higher, and there is no one to save, there is only the modeling of possibilities. Separateness may simply be an illusion to play and interact with. Being good-humoured about it is one possibility of many.
Such is the happy path of blind spots because really, how much does anyone need to see before seeing it all.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Dubious wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:01 am I suspect I may break-out laughing in my literal last moments in the full realization of what an ironic comedy it all was.
It sure seems likely so! I think we can start laughing now. :)
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Dubious wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:01 am
Lacewing wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:57 am I've had spiritual revelations while cursing at Bob and laughing at Harbal.
Can't say I ever had any myself but I suspect I may break-out laughing in my literal last moments in the full realization of what an ironic comedy it all was. If only I could make one final post after that! :lol:
I think this expresses that thought,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCRZZC-DH7M
Walker

Post by Walker »

thedoc wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:29 pm
Dubious wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:01 am
Lacewing wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:57 am I've had spiritual revelations while cursing at Bob and laughing at Harbal.
Can't say I ever had any myself but I suspect I may break-out laughing in my literal last moments in the full realization of what an ironic comedy it all was. If only I could make one final post after that! :lol:
I think this expresses that thought,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCRZZC-DH7M
Not the greatest singer, but a distinctive voice, style, and showpersonship. 1969? Stepford wife on ludes.
Greta

Post by Greta »

Lacewing wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:57 pm
Dubious wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:01 am I suspect I may break-out laughing in my literal last moments in the full realization of what an ironic comedy it all was.
It sure seems likely so! I think we can start laughing now. :)
It could be laughter, or a facepalm or just "oh shit oh shit oh shit" :)
Walker

Post by Walker »

Greta wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:13 am It could be laughter, or a facepalm or just "oh shit oh shit oh shit" :)
Careful. Such stifling could backfire with concussive consequences but cowboys don’t care.

Some call it kid humour.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPIP9KXdmO0

Mongo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9P2B7NUPfM
Greta

Post by Greta »

Walker, what does it all mean? To quote one of the greats:
When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Ask Mel. He created the movie. I am but a humble messenger of the public domain. Part of the creation for Mel was creating the collaboration. Same as Clint does. On time and under budget. Hey, isn't that Trump's motto?

:D
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Why does it appear so unusual that some on a philosophy forum would have an interest in philosophy as opposed to feelgoodism and self justification? Philosophy is defined as the love of wisdom. Does feelgoodism reflect a love of wisdom or a devotion to imagination? Plato defined Man as a being in search of meaning. Does feelgoodism support or obstruct the search for meaning.

From Shakespeare’s “All the World’s a Stage
Jaques to Duke Senior

All the world’s a stage,
And all the men and women merely players;
They have their exits and their entrances,
And one man in his time plays many parts,
His acts being seven ages. At first, the infant,
Mewling and puking in the nurse’s arms.
Then the whining schoolboy, with his satchel
And shining morning face, creeping like snail
Unwillingly to school. And then the lover,
Sighing like furnace, with a woeful ballad
Made to his mistress’ eyebrow. Then a soldier,
Full of strange oaths and bearded like the pard,
Jealous in honor, sudden and quick in quarrel,
Seeking the bubble reputation
Even in the cannon’s mouth. And then the justice,
In fair round belly with good capon lined,
With eyes severe and beard of formal cut,
Full of wise saws and modern instances;
And so he plays his part. The sixth age shifts
Into the lean and slippered pantaloon,
With spectacles on nose and pouch on side;
His youthful hose, well saved, a world too wide
For his shrunk shank, and his big manly voice,
Turning again toward childish treble, pipes
And whistles in his sound. Last scene of all,
That ends this strange eventful history,
Is second childishness and mere oblivion,
Sans teeth, sans eyes, sans taste, sans everything.
This perspective doesn’t offer optimism for human life on earth. Suppose it offers realism which is essential for the pursuit of the love of wisdom? Should the philosopher avoid it because it doesn’t support feelgoodism?
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Nick_A wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:12 pm Why does it appear so unusual that some on a philosophy forum would have an interest in philosophy as opposed to feelgoodism and self justification? /... Does feelgoodism reflect a love of wisdom or a devotion to imagination?
As usual, you're making up stuff and narrowly defining it (and projecting) in order to serve and glorify yourself.
Suppose it [the quote] offers realism which is essential for the pursuit of the love of wisdom? Should the philosopher avoid it because it doesn’t support feelgoodism?
People see beauty and meaning in many different ways. Your label of "feelgoodism" reveals more about your own lack of sight, than it invalidates anyone else. Your idea of wisdom is simply what you think you know of it.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Lacewing wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:53 pm
Nick_A wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:12 pm Why does it appear so unusual that some on a philosophy forum would have an interest in philosophy as opposed to feelgoodism and self justification? /... Does feelgoodism reflect a love of wisdom or a devotion to imagination?
As usual, you're making up stuff and narrowly defining it (and projecting) in order to serve and glorify yourself.
Suppose it [the quote] offers realism which is essential for the pursuit of the love of wisdom? Should the philosopher avoid it because it doesn’t support feelgoodism?
People see beauty and meaning in many different ways. Your label of "feelgoodism" reveals more about your own lack of sight, than it invalidates anyone else. Your idea of wisdom is simply what you think you know of it.
Philosophy is about the big picture. We can always define meaning and wisdom in details. We mcan say WOW, that was really meaningful or that was a wised decision. But the love of wisdom and the search for meaning in relation to philosophy worthy of the name requires contemplation of the big picture. Shakespeare offers the big picture. The obvious question is "Is that all there is?" What does it mean? How does wisdom relate to this question? It's not an Oprah question.

Of course these questions are only taken seriously by a minority. Most in the world are concerned with what Greta described. Does that mean philosophy should deny this minority in favor of feelgoodism?
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Nick_A wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:07 am Philosophy is about the big picture. We can always define meaning and wisdom in details. We mcan say WOW, that was really meaningful or that was a wised decision. But the love of wisdom and the search for meaning in relation to philosophy worthy of the name requires contemplation of the big picture. Shakespeare offers the big picture. The obvious question is "Is that all there is?" What does it mean? How does wisdom relate to this question? It's not an Oprah question.

Of course these questions are only taken seriously by a minority. Most in the world are concerned with what Greta described. Does that mean philosophy should deny this minority in favor of feelgoodism?
Right, blah, blah, blah. You're not saying anything profound. I suppose you think you are in that minority of authentic philosophers that you speak of? That just shows that you don't know how broad philosophy is. And for some inexplicable reason you're now harping on about "feelgoodism". WTF? Do you think that philosophy is only about being serious and dry? I've been philosophically-minded and considering the "big picture" my entire life. Everyone who knows me would affirm this. Yet, some of my greatest insights have come during the kind of laughter that shakes your whole body... and intense joy, which by the way, I'm feeling right this minute... and no, I'm not doing drugs and I'm not drinking whisky as I sometimes do for fun. :) Being philosophically-minded is a STATE OF MIND/BEING. All of the crazy crap you make up is meaningless if your state of mind/being is so completely tangled up in it such that you cannot see beyond it. You see only yourself.

And now I'm going to step away because your communication is a boring downer, and you don't know anything.

:D
Greta

Post by Greta »

Nick_A wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:07 am
Lacewing wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:53 pm
Philosophy is about the big picture. We can always define meaning and wisdom in details. We mcan say WOW, that was really meaningful or that was a wised decision. But the love of wisdom and the search for meaning in relation to philosophy worthy of the name requires contemplation of the big picture. Shakespeare offers the big picture. The obvious question is "Is that all there is?" What does it mean? How does wisdom relate to this question? It's not an Oprah question.

I see. If I create just ONE positive thread amongst the litanies of doom, dread and fury that make up much of philosophy forums then I engage in "feelgoodism". Some of us are wed to our miseries, mistaking gloom for depth.

I suggest that misery is closely associated with "small" and "medium picture" thinking, not the "big picture". That's the realisation made by those close to death - who taste another aspect of reality. The vast majority of NDE cases return from the brink of death full of optimism and gratitude, more or less the opposite to "faux deep" woe and gloom merchants.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

I hadn't noticed that you were all that much of a beaming ray of sunshine.
Greta

Post by Greta »

Veg, I'd be surprised if you did.