Irrational Man, the movie

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

tbieter

Irrational Man, the movie

Post by tbieter »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwCatikaHNM

I watched this movie the other evening. I enjoyed it, especially the ending. The ending provokes thought about causation, one of my favorite concepts. Also, about poetic justice.
vegetariantaxidermy

Re: Irrational Man, the movie

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

tbieter wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwCatikaHNM

I watched this movie the other evening. I enjoyed it, especially the ending. The ending provokes thought about causation, one of my favorite concepts. Also, about poetic justice.
Are you sure that's the right link?
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

I really liked the movie, I watched it a few times and thought it was humorous in quite a few parts.

With that being said, I think it accurately portrayed modern philosophy (1700s to now) as causing more obscurity in the quest for truth without giving an real answers except as to "following how one feels".

I think it accurately portrays that the majority of philosophy, specifically the culturally excepted "stuff", has lost its rational based by its inability to put into proportion...well anything.

It merely has been an exultation of the human condition without giving any real thought as to whether the human condition is "worth exulting". With premises such as these, I think the movie played out the logical conclusion of what most modern philosophy leads us to do: Stagnate and fundamentally die in one way or another.

I found it interesting how the Professor in the movie was portrayed as brilliant, while at the same time at the comments of the faculty, "having no real substance". Philosophy has been reduced to mere rhetoric, while at the same time crying for values that fundamentally mirror self-indulgence. Philosophy has lost its observation of "selflessness" and instead focused on the self, which I believe was brilliantly played out both literally, anthropomorphically, and metaphorically through the main character.

I mean let's be frank here, modern philosophy has lost itself and any remnants of what was has been relegated to merely obscure authors with their own cult followings.

The movie accurately portrayed the "truth through emotionalism" approach which robbed philosophy of it's literal historical base for all sciences.

I believe philosophy, as both an art and science, can resurrect itself if the field is just frank and admits that most of it is like the main character...Lost and in the Dark.
Skip

Post by Skip »

I saw it some months ago and had trouble recalling anything about it until i read a review.
Oh, yeah. That. Beautiful actors, beautiful setting, implausible situations, deadly boring dialogue.
Allen being lazy, repetitious and self-indulgent.