Will America be the next China in the end?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Arising_uk

Re: Will America be the next China in the end?

Post by Arising_uk »

Above us only sky wrote:I'm not saying all the people run for offices for money and power, but I do say many people do this for money and power.
Well I'll give you that some like to think they are powerful, ministers mainly but they are soon disabused of this thought, but money is definitely not the objective over here and many if not most do it because they think they can help change things for the good, in my opinion.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Above us only sky wrote:Sounds like you do not live in a 'democracy' either, in a 'democracy' (uk, japan, etc.) politicians do not implement policies, the implement of policies is the job of the civil service system. ...
Fair point although over here the ministers are responsible for the implementation by the civil service.
In uk politicians propose policies, but in a direct democracy it is people who propose policies.
Depends I guess as a 'direct democracy' could just be describing the voting method, i.e. no need for a Parliament to vote on a law just pass it to the electorate. But I agree the Swiss system is pretty much an example of direct democracy in that any citizen can raise a law if they get enough of a majority but they still seem to have politicians?
If it is perfectly feasible to run nations with larger populations via direct democracy, why haven't we see one yet??? :shock: :shock: :shock:
How long has the technology been around?
FlashDangerpants

Post by FlashDangerpants »

Above us only sky wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:27 am
FlashDangerpants wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:46 pm Now you are just babbling complete gibberish again. You've lost control of yourself.
Above us only sky wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:02 pm..... [some more silliness]....
Sorry, you just lost my attention now.
Try to keep your arguments coherent.
For us to have a proper philosophical discuss, you have to drop the stereotype that authoritarianism is an oriental Chinese/Indian invention first.
Where did you get that dumb idea from? I've met Germans, I know perfectly well that authoritarianism is not a special eastern invention at all.
I've studied history, I've read about the French Revolution and Torquemada. You must be nuts to think you're making an interesting point there.
Above us only sky wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:27 am Ancient Rome starts in 8th century BC as a small city-state kingdom, as Rome expands it became a nation controling not just Rome but vast areas in central Italy and adopt a very democratic classical republic system in the year 509 BC;

As Rome controls more and more population, finally in 27 BC, to govern those huge population effectively it became an authoritarian nation known as The Roman Empire, which lasts until the year 1447 AD when the Eastern Roman Empire finaly fall. That is more than 1400 years of authoritarianism in the history of western civilization.
You understand that this is not evidence of any cause right? It's another anecdote indicative of nothing.
Above us only sky wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:27 am By asking 'Will America be the next China in the end?' I 'm not suggesting that America will be a poorer country as India and China in the end; I'm not saying that America will be China, I 'm just saying a full-grown western nation will take authoritarianism in time as it grows, and this new western authoritarianism will have a lot in common with the Chinese/Indian authoritarianism.
Of course I got that you cretin. You seem not to understand that you are not providing any worthwhile analysis to back up the causal claim you are making. None of your attempts even go in the right direction to do that.
Above us only sky wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:27 am This means a nation-state dictatorship will gradually evolve into an authoritarian system; likewise, a nation state democracy will also gradually evolve into an authoritarian system as population grows and society straitify.
See my previous response to that claim about stratification. You are asserting without any justification and I'm not kidding, you are starting to bore me.
Above us only sky wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:27 am I could not provide the exact figure as to how much population will trigger the evolution, however if you look at the population of each country on earth you will have a big picture.
That's clearly untrue. You already exclude all evidence of small countries with authoritarian systems with that bit about small countries having them too.

Then you exclude all the larger countries by excluding from your method everywhere with a population smaller than the USA, which only leaves 3 countries to look at.

You used a very unscientific judgment to declare India authoritarian. You have said that America will become authoritarian because even thy don't have this magic level of human numbers for the effect you claim is proven by observation to take effect.

So no, under your own terms, looking at the populations of all but 2 countries automatically has to tell us nothing.

Now, I am actually fed up with you. If your next post isn't of a much higher logical quality than the evidence suggests you are able to construct, I just can't be bothered with you any more.