Aren't we all killers...

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Harbal

Re: Aren't we all killers...

Post by Harbal »

thedoc wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:09 pm "You ain't seen nothin' yet."
Oh goody, I'm all for going to extremes.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Harbal wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:13 pm
thedoc wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:09 pm "You ain't seen nothin' yet."
Oh goody, I'm all for going to extremes.
It seems that I have already, but if I haven't pissed everyone off, I'm not trying hard enough.
Necromancer

Post by Necromancer »

thedoc wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:10 pm
Necromancer wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:07 am (Other? I'm sure there should be more to mention, but for now I'm at the end.)
Neocromancer, look up "partial birth abortion" if you want to really be grossed out, just remember once you read about it you can't "un-see" it, you have been warned.
Hi Doc

I think it's important to separate between abortion within 20 weeks, emergency medicine that may very well take place regardless of the practice of abortion (decision to save either fetus/infant or mother during difficult situation) and this "partial birth abortion". The way I understand it, nobody really wants this "partial birth abortion" to take place. It's carried out as last option, I believe. Thus no evil necessarily involved? :)
Greta

Post by Greta »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:25 am explicitly and implicitly?

It's common knowledge that drinking and drugging can lead to killing. I contend that those activities increases the likelihood of it happening, but I also contend that killing/murder may still happen without those activities.

Another reason I offer is that eating, through the food chain, leads to killing and is inevitable. So get used to it.
That's the problem with being alive - you usually need to kill and eat someone or something else to survive. Meanwhile, in our macrophages, we each have a microbial community of dedicated killers (or pathogens). Likewise, we help to fund and support the structures for our military, police and courts, all quite capable of killing, and sometimes charged to do so on our behalf. Their killings are our killings.

Simply being alive means occupying a space and using resources that others could enjoy. Can we justify it? Need we? Hopefully we can do something positive with, and/or appreciate, our good fortune.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:
Another reason I offer is that eating, through the food chain, leads to killing and is inevitable. So get used to it.
No.

What follows is: do as little harm to your environment as you possibly can.
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Belinda wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:30 pm Philosophy Explorer wrote:
No.

Yes, we're still all killers. Accept the inevitable (until science finds a way).

PhilX
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:13 pm
No.

Yes, we're still all killers. Accept the inevitable (until science finds a way).

PhilX
Are you stupid? Science has found ways.
Philosophy Explorer

Belinda wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:20 pm
Philosophy Explorer wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:13 pm

No.

PhilX
Are you stupid? Science has found ways.
Name them (and which ones do you participate in?)

PhilX
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Biology Chemistry Oceanography Dietetics Climatology Social Anthropology Soil chemistry Agricultural Ecology Physics
Animal Husbandry Physical Geography
Philosophy Explorer

Belinda wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:28 pm Biology Chemistry Oceanography Dietetics Climatology Social Anthropology Soil chemistry Agricultural Ecology Physics
Animal Husbandry Physical Geography
You'll have to be more specific Belinda. What types of food do you eat or drink that don't lead to plants and animals getting killed.

I once tried turkey burgers. What a bunch of yuck (could even be worse than veggie burgers). That represents how radical I've gotten in my eating (don't know offhand if it led to less killing). I'm aware that scientists are working on synthetic food, but I don't think they've gotten very far.

PhilX
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Phil, I thought you would probably say that. Your challenge that I educate you is more than I can cope with at present.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

You might be interested in the discussion on mercy killings taking place in the ethics forum: viewtopic.php?p=319293#p319293
Philosophy Explorer

commonsense wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:48 pm You might be interested in the discussion on mercy killings taking place in the ethics forum: viewtopic.php?p=319293#p319293
Are you getting Alzheimer's disease? Harbal and I have contributed to your thread.

PhilX
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:27 pm
commonsense wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:48 pm You might be interested in the discussion on mercy killings taking place in the ethics forum: viewtopic.php?p=319293#p319293
Are you getting Alzheimer's disease? Harbal and I have contributed to your thread.

PhilX
Yes, and I thought there were also others on this thread.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:25 am explicitly and implicitly?

It's common knowledge that drinking and drugging can lead to killing. I contend that those activities increases the likelihood of it happening, but I also contend that killing/murder may still happen without those activities.

PhilX
Two things.
1) I had sausage in my sandwich today, so in contributed to killing a pig.
2) I read an article which talked about a study which demonstrated that people that take paracetamol (acetominophen) loose some of their empathy.

Maybe is we had less stress, and fewer headaches we might kill less. maybe the fact that the US is the drug taking meccah of the world is part of the reason that it is also the murder meccah of the world.