Philosophy and refugees from chaos countries

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Ansiktsburk

Philosophy and refugees from chaos countries

Post by Ansiktsburk »

Being from a town close to the town where a self-named IS activist who was denied asylum snatched a lorry last week and drove it down the most popular street for pedestrians, the question on whether or not refugees should be accepted and in what numbers is kind of controversial. If the media in your country has given a picture of people here happily wanting to open the gates wide for each and everyone, I can inform you that this is not the case. SD - our national/nazi-light party has loads of voters. To say that it is the most controversial question at the moment here is not an exaggeration. Our border is not at all as open as in 2015, but there still are load of refugees coming here.

The debates are, I believe, about the same as in your countries with basically the same players around. But now I wonder. What if the Philosophers were to decide? Close the borders? Or let how many in?

In Plato's Ideal Republic, there is no question that the "guardians" should give thumbs up or down to people on the run from chaos. And the question in question is not simply up for the grabs for empirical, scientific studies, even if there are load of statistics around for criminal activities by immigrants around here in the discussions, but numbers mainly used as bats by people with an emotional agenda.

I'm currently reading the article on Carnap, with references to Karl Popper, the discussions the Vienna Circle held about empiricism being the only source for knowledge and so on. Well, here we have a case that needs to be decided. No empiricism around, or at least no laws of physics to say what to do or not. Things are currently being decided by journalists with different kind of agendas and a lot of emotions, for and against. Politicians that are swaying this way or that depending on what is happening and what the "general opinion" is for the day. What if the most experienced philosophers from the philosophical institutions came out of their little boxes of discussing language detail instead brought their metaphysically capable minds and dug their theeth into something like this? Would they really do a worse job than the media and the politicians?
vegetariantaxidermy

Re: Philosophy and refugees from chaos countries

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Send them all to the US and the countries that aided and abetted it in its genocidal ME campaign. The US is the destructive 600lb toddler that needs its spattered faeces cleaned up by its hapless mother.
Quite simple really, except that America the toddler isn't capable of being reasoned with or behaving in a just and fair manner.