Should dogs have the same rights as humans?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Walker

Re: Should dogs have the same rights as humans?

Post by Walker »

Street-philosopher Bill Burr … the lighter side of grim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YM37gPSbKtY
(rated: language)

:lol:
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Walker wrote:You're playing with the lives of innocents with your conceptual theories.

How arrogant.

How utterly, completely, obnoxiously, arrogant.

We realize that for whatever reason, you must be this way.

And on this side of the table ... spontaneous, effortless compassion ... ahhhh

And to that sir, what is your insult?

8)
I have no response to your nonsense.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Walker wrote:You're playing with the lives of innocents with your conceptual theories.

How arrogant.

8)
Sad.

The Believers and The Faithful often are confused by rationality.

What you are failing to grasp is the rational nature of a robust, logical rebuttal to the affirmative of dog rights.

Hobbes, do you always wallow in an emotional morass of irrationality that identifies with duality and misinterprets the nature of enquiry?

Check that toolbox again. I know you've got more in there than insults.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Walker wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:

How arrogant.

8)
Sad.

The Believers and The Faithful often are confused by rationality..
That's what I keep saying but you just won't listen.
bergie15

Post by bergie15 »

I don't think dogs should have all the same rights as humans, but they do deserve to be treated well. I do think that some of how a dog behaves is due to it's training and upbringing, so it is reflective of the owner.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Dogs have more rights. They have the right to euthanasia.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Walker wrote:...
Who can truly know the mind of any dog. ...
Anyone who understands dogs and packs.
For that reason, who can morally trust a beast without morality, and without fear of repercussions upon its own being, caused by its own actions? ...
Anyone who understands what being the pack leader entails.
Only the Faithful can.
Nothing to do with faith but leadership.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:Dogs have more rights. They have the right to euthanasia.
Pretty much any human can kill themselves?
IdeasInblu

Post by IdeasInblu »

Dogs shouldn't have the same rights as humans because they don't hold the same intellectual capacity to understand many of their actions in relation to our own society's acceptance.

However, when things like this happen their owners should be held more accountable than the dog imo because in the end it's just a creature that we've made as a pet for our own amusement. If it's yours it should be your responsibility unless it's a stray.
ForCruxSake

Post by ForCruxSake »

Here's another story of a man being mauled by his own dog, only this time it was whilst he was being interviewed by the BBC, who caught it on film. Did he deserve it? Makes you wonder...

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... ll-terrier
vegetariantaxidermy

ForCruxSake wrote:Here's another story of a man being mauled by his own dog, only this time it was whilst he was being interviewed by the BBC, who caught it on film. Did he deserve it? Makes you wonder...

How did he deserve it? There's nothing about him being cruel to the dog. It's not exactly normal behaviour for a dog. I suppose they can be insane too.
The story is gutter 'journalism' at its worst. To die like that and then have your character assassinated. Very low.
ForCruxSake

Post by ForCruxSake »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
ForCruxSake wrote:Here's another story of a man being mauled by his own dog, only this time it was whilst he was being interviewed by the BBC, who caught it on film. Did he deserve it? Makes you wonder...

How did he deserve it? There's nothing about him being cruel to the dog. It's not exactly normal behaviour for a dog. I suppose they can be insane too.
The story is gutter 'journalism' at its worst. To die like that and then have your character assassinated. Very low.
Well, judging from everything I've read, staffs, and similar dogs, can be well behaved dogs. It's how they are trained and treated. This has come up several times on this thread. We actually know nothing of this man save a bit of press print and the BBC interview cut short... and the fact his dog seemed to be an attack dog.

I actually posed it as a question: "Did he deserve it?" It wasn't rhetorical. I don't know. It makes me wonder.

Maybe you can calm your misdirected outrage (at me) now and perhaps give yourself a little time to ponder, before you too decide on another hasty attack.
vegetariantaxidermy

ForCruxSake wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:

Well, judging from everything I've read, staffs, and similar dogs, can be well behaved dogs. It's how they are trained and treated. This has come up several times on this thread. We actually know nothing of this man save a bit of press print and the BBC interview cut short... and the fact his dog seemed to be an attack dog.

I actually posed it as a question: "Did he deserve it?" It wasn't rhetorical. I don't know. It makes me wonder.

Maybe you can calm your misdirected outrage (at me) now and perhaps give yourself a little time to ponder, before you too decide on another hasty attack.
Odd. I don't see any 'attack'. I didn't say you were assassinating his character. I said the hack journalist was. Staffies are usually lovely dogs--those smallish dogs that are often brindle. I think there are a lot of misconceptions about what they actually are, no thanks to Americans adopting the 'suitably macho' and offensive name 'pit bull'.
''The term pit bull does not refer to a single breed of dog but possibly two and as many as five. The two breeds unanimously accepted by dog experts are the American Bull Terrier and the American Staffordshire Terrier. Pit bulls began earning their violent reputations in colonial times when they were trained to participate in a sport called "baiting" in which the dogs were placed into pens with other dogs and animals and forced to fight them.''
ForCruxSake

Post by ForCruxSake »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Odd. I don't see any 'attack'. I didn't say you were assassinating his character. I said the hack journalist was. Staffies are usually lovely dogs--those smallish dogs that are often brindle. I think there are a lot of misconceptions about what they actually are, no thanks to Americans adopting the 'suitably macho' and offensive name 'pit bull'.
''The term pit bull does not refer to a single breed of dog but possibly two and as many as five. The two breeds unanimously accepted by dog experts are the American Bull Terrier and the American Staffordshire Terrier. Pit bulls began earning their violent reputations in colonial times when they were trained to participate in a sport called "bainting" in which the dogs were placed into pens with other dogs and animals and forced to fight them.''
Apologies. Totally misread what you were saying, It was a staff that bit my son (as mentioned earlier) and I was more put out by the dog's owner than the dog. Totally agree with you and grateful for the extra detailed knowledge. :)