Secular Intolerance

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Nick_A

Re: Secular Intolerance

Post by Nick_A »

Secular intolerance is seen as legitimate when sanctioned by academic snobbery. This person seems to understand the situation.

http://theconversation.com/snobbery-in- ... harm-32037
Snobbery in universities

You might imagine that universities would be free of snobbery, because everyone is involved in a quest for knowledge and scholars are supposed to make judgements about ideas, not about people. Anyone who has been around people in universities will soon hear plenty of stories to the contrary.

When we started investigating academic snobbery, we discovered that everyone we spoke to had a story to tell. There were stories about arrogant professors, about snooty students and about individuals who thought they were superior to just about anyone. There are some relevant writings about emotions in academia and, more bluntly, about “academic arseholes”.

Academic snobbery comes in multiple forms - for instance, connected with a person’s university, field of study or position. Teachers who are on short-term contracts may not be treated as real colleagues. At conferences junior scholars may be ignored by leading figures in the field.

Those at the bottom of the status hierarchy are invisible. This sort of environment breeds snobbery.

Many students gain their sense of value from their peers and from their achievements at school and university. Snide comments about their clothes, tastes and intellectual skills can be deeply hurtful.

However, this type of snobbery has consequences beyond the immediate effects on people’s emotions. When teachers make belittling comments about students, it can cause some students to quit. Some junior scholars may even reject an academic career because of the patronising attitudes of senior figures.

Another possible consequence for universities is that relevant questions and concerns are not addressed because they don’t come from the right sorts of people. Or research findings may be ignored because they come from the wrong discipline.

Snobbery is not good for universities in another way. If members of the public think academics are inflated with self-importance, they are less likely to support universities when it comes to funding or academic freedom.

Secular intolerance is an obnoxious form of academic snobbery and can easily lead to metaphysical repression because students take these snobs seriously. After all they are teachers and control grades.

As the article states: “Many students gain their sense of value from their peers and from their achievements at school and university. Snide comments about their clothes, tastes and intellectual skills can be deeply hurtful.” Secular intolerants have perfected their snide comments and attitudes to the degree that their spirit killing techniques have become as highly developed as their puffed up egos.

Openly expressed attempts at spirit killing through secular intolerance are praised. However, some guys having a raunchy BS session in private are committing the unforgivable sin. The fruits of progressive education.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Nick_A , sour grapes . If you were clever enough for a university education I might take you seriously.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Belinda wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:47 pm Nick_A , sour grapes . If you were clever enough for a university education I might take you seriously.
The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.
Albert Einstein
I learn better by avoiding the secular intolerants and puffed up egos you admire who inhabit too much of contemporary educational institutions. I will always make a lousy snowflake and provoke the appropriate growls.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Nick_A wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:09 pm I will always make a lousy snowflake
I see you more as a fruitcake.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Nick_A wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:09 pm
Belinda wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:47 pm Nick_A , sour grapes . If you were clever enough for a university education I might take you seriously.
The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.
Albert Einstein
I will always make a lousy snowflake....
Must disagree once again. I think you make an exceptional snowflake!
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Harbal wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:18 pm
fruitcake
1. A derogatory term for a homosexual man.
Moi, the great pincher of female behinds is now called gay. What next I wonder?
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Nick_A wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:45 pm Moi, the great pincher of female behinds
I imagine this fantasy of yours only came about as a consequence of women constantly turning their backs on you.
is now called gay.

I wouldn't call you gay, I wouldn't want to offend those who are gay.
Greta

Post by Greta »

Nick_A wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:45 pm
Harbal wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:18 pm
fruitcake
1. A derogatory term for a homosexual man.
Moi, the great pincher of female behinds is now called gay.
Putting aside your blatant faux-hetero overcompensation, "fruitcake" can also mean "insane".

I'll give you a tip to improve your cover:

1. grown men who are actually straight don't overcompensate the way you do

2. men who are straight tend to like rather than despise women.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

What have we learned? We’ve learned that those who oppose the idolatry of the Great Beast must be opposed. It is especially important that the young be discouraged from contemplating beyond what the Beast allows. The indoctrination lasts well into adulthood. It doesn’t matter if God is considered the Great Beast or a personal god the effect is the same. The personal god is humanized so becomes on the same level as the Beast which resides in the World or Plato’s cave if you prefer.

Einstein was one of the minority with the need to experience beyond the secular, the conditioned world of the secular intolerants. They are attracted to eros.

This is the beginning of an extraordinary letter by Einstein. He was able to survive education seeking to kill eros. I post the first paragraph to show the difficulties of some who oppose secular indoctrination in support of either a personal God or the Great Beast. These are the minds and hearts of those the spirit killers will seek to crush to enhance their imagined self importance. Progressive education. Einstein survived it.
“School failed me, and I failed the school. It bored me. The teachers behaved like Feldwebel (sergeants). I wanted to learn what I wanted to know, but they wanted me to learn for the exam. What I hated most was the competitive system there, and especially sports. Because of this, I wasn’t worth anything, and several times they suggested I leave.
This was a Catholic School in Munich. I felt that my thirst for knowledge was being strangled by my teachers; grades were their only measurement. How can a teacher understand youth with such a system?.............................................
They can’t. Their agenda and service to their god in whatever form is all that is important. Here we have people who are more concerned with Donald Trump than spirit killing. They call it philosophy. I call it self serving BS.
Greta

Post by Greta »

Nick_A wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:24 amEinstein was one of the minority with the need to experience beyond the secular, the conditioned world of the secular intolerants. They are attracted to eros.

This is the beginning of an extraordinary letter by Einstein. He was able to survive education seeking to kill eros. I post the first paragraph to show the difficulties of some who oppose secular indoctrination in support of either a personal God or the Great Beast. These are the minds and hearts of those the spirit killers will seek to crush to enhance their imagined self importance. Progressive education. Einstein survived it.
“School failed me, and I failed the school. It bored me. The teachers behaved like Feldwebel (sergeants). I wanted to learn what I wanted to know, but they wanted me to learn for the exam. What I hated most was the competitive system there, and especially sports. Because of this, I wasn’t worth anything, and several times they suggested I leave.
This was a Catholic School in Munich. I felt that my thirst for knowledge was being strangled by my teachers; grades were their only measurement. How can a teacher understand youth with such a system?.............................................
They can’t. Their agenda and service to their god in whatever form is all that is important. Here we have people who are more concerned with Donald Trump than spirit killing. They call it philosophy. I call it self serving BS.
You are wildly mistaken if you think that Einstein would support anything you say.

You are more intolerant of opposing views than anyone. By far. Now you've reached the point of figuratively calling to arms. Madness.

That you would equate the parasite Trump with the promotion of spirit makes crystal clear that your views are just mindless tribalism.

You aim for credibility by dotting your posts with quotes from people who would largely abhor your views and be dismayed to see their meaning being so distorted by you. All you are doing on this thread is parroting a few lines over and devising post hoc rationalisations on the run to justify acting on your anger and insecurity.

A lot like Trump, but without the money and power.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Greta wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:45 am
Nick_A wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:24 amEinstein was one of the minority with the need to experience beyond the secular, the conditioned world of the secular intolerants. They are attracted to eros.

You are wildly mistaken if you think that Einstein would support anything you say.

You are more intolerant of opposing views than anyone. By far. Now you've reached the point of figuratively calling to arms. Madness.

That you would equate the parasite Trump with the promotion of spirit makes crystal clear that your views are just mindless tribalism.

You aim for credibility by dotting your posts with quotes from people who would largely abhor your views and be dismayed to see their meaning being so distorted by you. All you are doing on this thread is parroting a few lines over and devising post hoc rationalisations on the run to justify acting on your anger and insecurity.

A lot like Trump, but without the money and power.
No, you oppose the need of those like Einstein and Simone to experience beyond the confines of the cave

Compare what Einstein wrote with what Simone wrote

Excerpted from a letter Simone Weil wrote on May 15, 1942 in Marseilles, France to her close friend Father Perrin:
At fourteen I fell into one of those fits of bottomless despair that come with adolescence, and I seriously thought of dying because of the mediocrity of my natural faculties. The exceptional gifts of my brother, who had a childhood and youth comparable to those of Pascal, brought my own inferiority home to me. I did not mind having no visible successes, but what did grieve me was the idea of being excluded from that transcendent kingdom to which only the truly great have access and wherein truth abides. I preferred to die rather than live without that truth.
Both knew that secular idolatry represented here by you was insufficient for their calling to truth. Those like you would seek to crush them in order to make them normal for cave life. I choose to support those who respect and support their need as developing human beings.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Nick_A wrote:... Progressive education. Einstein survived it. ...
LMFAO! 'Progressive' in German education at that time.

How do you explain that Einstein studied at a Polytechnic(I know you'll have no idea how high an institution that is), that to get there he went back to a Gymnasium to complete his secondary education(something I suggest you do), that he spent most of his life teaching in your 'Great Beast' institutions?

You can always tell when one is dealing with an interweeble, they quote Einstein.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Nick_A wrote:What have we learned? ...
That like the Marxists your dogma allows you to convince yourself your beliefs are always true.
We’ve learned that those who oppose the idolatry of the Great Beast must be opposed. ...
More that your 'Great Beast' is a figment of your imagination based upon your religious upbringing.
It is especially important that the young be discouraged from contemplating beyond what the Beast allows. ...
You are allowed to contemplate what you wish under our system, something you would disallow if you had power which is why you'll never be getting it. That you want the tax-payer to fund your dogma is risible.
The indoctrination lasts well into adulthood. It doesn’t matter if God is considered the Great Beast or a personal god the effect is the same. The personal god is humanized so becomes on the same level as the Beast which resides in the World or Plato’s cave if you prefer. ...
Which 'God'? As the Greeks had a few.
Einstein was one of the minority with the need to experience beyond the secular, the conditioned world of the secular intolerants. They are attracted to eros. ...
You couldn't make this up, oh! You have.
...They call it philosophy. I call it self serving BS.
Lmao! This from you!!
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Arising_uk wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:34 am
Nick_A wrote:What have we learned? ...
That like the Marxists your dogma allows you to convince yourself your beliefs are always true.
We’ve learned that those who oppose the idolatry of the Great Beast must be opposed. ...
More that your 'Great Beast' is a figment of your imagination based upon your religious upbringing.
It is especially important that the young be discouraged from contemplating beyond what the Beast allows. ...
You are allowed to contemplate what you wish under our system, something you would disallow if you had power which is why you'll never be getting it. That you want the tax-payer to fund your dogma is risible.
The indoctrination lasts well into adulthood. It doesn’t matter if God is considered the Great Beast or a personal god the effect is the same. The personal god is humanized so becomes on the same level as the Beast which resides in the World or Plato’s cave if you prefer. ...
Which 'God'? As the Greeks had a few.
Einstein was one of the minority with the need to experience beyond the secular, the conditioned world of the secular intolerants. They are attracted to eros. ...
You couldn't make this up, oh! You have.
...They call it philosophy. I call it self serving BS.
Lmao! This from you!!
A disciple of the Great beast growls. But as usual, these growls contain no logic,just mindless condemnation.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Nick_A wrote:A disciple of the Great beast growls. But as usual, these growls contain no logic,just mindless condemnation.
Marxist to the core eh!

Given that you continually ignore that your definition of secularism and it's application is illogical and incorrect and based purely upon your own wish to impose your religious dogma upon the youth I think there not much point in doing other than condemning you for wanting to waste other tax-payers monies nor in pointing-out that those who misrepresent Einstein's life and use selective quotes from him upon the weeb are generally the loons whom he would decry if he was alive.