Good and bad are not value judgments; they are experiences

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

MozartLink

Good and bad are not value judgments; they are experiences

Post by MozartLink »

good value, worth, beauty, inspiration, joy, happiness, love, etc. are not value judgments. They are our good (pleasant) feelings/emotions which are experiences. Sight, hearing, smell, taste, touch, etc. are not value judgments. They are experiences. Therefore, good, worth, beauty, inspiration, joy, happiness, love, etc. are like sight, hearing, smell, taste, touch, etc. since they are also experiences and not value judgments.

People would tell me that there is no such thing as the experience of good, the experience of bad, the experience of beauty, etc. and that these things are instead labels (descriptors) that we apply to certain situations and things. From my own personal experience, these things are not labels and there really is such a thing.

This is because there is the difference between applying labels and paying very close attention to what the experience actually is. I will give an example. If you experienced physical pain and you said that this pain was a telephone, then that would be nothing more than a word you would be applying to that pain.

But if you said that this physical pain was a burning, scratching, or stabbing sensation, then these would not be labels. This is what the experience actually is. You would be paying close attention to what it is you are experiencing and you would, therefore, know what it is you are experiencing. That also applies in my situation.

In other words, I know that my good feelings/emotions (moods) are the experience of good, the experience of beauty, the experience of love, the experience of joy/happiness, etc. and I know that my bad (unpleasant) emotions are the experience of bad, suffering, misery, pain, etc. Without the experience of any pleasant or unpleasant emotions, then I would neither have good nor bad value in my life.

I think this is something that has yet to be discovered because we currently think that good and bad are just value judgments (labels) we apply to things and situations. But if a scientist can somehow prove that good and bad are our pleasant and unpleasant feelings/emotions, then that would change everything.

That would change how we see good and bad which means there would be no more of this nonsense where people tell me that my life can still have good value and that my life can still be worth living in a dead, lifeless, mechanical state of mind without my good feelings/emotions. These good feelings are the only source of good value/worth in one's life and this has yet to be discovered.