Can you go through life without any assumptions?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

There are two types of assumptions: those that stick with you throughout your life and those you change for some reason(s).

In my title, I'm referring to those sticky assumptions. It's my assumption that everyone has sticky assumptions of some sort. The assumptions that undergo change I don't regard as true assumptions whereas the sticky assumptions seem to be unique to an individual when you consider all of that person's sticky assumptions.

PhilX
A_Seagull

Re: Can you go through life without any assumptions?

Post by A_Seagull »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:There are two types of assumptions: those that stick with you throughout your life and those you change for some reason(s).

In my title, I'm referring to those sticky assumptions. It's my assumption that everyone has sticky assumptions of some sort. The assumptions that undergo change I don't regard as true assumptions whereas the sticky assumptions seem to be unique to an individual when you consider all of that person's sticky assumptions.

PhilX
You are assuming that you are alive. Whereas I know for a fact that you are a bot.
Philosophy Explorer

Re: Can you go through life without any assumptions?

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

A_Seagull wrote:
Philosophy Explorer wrote:There are two types of assumptions: those that stick with you throughout your life and those you change for some reason(s).

PhilX
You are assuming that you are alive. Whereas I know for a fact that you are a bot.
:lol:

PhilX
Greta

Post by Greta »

Only if you have no conscious awareness. Microbes probably aren't big assumers. For us, a list of assumptions would be almost endless.
A_Seagull wrote:You are assuming that you are alive. Whereas I know for a fact that you are a bot.
That's only an assumption. It is still possible that he is not.