Love, joy, humour, creativity, optimism and gratitude

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

Re: Love, joy, humour, creativity, optimism and gratitude

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:00 pm Just about everyone on here fights with PE. It would seem someone is on a power trip and shouldn't be a mod. I wonder what mick thinks of all this-- I mean Rick.
Not true. It seems you're talking about yourself again.

PhilX 🇺🇸
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:15 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:00 pm Just about everyone on here fights with PE. It would seem someone is on a power trip and shouldn't be a mod. I wonder what mick thinks of all this-- I mean Rick.

PhilX 🇺🇸
Haha. Then why would there be a specific ban for people engaging with you?
Philosophy Explorer

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:16 pm
Philosophy Explorer wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:15 pm

PhilX 🇺🇸
You'll have to ask the mods.

PhilX 🇺🇸
vegetariantaxidermy

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:18 pm

PhilX 🇺🇸
It should only be Rick who can ban posters. If people were banned simply for arguing or bantering there would be no one left on here, or it would be so dull that there soon would be. I don't know why you and Hobbes are being targeted specifically. Do you?
Philosophy Explorer

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:48 pm

PhilX 🇺🇸
It should only be Rick who can ban posters. If people were banned simply for arguing or bantering there would be no one left on here, or it would be so dull that there soon would be. I don't know why you and Hobbes are being targeted specifically. Do you?
I know Rick is very busy. AMod isn't around all the time either.

PhilX
vegetariantaxidermy

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:53 pm

PhilX 🇺🇸

PhilX
AMod certainly doesn't have a vendetta against Hobbes. It looks like Hobbes has been banned again. If Hobbes gets banned for calling you 'fat', then I should have been banned a thousand times over :lol:
Philosophy Explorer

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:56 pm
Philosophy Explorer wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:53 pm

PhilX
AMod certainly doesn't have a vendetta against Hobbes. It looks like Hobbes has been banned again. If Hobbes gets banned for calling you 'fat', then I should have been banned a thousand times over :lol:
I don't tell the mods how to run their house. If you want to know more, ask the mods.

PhilX
Last edited by Philosophy Explorer on Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
vegetariantaxidermy

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:01 pm
I don't tell the mods how run their house. If you want to know more, ask the mods.

PhilX
A rhetorical question doesn't count (not that you would recognise one).
I would like to say I will miss you and doc but I can't.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Greta wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:02 am Is it that there's just a lot of lonely and/or unhappy people stalking the web in search of connections?

How much scope is there for philosophy forums to be uplifting? Or is that, like the news, the slant will always tend towards the negative for the above and other reasons?

How positive are you about yourself, life, existence generally? What uplifts you and what brings you down?
Some general thoughts... not directed at you Greta...

It seems that there are many reasons that people come here and do what they do. I've wondered about it myself -- as there seem to be a lot of nutjobs (which surely some people think of me too). Some people might not see from the things that I write that I'm a positive and joyful person, and I love people despite all of the crazy crap that they do. It's just that since coming here, I've found it devilishly entertaining to question people who proclaim themselves to be heralding truths that apply to all. And because these people typically do it in such an arrogant or foolish way, it only seems natural to make fun of them.

If a clown is strutting around like a king, it's natural to laugh at them. If they are mad enough to truly believe themselves to be a king, should we be gentle with them and allow them to spew their toxic delusion onto everyone, or should we persevere in knocking them off of their pedestal? I often think lately, that much of the turmoil we see might be because humankind is trying to evolve beyond certain kinds of ignorance and madness. The resistance to that seems epic... perhaps because so many people are so completely identified with one intoxication or another... and they will fight to the death to not be "wrong", and to believe that they "know" something.

So it seems that there are lots of extremes and counter-balances going at each other. I guess it's natural... and maybe the only way to evolve.

It does appear that many people indiscriminately disagree or rage against whatever they cross in their path. I think this is their way of imagining themselves "better than that"... or "better than all else". That seems a perfect way to be evolved out of existence. It doesn't seem very smart to view everything as separate and in competition or at war. What the fuck? That doesn't build anything beyond that limited (and primitive) mentality. It's just a bunch of chest-beating apes fighting over sticks... for eons. Get over it already!

But alas, here we are in this life -- and I'm guessing it's for the entertainment. Whenever I share something heartfelt on this forum, it's like throwing something into the pond for people to look at -- and I fully expect that some people won't appear to "get it" or accept it, and that's okay. Often, I'm just doing my part to counter-balance or counter-challenge some of the crazy crap I see -- and hopefully people are entertained by the process, if nothing more beneficial comes from it. I don't take this or myself very seriously. It's just a dance that I have fun with.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Lacewing wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:56 am It's just that since coming here, I've found it devilishly entertaining to question people who proclaim themselves to be heralding truths that apply to all. And because these people typically do it in such an arrogant or foolish way, it only seems natural to make fun of them.
It's always the nut jobs which elicit the most attention especially by those who are most allergic to them. Whereas there is much legitimate discussion of philosophy and miscellaneous views on many subjects, more often than not philosophy forums amount to nothing more than nut job reformation centers without ever having created a single reformed nut job. The best you can hope for in this endeavor is the conversion of nuts to lemons!
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Dubious wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:38 am It's always the nut jobs which elicit the most attention especially by those who are most allergic to them. Whereas there is much legitimate discussion of philosophy and miscellaneous views on many subjects, more often than not philosophy forums amount to nothing more than nut job reformation centers without ever having created a single reformed nut job. The best you can hope for in this endeavor is the conversion of nuts to lemons!
I can see the truth in what you say. At the same time, might the "legitimate discussions of philosophy" be just as foolish as the clown show? We each do what we're inspired to do... and we play it out on this stage. I enjoy and engage in philosophical discussions too, but sometimes they're so dry because people don't interject any new thought into them... they just repeat references and learned ideas. Free-thinkers are usually not welcome... so it becomes a discussion to see who read more or learned more on a certain topic... and that's just posturing. What I'm most interested in is seeing new things that make sense beyond the conventional and the circus. And sometimes you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right. :D

I've had spiritual revelations while cursing at Bob and laughing at Harbal.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Lacewing wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:57 am I've had spiritual revelations while cursing at Bob and laughing at Harbal.
Can't say I ever had any myself but I suspect I may break-out laughing in my literal last moments in the full realization of what an ironic comedy it all was. If only I could make one final post after that! :lol:
Walker

Post by Walker »

From such a platform of good-humoured superiority and condenscension, what can one do to aid or perhaps even change those identified as generalized, poor unfortunates so alien from what’s really going on?
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Walker wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:13 am From such a platform of good-humoured superiority and condenscension, what can one do to aid or perhaps even change those identified as generalized, poor unfortunates so alien from what’s really going on?
From your platform of mischaracterizing what you see as other platforms, you appear to be revealing your own funky mindset and projecting it onto others.

From my own perspective... if everyone is connected and capable of anything, everything we do is like sending out ripples through water. There is no one apart or higher, and there is no one to save, there is only the modeling of possibilities. Separateness may simply be an illusion to play and interact with. Being good-humoured about it is one possibility of many.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:16 pm
Can you provide a link to the post that states that, I have had no problems engaging with PE, perhaps your ban is specific to you.