Secular Intolerance

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Greta

Re: Secular Intolerance

Post by Greta »

Nick_A wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:44 pmIf the fury of a secular intolerant when doubted isn’t as intense as a woman scorned, it is a close second. The belief in their secular superiority simply cannot be questioned. It is an intolerable offense. At least on a philosophy site a secular intolerant can only get grumpy. Imagine what a kid has to suffer in a school setting when he begins to ask politically incorrect questions concerning “meaning” and the needs of the heart in terms of God. The kid will quickly discover that scorned women are preferable.
Indeed, young Nickhead.

How dare a person believe in God in the face of the Almighty Great Beast? :twisted: Don't these believers realise that we "secularists" think of nothing but killing their spirits? Oh my goodness, while any spirit remains alive I could just about stamp my tiny feet in fury (as if scorned)!
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Nick_A wrote:... Imagine what a kid has to suffer in a school setting when he begins to ask politically incorrect questions concerning “meaning” and the needs of the heart in terms of God. ..
Is the kid asking it in a religious education class? If not I could well understand why he'd be an annoying little twerp.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Arising_uk wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:16 pm
Nick_A wrote:... Imagine what a kid has to suffer in a school setting when he begins to ask politically incorrect questions concerning “meaning” and the needs of the heart in terms of God. ..
Is the kid asking it in a religious education class? If not I could well understand why he'd be an annoying little twerp.
Any kid who doesn't worship the Great Beast in an institution of secular indoctrination is by definition an annoying little twerp. There are no questions of the heart. The Beast has supplied the answers. The kid is just a trouble maker dedicated to annoying those like Greta and F4. They should either be reeducated or eliminated. Under no circumstances should they be tolerated. The prospect is too offensive for progressive indoctrination to consider.
fooloso4

Post by fooloso4 »

Nick_A:
If the universe has no meaning or purpose and just a functioning machine, what you see is what you get.

No, what you see is what you see. There is much more than what you see and what you see is not necessary what it appears to be.
Eros doesn’t exist other than as a fantasy and there is no objective conscious direction to be drawn to.
No, eros is not a fantasy, but what one desires may be.
There is no wisdom.
There is for for us only human wisdom, which begins with knowledge of our ignorance and does not mistake what we might imagine to be beyond our ignorance for knowledge.
There is no sense of valuing imagination unless it is a beginning for contemplation into a higher relationship or reality.
There are many reasons to value imagination. It has value in and of itself.
If this is true it is better just to eliminate anything not directly pertaining to the subjective good of cave life and scientific fact defined by secular experts and enforced by their police..
But we lack the knowledge to say whether or not there is a meaning and purpose to the universe or what that meaning and purpose is. In my opinion, following Socrates, human wisdom is about the examined life. If we are in the cave then the task of philosophy must start with our lives in the cave, not with an imagined world that transcends the cave that we know nothing of. You may strive to escape the cave but unless you actual do so you do not even know that there is anything beyond the cave. You are here now, not in some transcendent world outside the cave. It is within your power to make your life here and now better.

That is not to say you should not imagine a world outside the cave or that you should not desire that world, only that you should realize it is only an imagined world and this one here and now should not be neglected or disparaged. For all you know it is the only life you will ever have, here and now. It may not be, but what if it is? Have you lived well or have you neglected your life in hopes of something you cannot attain?
Of course they are reconciled. As a secularist you are not open to how. When I post the Panentheism thread it is one thing I hope to discuss with Seeds; how God is simultaneously one and three. Why does the world have to stop because you refuse to understand it?
What I said is that they cannot be reconciled without doing damage to both. You do damage to both by attempting to make them conform to the Trinity. Plato’s Good is not trinary. Just because yin, yang, and qi are three terms does not mean that it has anything to do with the three terms of the Trinity. Let me remind you that you have in the past tried to relate the Trinity to the Law of Included Middle but failed.
I am referring to Pythagoras perception of the diatonic octave and how it is a universal law
The Pythagorean scale is derived from the ratio of 3:2, the perfect 5th. This works well for some intervals but not for others. The interval of a major 3rd will not sound harmonious, and if the tuning is adjusted to sound in tune it will no longer be in the proper ratio of the notes of the Pythagorean scale. This undermines your magic unity of three and creates dissonance within the scale. In addition, if you go through the cycle of 5th going in one direction up a 5th will yield a different note at the end of the cycle then if you go in the other direction down a 4th. In other words a D sharp and an E flat are not enharmonic as they are on a piano. They are not the same pitch or frequency, and so, the octave generated by going up a 5th will not be exactly the same frequency as going in the other direction down a 4th. It is one of many tuning systems. Any “universal laws” are simply the laws of mathematical relations, that is, ratios.
People who are open to these ideas have a plausible explanation as to the cosmological structure of the universe and the mathematics separating individual cosmoses.
Open to what ideas? Ratios? That the structure of the universe can be described mathematically? That a string can be divided? I see nothing here about separate individual “cosmoses”. The term would make no sense to Pythagoras. Cosmos means the ordered Whole. If there is more than one whole then these wholes are not separate “cosmoses” but rather parts of the Whole, the One or in Greek ‘Hen’.
Music is vibration. You are closed to both the potential detrimental and healing effects of vibrations we interpret as music.
Where have I ever said I am closed to this? I do think, however, that magic thinking greatly exaggerates the effect. In addition, the effect of the vibrations are not necessary from vibrations that we would generally interpret as music. They may be outside the range of human hearing or described as noise rather than music.
Animal or subjective love is a result of universal influences which are part of universal meaning and
purpose. There is nothing conscious in it. It just happens because of the effects of force on animal life and these forces are an aspect of universal meaning and purpose.
This only demonstrates how little you know about actually loving a person. The initial feeling may not be conscious but if love is to endure it must become a matter of deliberate action. Anyone who has been in a loving relationship that has stood the test of time can attest to this.
Conscious Man is capable of conscious ACTION which fallen man is incapable of so is forced to live values by hypocrisy.
Here once again you start with your belief and attempt to force reality to conform to it. It may be that the little value in which you hold yourself or others is a hypocrisy, but do not project this onto others.
You deny the objective good so are limited to arguing pragmatic partial truths which make you feel important.
And once again, I do not deny it, I simply affirm that I do not know that there an objective truth or what it is. This does not make me feel important. On the contrary, without an objective meaning and purpose we are just insignificant creatures of importance only to each other. Ironically, it is Plato’s noble lies, told to “philosophical dogs” that you take to be the truth itself. It is you who prefer the noble lie and Plato who prefers telling it to those like you who prefer the lie to the truth of our not knowing.
Unless a person has prematurely spiritually died inside they can open to the third direction of thought which leads towards the Good.
Yes, we have heard this all before many times. You believe you are on the road to somewhere you have never been, yet you talk as if you are already there. And so once again, unless you have consciously evolved so as to have experienced the objective good then, as it has so elegantly been said STFU.
Secular intolerance is dedicated to destroying the beginning of the path for the young not yet able to stand up to adult secular intimidation.
No, secularism is about allowing others to choose their own path without you telling them they must follow your path, a path that for all you know may lead to nowhere. This is tolerance for self determination and intolerance of your spiritual imperialism. The fact of the matter is that in secular society it is the family that decides what the religious path of their children will be. Secularism is about the separation of Church and State, non-interference in matters of religious belief and practice. You are opposed because you want to impose your own beliefs. And since you believe your beliefs are universal truths you see the issue as a battle between truth and lies, religion and secularism. Except that any religion that does not conform to your beliefs is declared by you to be false and thus, perversely, on the side of secularism.
This just silly and not even worthy of the status of Oprahism.
If you see the question: Are you merely “open to remembering the good” or do you remember and thereby know it? as silly then it is so because your claim is silly. And if you see what follows from it as silly it is not only because your claim is silly but because you do not know what Plato says about knowledge of the good as it relates to knowledge of all the rest.
davidm

Post by davidm »

When I was growing up, we kids never played pickup baseball games, or rode our bikes, or built tree houses or model airplanes. Instead, doe-eyed and waif-like, we wandered around the neighborhoods, asking every adult in sight politically incorrect questions concerning “meaning” and the needs of the heart in terms of God.

The adults were furious with us — like women scorned! They killed our spirits in the service of the Great Beast.

Today, I’m an adult spirit killer, promoting cave life and ruthlessly quashing all discussion, especially by kids, of verticality and eros. Kids today are different from when I grew up. The mostly spend time with their smart phones, but other than that it’s the same old shit: They are constantly texting adults, asking politically incorrect questions concerning “meaning” and the needs of the heart in terms of God. It makes me furious, like a woman scorned.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Nick_A wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:26 am
"We cannot live in a world that is interpreted for us by others. An interpreted world is not a home. Part of the terror is to take back our own listening. To use our own voice. To see our own light." —Hildegard of Bingen, "Selected Writings," (Penguin Classics, 2001).
Nick, if you agree with the quote you posted above, why do YOU interpret the world for people on this forum? Not only do you continually tell people how it is, but you tell them what THEY, themselves, ARE or ARE NOT. Who are YOU to INTERPRET all of that for others?
davidm

Post by davidm »

This morning when I woke up, I looked out my bedroom window, which faces my backyard pond. As is its wont, The Great Beast was shambling toward the pond, eager for breakfast. I thought to myself: what rough beast slouches toward Bethlehem, waiting to be born?

I rose from bed and hauled outdoors three big sacks of food: mealworms, frozen corn, and the spirits of the young.

I tore open the sacks and dumped the food into the pond. The Great Beast dabbled at the corn and mealworms, but enthusiastically devoured the spirits of the young.

I do like to vary its diet. Later today I’ll be driving to the feed lot to purchase a big sack of verticality and eros to feed the Beast tomorrow morning.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Nick_A wrote:Any kid who doesn't worship the Great Beast in an institution of secular indoctrination is by definition an annoying little twerp. There are no questions of the heart. The Beast has supplied the answers. The kid is just a trouble maker dedicated to annoying those like Greta and F4. They should either be reeducated or eliminated. Under no circumstances should they be tolerated. The prospect is too offensive for progressive indoctrination to consider.
What a drama queen you are.

When are you going to say how and what you would teach if you were running things?

I have no idea where you were educated but your description does not seem to fit with what goes on over here and you seem to ignore the role of parenting in a child's education. What was your home background such that'd you'd be bringing up 'God' in lessons?
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Lacewing wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:19 pm
Nick_A wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:26 am
"We cannot live in a world that is interpreted for us by others. An interpreted world is not a home. Part of the terror is to take back our own listening. To use our own voice. To see our own light." —Hildegard of Bingen, "Selected Writings," (Penguin Classics, 2001).
Nick, if you agree with the quote you posted above, why do YOU interpret the world for people on this forum? Not only do you continually tell people how it is, but you tell them what THEY, themselves, ARE or ARE NOT. Who are YOU to INTERPRET all of that for others?
It is exactly the opposite. I’ve raised essentially two questions: do we know ourselves and are we asleep in Plato’s Cave? Hildegard of Bingen asserts that we live in an interpreted world (the cave) having lost our voice and our ability to listen. The interpreted world lives our life

Jacob Needleman says the same in the prefce of his book “Lost Christinity.”
…………………But, this is not an either/or. The premise –or, rather, the proposal—of this book is that at the heart of the Christian religion there exists and has always existed just such a vision of both God and Man. I call it “lost Christianity” not because it is a matter of doctrines and concepts that may have been lost or forgotten; nor even a matter of methods of spiritual practice that may need to be recovered from ancient sources. It is all that, to be sure, but what is lost in the whole of our modern life, including our understanding of religion, is something even more fundamental, without which religious ideas and practices lose their meaning and all too easily become the instruments of ignorance, fear and hatred. What is lost is the experience of oneself, just oneself—myself, the personal being who is here, now, living, breathing, yearning for meaning, for
goodness; just this person here, now, squarely confronting one’s own existential weaknesses and pretensions while yet aware, however tentatively, of a higher current of life and identity calling to us from within ourselves. This presence to oneself is the missing element in the whole of the life of Man, the intermediate state of consciousness between what we are meant to be and what we actually are.
It is, perhaps, the one bridge that can lead us from our inhuman past toward the human future…………………..
Secularism argues about small things "fragments" and is oblivious of the human attraction to the big picture which makes us aware of reality greater than that of the cave.
Philosophy begins in Wonder

SOCRATES: I see, my dear Theaetetus, that Theodorus had a true insight into your nature when he said that you were a philosopher; for wonder is the feeling of a philosopher, and philosophy begins in wonder. (Plato, Theaetetus 155c-d, tr. Jowett; "wonder" in Aristotle.)
But in which sense of the word 'wonder'? What is 'philosophic wondering'?
According to Plato, perplexity is the origin of philosophy; G.E. Moore agreed, as did Wittgenstein, but perhaps not Immanuel Kant ("Two things fill us with awe: the starry sky above and the moral law within"). In Plato's Apology the oracle of Apollo at Delphi gives Socrates special reason to wonder in philosophy.
Secularism and its glorifiction of technology destroys the natural attraction to wonder. That is why it is a spirit killer for those becoming a slave to it. I am sensitive probably because of my great great grandfather who had few peers with his ability to depict awe and wonder in his paintings. I am sensitive to the needs of the young being spiritually killed by being deprived of these essential experiences.

Most are like David described and have had this natural attraction dulled or destroyed in them. My concern is for the young healthy kernels of life who do not want to inwardly die for the sake of fitting in. I remember once giving a library presentation on Simone Weil. One young woman thanked me and said she never knew that people like her existed and took a library book out that evening. Little things like that mean something for opening the mind. Those like Greta and F4 give me practice on how best to respond to spirit killers in real life. How to respond in a presentation on Simone to those needing to ridicule her? How to respond to those ridiculing my talented ancestor as being un-hip? Such people have lost the attraction to the big picture but they spread their loss out onto those not yet closed on the inside. Awe and wonder is still alive in them. How to provide the alternatives to the dominance of the spirit killers? I support those offering alternatives. This isn't telling people how to live but rather defending the need to awaken so that a person can live as a conscious human being.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Arising_uk wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:06 pm
Nick_A wrote:Any kid who doesn't worship the Great Beast in an institution of secular indoctrination is by definition an annoying little twerp. There are no questions of the heart. The Beast has supplied the answers. The kid is just a trouble maker dedicated to annoying those like Greta and F4. They should either be reeducated or eliminated. Under no circumstances should they be tolerated. The prospect is too offensive for progressive indoctrination to consider.

When are you going to say how and what you would teach if you were running things?

I have no idea where you were educated but your description does not seem to fit with what goes on over here and you seem to ignore the role of parenting in a child's education. What was your home background such that'd you'd be bringing up 'God' in lessons?
It is only exceptional parents who can offer alternatives to spirit killing. Most have become indoctrinated into advocating the ideals of cave life in whatever exoteric form seems appropriate.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Nick_A wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:28 pm Hildegard of Bingen asserts.....
Is this the same Hildegard of Bingen who used to sacrifice babies to Satan? They say she used to suck out the brains of puppies through their eye sockets as a party trick, are you talking about that Hildegard of Bingen?
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Toleration requires the operation of what Karl Popper calls the paradox of Toleration.
Toleration can only be extended to include people who are themselves tolerant.

For example toleration cannot work beytolerating, say, the Nazi party and their policy of racial extermination. Were Jews to tolerate such behaviour there would soon be no Jews.

Historically Secularism was set up to reconcile the destructive differences between Christian sects; particularly but not exclusively between Catholics and Protestants, though group discord between protestants is great, also.

In this way Secularism is 100% tolerant, and is only intolerant of non-secularists who are intolerant of disbelief.
Since, at heart, all Messianic religions demand adherence to a set of unjustified beliefs and scorn unbelievers, often to the point of persecution it is obvious enough that Secularism, being a position of informed toleration holds that some, not all religious systems are not worthy of toleration (see Popper's paradox).

I hope that clears up the thread's question.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Harbal wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:55 pm
Nick_A wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:28 pm Hildegard of Bingen asserts.....
Is this the same Hildegard of Bingen who used to sacrifice babies to Satan? They say she used to suck out the brains of puppies through their eye sockets as a party trick, are you talking about that Hildegard of Bingen?
Is there more than one? How about pointing the "other one" out to us?
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Nick_A wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:28 pm
Lacewing wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:19 pm Nick, if you agree with the quote you posted above, why do YOU interpret the world for people on this forum? Not only do you continually tell people how it is, but you tell them what THEY, themselves, ARE or ARE NOT. Who are YOU to INTERPRET all of that for others?
It is exactly the opposite.
WHAT is exactly the opposite? Are you saying that you do NOT interpret the world for people on this forum? There are thousands of posts that show that you do.
I’ve raised essentially two questions: do we know ourselves and are we asleep in Plato’s Cave?
You've done more than raise questions, you've answered them as well for everyone... yes?
Hildegard of Bingen asserts that we live in an interpreted world (the cave) having lost our voice and our ability to listen.
I understood the quote you posted. My question is why YOU interpret all that you do for OTHERS? How can you rail against others for interpreting for others, when YOU yourself are interpreting for others?
The interpreted world lives our life
Is there supposed to be more to this sentence?
Greta

Post by Greta »

Arising_uk wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:06 pm
Nick_A wrote:he kid is just a trouble maker dedicated to annoying those like Greta and F4. They should either be reeducated or eliminated. Under no circumstances should they be tolerated. The prospect is too offensive for progressive indoctrination to consider.
Exactly :lol: I have good friend who is a drag queen and he seems positively sanguine and butch next to the Nickhead.

Consider the Nickhead's lack of logic - teachers are supposed to take time out from their syllabus to answer student questions about the meaning of life - or be deemed servants of the Great Beast.

There are two major kinds of responses to such a question.

1. The theist response - "the meaning of life is ... x"

2. The honest response - "I don't know".

Apparently the last response is "spirit killing".

Still, credit where credit's due. How can a misguided overcompensating queen like Nick string so many people along for over 50 pages? He has a talent for pulling people in to indulge his bullshit. He is an expert theistic troll who can take over large swathes of forums and turn the whole thing into circular fights about religion. I have seen him do this before, unfortunately.