Secular Intolerance

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Harbal

Re: Secular Intolerance

Post by Harbal »

Nick_A wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 10:08 pm There is nothing wrong with knowing we have faults.
I've got too many to be able to get away with not knowing about at least some of them.
It is often easier to become intolerant and blame others.
What you have to take into account is that what we are here, on this forum, is not necessarily what we really are.
Greta

Post by Greta »

Nick_A wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 2:55 pm
Greta wrote:It's a shame. I've found Nick interesting and informative plenty of times. A smart man. Alas, the incessant preaching, whining, disparaging, misrepresentation and demonisation of others is a high price to pay.
If you want a text book example of secular intolerance in a position of power it is Greta. Notice how rules have no meaning for these types.
No, I notice that YOU completely ignored the forum's rues and pushed and pushed and pushed until you could realise your martyrdom impulse. As Harbal correctly noted, you weren't banned for being a theist but for being a knob head, ie. consistently flouting forum rules, insulting moderators and ignoring all warnings.

Have you considered admitting that you made mistakes and learning from them rather than blaming others? You come across as unusually emotionally immature and this current display is typical of your attention seeking self-righteousness and hostility to anyone who does not identify as a theist.

Then you project your own hatreds on to secularists on these forums. So, after being repeatedly rude, arrogant and misrepresenting others you get what you want - secular hostility. Yet it's rarely aimed at theists per se but simply at YOU. I advise that you take responsibility for your actions like a adult.
Last edited by Greta on Sun May 21, 2017 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Harbal wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 10:30 pm
Nick_A wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 10:08 pm There is nothing wrong with knowing we have faults.
I've got too many to be able to get away with.
We've noticed.
Greta

Post by Greta »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 6:38 pm
Greta wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 2:28 pm
FlashDangerpants wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 12:13 pm

So I was right in every respect. You are back here because you annoyed everyone over there with your boring monomania until they shunned you. And you have learned nothing, all your failures are entirely the fault of others.
Yes. "Monomania" is an excellent word in context. In philosophy forums, as with any forums (I'm also a member of a music forum) everyone has "their thing". The ones who annoy are those who keep harping about the same thing, starting numerous threads on more or less the same thing, often with some whining - bumping their agendas at the expense of more open minds.

However, the forum's "failure", ie. his banning, was due to him going a bit feral with the abusiveness and contemptuousness, persistently ignoring warnings. It was the fourth and final strike before which he'd gifted the forum with 107 of his topics, many about Plato's save, Simone's ideas and/or The Great Beast. So he had a good run before finally becoming too annoying to other members and mods who were/are just trying to talk about stuff without too much drama.

It's a shame. I've found Nick interesting and informative plenty of times. A smart man. Alas, the incessant preaching, whining, disparaging, misrepresentation and demonisation of others is a high price to pay.
Oh I see. I thought he was just back here to indulge a short term strop because they couldn't be arsed with some attempt he made to hijack some other guy's essay with his nauseatingly repetitive discussion of the cave (which he seems not recognise is only a simile designed to illustrate a point), and the beast (which he doesn't understand is an intentionally limited analogy).

I didn't realise he'd gone and got himself banned. So I guess we are stuck with him in perpetuity. Just another hopeless relic to sit on the shelf with Bob, getting intermittently mocked for never making any sense, but never sent on their way because this forum presumably never bans anyone.

Is there any way to at least persuade him to stop humble bragging about getting laid one time? I can put up with his tedious angst, but advertising his psycho-sexual malfunctions on the internet is just grim.
Yes, he was banned for repeated ad hominem attacks, after numerous warnings - three or four formal ones and a fair few informal ones. Obviously if we keep warning without consequence we will be treated with contempt, which was what happened. We put up with that for a while because, mainly because I thought Nick had something to contribute, so I kept cutting him slack.

He punished me for my softness, treating other mods and me with contempt one too many times - too many veiled and not-so-veiled insults, too many misrepresentations. I didn't notice his bragging about sex, though. Oh well, philosophy forums attracts a diverse crowd, with many malfunctionals seeking respite from their mental torments.
Greta

Post by Greta »

Nick_A wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 7:33 pm Greta wrote about me:
It's a shame. I've found Nick interesting and informative plenty of times. A smart man. Alas, the incessant preaching, whining, disparaging, misrepresentation and demonisation of others is a high price to pay.
What do I preach? When do I whine and who am i misrepresenting. The only one I ever demonized was the dreaded demon "Asimytogamy and you're better off without it. This is what I mean by secular intolerance as expressed by those like Greta and F4. There is no substance in it - just meaningless ad homs.
I note that the ad hominem king is projecting again. It's not "secular intolerance" to protect oneself from the constant lies and misrepresentation of a hostile fanatic.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Greta wrote:
Yes, he was banned for repeated ad hominem attacks, after numerous warnings - three or four formal ones and a fair few informal ones. Obviously if we keep warning without consequence we will be treated with contempt, which was what happened. We put up with that for a while because, mainly because I thought Nick had something to contribute, so I kept cutting him slack.

He punished me for my softness, treating other mods and me with contempt one too many times - too many veiled and not-so-veiled insults, too many misrepresentations. I didn't notice his bragging about sex, though. Oh well, philosophy forums attracts a diverse crowd, with many malfunctionals seeking respite from their mental torments.
All of this is just proof of blind secular intolerance. Consider the amount of Greta's ugly ad hom attacks against me on this thread. I've been warned against standing up to fooloso4's attempts at intimidation. He is a person armed with facts but lacks understanding so when it is questioned he gets insulted. This is typical of spirit killing that goes on in universities. Anything which questions imagined secular superiority is considered condemnation. This is sick stuff. Looking back at some of my old threads at one time there were some serious thinkers like Quotidian. They left because of these superficial secular attitudes. So what is left?

Coincidently there is an article now in the magazine about intuition in children. The author is very astute and understands what the secularist hates. It could never be responded where secular intolerance is protected and considered a virtue since it invites speculation on anamnesis which is intolerable for a secularist since for them there is nothing to remember.. Yet it deserves a response worthy of the intelligence of the author and a real challenge to create one.

The Greta types will attack with their pitchforks and condemn what they find more comfortable to remain closed to. The author of the article suggests the importance of opening the mind at the expense of the secular indoctrination of selective facts.

Philosophy is a real challenge. Its mind opening potentials are essential for our species to remain human. Yet secular intolerance is doing its very best to destroy the great ideas in favor of secular indoctrination that must lead to catastrophe.
"even if we can't prevent the forces of tyranny from prevailing, we can at least "understand the force by which we are crushed." Simone Weil.
Secular intolerance and the gradual glorification of superficiality pretty much assures the collective descent into tyranny. All I can do is support and be part of the efforts to keep great ideas alive. I don't think it is possible. We've sold our collective soul for the proverbial 30 pieces of silver. I can at least grow to understand the force by which we are crushed. At least it's something.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Greta wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 11:07 pm
Nick_A wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 7:33 pm Greta wrote about me:
What do I preach? When do I whine and who am i misrepresenting. The only one I ever demonized was the dreaded demon "Asimytogamy and you're better off without it. This is what I mean by secular intolerance as expressed by those like Greta and F4. There is no substance in it - just meaningless ad homs.
I note that the ad hominem king is projecting again. It's not "secular intolerance" to protect oneself from the constant lies and misrepresentation of a hostile fanatic.
Sick stuff. Give me one example of an ad hom attack by me. Yet all one has to do is look at your posts on this thread to read add hom attacks by you. Who have I misrepresented and how have I misrepresented them? Who have I lied about and what lies have I told? If i quote Simone, how can I lie. The bottom line is that you are repulsed by anything questioning the superiority of secularism. It makes you an advocate of secular intolerance.
FlashDangerpants

Post by FlashDangerpants »

Nick_A wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 11:51 pm Sick stuff. Give me one example of an ad hom attack by me. Yet all one has to do is look at your posts on this thread to read add hom attacks by you. Who have I misrepresented and how have I misrepresented them? Who have I lied about and what lies have I told? If i quote Simone, how can I lie. The bottom line is that you are repulsed by anything questioning the superiority of secularism. It makes you an advocate of secular intolerance.
Every time you accuse others of only disagreeing with you because they are secular and intolerant, you are arguing against the man (or lady as it bay be) rather than addressing their objection. That is definitively ad hominem.

That was easy, Greta was indeed wrong, you are not smart.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 11:58 pm
Nick_A wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 11:51 pm Sick stuff. Give me one example of an ad hom attack by me. Yet all one has to do is look at your posts on this thread to read add hom attacks by you. Who have I misrepresented and how have I misrepresented them? Who have I lied about and what lies have I told? If i quote Simone, how can I lie. The bottom line is that you are repulsed by anything questioning the superiority of secularism. It makes you an advocate of secular intolerance.
Every time you accuse others of only disagreeing with you because they are secular and intolerant, you are arguing against the man (or lady as it bay be) rather than addressing their objection. That is definitively ad hominem.

That was easy, Greta was indeed wrong, you are not smart.
If I posted with glorification of secularism I would be the salt of the earth. I would gain popularity and become Mr. Wonderful. But since I believe that plato's cave is an excellent allegory describing the psychological prison of human psychology and asserting the potential for awakening and escape from this prison, it is insulting to all who defend this prison. Consequently my philosophical discussion will be repulsive to supporters of life in Plato's cave and defended by expression of secular intolerance. Why strive to be Mr. Wonderful? I'm not running for office. Why not hope to meet those who have become aware of the human condition and share on how to confront it.It makes philosophic sense. It just doesn't support secular intolerance.
FlashDangerpants

Nick_A wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 12:15 am If I posted with glorification of secularism I would be the salt of the earth. I would gain popularity and become Mr. Wonderful.
No you wouldn't, you would still be a boring shit posting idiot and nobody would like you.
The problem here isn't that you believe in X or Y. It is that you are a monotonous waste of oxygen.

Incidentally, that was an ad hominem attack you just did there. You will note that you made no attempt to address the point I made in the thing you quoted, and instead blamed my bias for you being observably and amazingly wrong.

Later on, I presume you will remain true to form by learning nothing from this exchange as well, and will dishonestly claim you aren't a source of ad hominem attacks but everyone else is?
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Getting back to the link on secular intolerance, read the following.

http://www.catholiceducation.org/en/cul ... anism.html
………………….Such credulity is typical of modern secular humanists who, claiming to have liberated themselves from the God myth, profess unbounded faith in mankinds ability to resolve human problems. Now, the question is: What is it that makes these unbelievers so naïve?
The answer lies in their understanding of human nature. Far from having freed themselves from every kind of belief, they have merely switched from a religious faith to a secular one, from belief in a transcendant God to belief in an immanent one. They view the human person not as a creature and hence dependent upon his Creator but as an entirely autonomous self-evolving entity. Man somewhat becomes his own Creator. It all sounds very modern, but in fact it is an old story, at least as old as the Greek myth of Prometheus. And its culmination is not a more scientific age, but just the opposite, as far into the fantastic, even, as the New Age Movement popularized by Shirley Maclaine and others of the same stripe…………………….
If this is true, who can be more insufferable and intolerant than a secular expert? Do you think Greta would ever admit to being too superficial in her condemnation? Of course not. Secularists are right so all else deserves condemnation. So who suffers the most from this silliness? The young who must suffer their attempts at indoctrination. And we call ourselves evolved and intelligent.
FlashDangerpants

That was actually just a return to the ad hominem based approach upon which you continually rely.
It's why you get banned from some other places, and treated like a fuckwit here.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 12:26 am
Nick_A wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 12:15 am If I posted with glorification of secularism I would be the salt of the earth. I would gain popularity and become Mr. Wonderful.
No you wouldn't, you would still be a boring shit posting idiot and nobody would like you.
The problem here isn't that you believe in X or Y. It is that you are a monotonous waste of oxygen.

Incidentally, that was an ad hominem attack you just did there. You will note that you made no attempt to address the point I made in the thing you quoted, and instead blamed my bias for you being observably and amazingly wrong.

Later on, I presume you will remain true to form by learning nothing from this exchange as well, and will dishonestly claim you aren't a source of ad hominem attacks but everyone else is?
I've sadly learned the answer to my question on the OP. Secular Intolerance is justified The open mind as a value is a thing of the past in secular society. Secularism will tell you what to do and what to believe freeing you from the annoyance of opening to impartial experience and reason
FlashDangerpants

Nick_A wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 12:52 am
FlashDangerpants wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 12:26 am

I've sadly learned the answer to my question on the OP. Secular Intolerance is justified The open mind as a value is a thing of the past in secular society. Secularism will tell you what to do and what to believe freeing you from the annoyance of opening to impartial experience and reason
Well look at that. You've completed the job of learning all that you are capable of learning here. So why don't you live up to your promise of many months ago, and fuck off somewhere else to bore new people with your self pitying shit.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 12:52 am That was actually just a return to the ad hominem based approach upon which you continually rely.
It's why you get banned from some other places, and treated like a fuckwit here.
Again, I wasn't banned. There was no lawful reason to ban me. My ideas mostly learned from those far more intelligent than me were banned.

Are you prejudiced against fuckwits and yet defend nitwits and halfwits? This is politically incorrect and offensive to the secular mind.