Philosophies...

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

mtmynd1

Philosophies...

Post by mtmynd1 »

Philosophies are Religions without an Absolute.

Philosophy is malleable and always unsure. Philosophy is an attempt at diversity thru intellect. Philosophy is the unguarded twin of Religion, without a Temple, without the faithful... a vagabond on the landscape seeking that which lies beyond religious beliefs thru the mind's logic.

That's my philosophy.
thedoc

Re: Philosophies...

Post by thedoc »

mtmynd1 wrote:Philosophies are Religions without an Absolute.

Philosophy is malleable and always unsure. Philosophy is an attempt at diversity thru intellect. Philosophy is the unguarded twin of Religion, without a Temple, without the faithful... a vagabond on the landscape seeking that which lies beyond religious beliefs thru the mind's logic.

That's my philosophy.
I would agree with most of what you say, but I would suggest that philosophy does have temples, they are just not recognized as such. In a way they are more like the early church which was wherever several people gather to discuss philosophy or religion. And it does have the faithful to one or several different philosophers so philosophy has divided itself into various denominations just as religion has, each claiming that their particular favorite philosopher has the correct view.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Philosophy - questions without answers

Religion - answers without question

mtmynd1

Post by mtmynd1 »

thedoc wrote:
I would agree with most of what you say, but I would suggest that philosophy does have temples, they are just not recognized as such. In a way they are more like the early church which was wherever several people gather to discuss philosophy or religion. And it does have the faithful to one or several different philosophers so philosophy has divided itself into various denominations just as religion has, each claiming that their particular favorite philosopher has the correct view.
I, too, would agree with most of what you say, but I would suggest Religion does not own "God" nor does Philosophy own thought. Great thinkers are not necessarily philosophers nor are those who believe in (a) God(s) religious.

Thank you for your reply, Doc.
mtmynd1

Post by mtmynd1 »

Bill Wiltrack wrote:.

Religion - answers without questions

I would agree with this, Bill, if I didn't believe we hu'mans have far more questions that we have answers.
IdeasInblu

Post by IdeasInblu »

Questions are how we learn more especially about ourselves, is it not?
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

thedoc wrote:I would agree with most of what you say, but I would suggest that philosophy does have temples, they are just not recognized as such. In a way they are more like the early church which was wherever several people gather to discuss philosophy or religion. And it does have the faithful to one or several different philosophers so philosophy has divided itself into various denominations just as religion has, each claiming that their particular favorite philosopher has the correct view.
Typical doc: Find a silly post and follow it with one even sillier.
mtmynd1

Post by mtmynd1 »

IdeasInblu wrote:Questions are how we learn more especially about ourselves, is it not?
Questions arise from the mind... the same place where the answers lie.

The reason we "ask" is to know, the reason to "know" is to understand; the reason to "understand" is to find the next question (quest-ion). Each time we hope to become closer to knowing ourselves... our greatest "quest".
Last edited by mtmynd1 on Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mtmynd1

Post by mtmynd1 »

Harbal wrote: Find a silly post and follow it with one even sillier.
"Silly" is your comment for it arises from your lack of understanding that which you are bedeviled to comprehend. Call it "silly" so it will go away, but it doesn't because the subject has become a small part of you.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

mtmynd1 wrote:"Silly" is your comment for it arises from your lack of understanding that which you are bedeviled to comprehend. Call it "silly" so it will go away, but it doesn't because the subject has become a small part of you.
Sorry, mtmynd, I mistook it for nonsense, I didn't realise it was meant to mean something, my mistake.
ForCruxSake

Post by ForCruxSake »

Harbal wrote:
thedoc wrote:I would agree with most of what you say, but I would suggest that philosophy does have temples, they are just not recognized as such. In a way they are more like the early church which was wherever several people gather to discuss philosophy or religion. And it does have the faithful to one or several different philosophers so philosophy has divided itself into various denominations just as religion has, each claiming that their particular favorite philosopher has the correct view.
Typical doc: Find a silly post and follow it with one even sillier.
Harbal, do you ever contribute in any substantial way to a post?

You never make a challenge with any kind of substantial argument. You just make the odd witty comment, or more usually, a snide comment. You're the man who sits by the side of the road, spitting at people as they pass, going about their daily business. These people are actually on their way somewhere, to do something valid, however crap it may be. You simply spit at them and then when they catch your eye, you smile at them, so that they won't slap you up the side of the head. You never actually have the balls to really contribute, like they are doing, however crap it may seem to you.

I suspect you're better than this. I just haven't seen it yet.
ForCruxSake

Post by ForCruxSake »

Thank you for this. It's quotable. :)
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

ForCruxSake wrote:

Should you want to make a fool of yourself then, yes, it is.
mtmynd1

Post by mtmynd1 »

Harbal wrote: Should you want to make a fool of yourself then, yes, it is.
Curious if your handle, "Harbal" is a misspelling of "Horrible". Your replies sure are.
ForCruxSake

Post by ForCruxSake »

Harbal wrote:
ForCruxSake wrote:

Should you want to make a fool of yourself then, yes, it is.
*wipes Harbal's phlegm from a sleeve and walks on*