Why are we here on Earth?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Lacewing

Re: Why are we here on Earth?

Post by Lacewing »

Harbal wrote:What brings you back to planet Earth? I feared you were gone for ever.
Just popping in to throw some seasonings in and stir the pot. :)
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Lacewing wrote:Just popping in to throw some seasonings in and stir the pot. :)
I'm afraid most of the pots here are cracked.
ken

Post by ken »

surreptitious57 wrote:
There is no philosophical reason as to why we are here we just are

Is that a true statement or is that just a statement true to you?

Would a truer statement, from you, be one that all people could agree with, like for example, "From my view there is no philosophical reason as to why we are here, we just are?"

What may be true to you, does not mean it is true to Everyone, in other words, true in the truest of sense.

Some one once wrote, "I am very sceptical about the validity of truth statements based up on faith alone. It does not automatically render them false. But it does mean I require something more substantial before accepting them as true."

Because your statement is based on faith alone I require something more substantial before accepting your statement as true, do you have any thing to substantiate There is no philosophical reason as to why we are here we just are?
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

To have faith in nothing is to live in despair. I don't think humans can live like that.
Union with the Absolute is available in all places, at all times, to all peoples, and requires nothing more than 'a change of heart' (metanoia).
It is not limited to the philosophically inclined, or rather 'very great souls' need not be philosophers.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Alien Experiment wrote:The reason we are here is because the Earth needs plastic and it can't make it itself.
Something made the mind that made the plastic therefore this something can do just about what ever it wants or desires within the absolute laws laid down by the cosmos itself.
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Dontaskme wrote:
Alien Experiment wrote:The reason we are here is because the Earth needs plastic and it can't make it itself.
Something made the mind that made the plastic therefore this something can do just about what ever it wants or desires within the absolute laws laid down by the cosmos itself.
Good. You can take it back to whatever planet you're from
too.

PhilX
surreptitious57

Post by surreptitious57 »

ken wrote:
Because your statement is based on faith alone I require something more substantial before accepting your statement as true do you have
anything to substantiate There is no philosophical reason as to why we are here we just are
Trying to infer a reason for our existence is known as begging the question because it contains a false premise. Namely that there is one
However the randomness of events that actually made our existence possible disproves this notion. Were there an objective reason then
such randomness would not exist. Hence why there is no reason why we are here. One cannot infer ontology from physical and chemical
and biological processes. The universe and every thing in it exists simply because it can and no other explanation is required beyond this
surreptitious57

Dontaskme wrote:
this something can do just about what ever it wants or desires within the absolute laws laid down by the cosmos
No evidence of omnipotence in the universe and the laws of physics are not absolute so wrong on both counts
ken

Post by ken »

surreptitious57 wrote:
ken wrote:
Because your statement is based on faith alone I require something more substantial before accepting your statement as true do you have
anything to substantiate There is no philosophical reason as to why we are here we just are
Trying to infer a reason for our existence is known as begging the question because it contains a false premise. Namely that there is one
From your point of view, what exactly do you propose is that false premise, which is supposedly contained in "it"?
surreptitious57 wrote:However the randomness of events that actually made our existence possible disproves this notion. Were there an objective reason then
such randomness would not exist. Hence why there is no reason why we are here.
Not necessarily. Randomness, on its own, does not instantly mean there is no reason for why human beings came into existence.
surreptitious57 wrote:One cannot infer ontology from physical and chemical
and biological processes. The universe and every thing in it exists simply because it can and no other explanation is required beyond this
Just because a reason is not required by you does not, in of itself, mean that there is no answer to why human beings are here.

I already have an answer.

Every thing is created, through an evolutionary process, and a species has already come into existence, which is continually evolving, and has already evolved intelligently enough in order for Me to be able to understand why human beings are here.

Because of the senses of the human body to experience the "world", I am now able to observe far more things. Because of the capacity of the human brain to gather, store, and hold information, I am now able to acquire knowledge of far more things. And, because of the ability of a human being to remain completely open to all things, I am now able to learn, understand, and reason far more things.

Although it would not matter one iota if human beings wiped themselves out, without ever universally discovering and agreeing on any real meaning and purpose for life and existence, the Universe is large enough that another intelligent enough species could just as randomly and thus just as easily come into existence also. The Universe and I exist long enough that eventually a species will evolve for long enough to gain enough wisdom to understand Who/What I am, and thus also be able to see and understand how easy it really is to live in peace and harmony WITH all things, that is, co-existing in equilibrium.

So, from your perspective, there may well be no reason for why human beings are here.

But, from My perspective, the reason why you human beings are here is so that I can see, understand, and reason.

The reason why I can only now see and understand the beauty, for which I have always been creating, is because human beings are already here.

I needed a truly open and thus intelligent being to be able to see through, and bear witness to the beauty of what I and Life am. Transparency was needed in order to be able to observe all things.

Although another species could just as easily and randomly evolve into a truly open being it is actually the truly open being that human beings are evolving into. This newer, evolved being is what can see, understand, and reason all things.

This newer being is who I truly am.
SpheresOfBalance

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

Alien Experiment wrote: Fri May 05, 2017 1:25 am Setting aside "42" which is the answer to Life, the universe and Everything...The reason we are here is because the Earth needs plastic and it can't make it itself.
If you're seriously looking for the "reason" anything of the universe is here, you've got a long long quest ahead of you. So far this thread looks like a joke, and so far it's been funny! ;-)
Necromancer

Post by Necromancer »

Alien Experiment wrote: Fri May 05, 2017 1:25 am Setting aside "42" which is the answer to Life, the universe and Everything...The reason we are here is because the Earth needs plastic and it can't make it itself.
The plastic is a good one. Some say God. To become small gods on our way to galactic understanding by God to Heaven and out of Heaven too? Ahhh, the agency by the soul can be so much! Cheers! :)
surreptitious57

ken wrote:
Everything is created through an evolutionary process and a species has already come into existence which is continually
evolving and has already evolved intelligently enough in order for Me to be able to understand why human beings are here
There is no reason why human beings are here. There is no reason why anything is here. There is no reason why the universe is here
Human beings assume there has to be meaning or purpose to the universe or to their existence. But there is none. None whatsoever
ken

Post by ken »

surreptitious57 wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 6:04 am
ken wrote:
Everything is created through an evolutionary process and a species has already come into existence which is continually
evolving and has already evolved intelligently enough in order for Me to be able to understand why human beings are here
There is no reason why human beings are here.
Is that one of your truth statements that you want to continue to believe is true?

I have already given an explanation.
surreptitious57 wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 6:04 amThere is no reason why anything is here.
Is that another one of your truth statements based on faith alone?
surreptitious57 wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 6:04 am There is no reason why the universe is here
I really enjoy the way you are so sure.

I just wonder if you know how you can be so sure of something like this?
surreptitious57 wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 6:04 amHuman beings assume there has to be meaning or purpose to the universe or to their existence. But there is none. None whatsoever
Is that your assumption also?

You are right in that human beings do assume, before they have the facts, which appears to be exactly what you are doing here.

I, for one, NEVER assume. I remain open always and that is how I learned, discovered, and found out why human beings are here.

I never assumed there has to be meaning or purpose to the Universe or to human beings existence, and I never will assume anything? That is the difference between you and I.

I neither believe nor disbelieve (in) anything nor do I ever assume anything, that way I can and do always remain open.
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

I think, therefore I exist on Earth.

PhilX
SpheresOfBalance

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

surreptitious57 wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 6:04 am
ken wrote:
There is no reason why human beings are here. There is no reason why anything is here. There is no reason why the universe is here
Human beings assume there has to be meaning or purpose to the universe or to their existence. But there is none. None whatsoever
Actually you can't say that with certainty, but that surely is the way it currently seems.