How feelings are the only things that make things and situations matter to us

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

MozartLink

How feelings are the only things that make things and situations matter to us

Post by MozartLink »

I am going to post yet another example of how feelings are the only things that make our lives matter and things/situations matter to us. Imagine someone who could never feel sad about the people who were always dying next to him/her. The death of these people would not matter to him/her.

He/she would be completely apathetic towards the death of these people if he/she could not feel anything from that. Imagine, from there, that he/she were somehow given the ability to feel sad from the death of these people. He/she would now report that this was truly the most tragic and horrible thing for him/her to witness.

This is what I mean here when I say that our feelings are the only things that make our lives matter to us in either the most horrible and tragic ways (our unpleasant feelings) or they make our lives the most beautiful, joyful, happy, valuable, and worthwhile experience for us (our pleasant feelings). You would actually be lying and fooling yourself if you think that things and situations can matter to you without your feelings.

My example with the person having no ability to feel sad is a clear example of how you would be lying and fooling yourself. My other example that clearly indicates how you would be lying and fooling yourself would be with a sociopath who cannot feel any love or compassion towards other innocent living things and people.

This sociopath would not care about other innocent living things and people. They would be nothing more than mere tools for him/her to torture, abuse, and take advantage of. Since this sociopath only feels good about getting what he/she wants and torturing other people/innocent living things, then this is the only thing that matters to this sociopath.

The idea that these innocent living things and people were in pain, suffering, and were taken advantage of would not matter to this sociopath since this sociopath cannot feel anything bad from that. Therefore, as you can clearly see here, feelings are all there is to life. Anyone who claims that there is more to life than how we feel are lying.

Now you understand why I need my good feelings to make my life and everything in it matter to me in a good way to give my life value, worth, joy, beauty, inspiration, etc. Having no feelings or having depression (hopelessness) and misery only renders my life completely devoid and empty. My life is absolutely nothing at all when I am in that state of mind.

Good feelings give our lives good value and make our lives worth living, bad feelings give our lives bad value, and having no feelings at all gives our lives no value and no worth.
thedoc

Re: How feelings are the only things that make things and situations matter to us

Post by thedoc »

Thankyou for posting the obvious.
MozartLink

Re: How feelings are the only things that make things and situations matter to us

Post by MozartLink »

thedoc wrote:Thankyou for posting the obvious.
I don't think it is obvious to many people because many people would claim that your life can still matter to you without your feelings.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

MozartLink wrote:
thedoc wrote:Thankyou for posting the obvious.
I don't think it is obvious to many people because many people would claim that your life can still matter to you without your feelings.
Then you must know "many people" that I don't.