Are any stereotypes true?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

Are any stereotypes true?

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

We often hear when they're false. If there are any true stereotypes, then what are some examples and what makes them true?

PhilX
vegetariantaxidermy

Re: Are any stereotypes true?

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

They all are. That's how they become stereotypes.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:We often hear when they're false. If there are any true stereotypes, then what are some examples and what makes them true?

PhilX
Purportedly Bose provides a very true sound.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

None are true - that's why they are called stereotypes.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:None are true - that's why they are called stereotypes.
What a surprise.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:None are true - that's why they are called stereotypes.
What a surprise.
Oh you 'educated' types ignoring the word on the street. BOSE are clad to the ear bruva.
Philosophy Explorer

For those that are ignorant, here's my online dictionary definition:

"a widely held but fixed and oversimplified image or idea of a particular type of person or thing."

Doesn't say nor imply whether the idea is true nor false. Try again.

PhilX
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:For those that are ignorant, here's my online dictionary definition:

"a widely held but fixed and oversimplified image or idea of a particular type of person or thing."

PhilX
OFFS
Philosophy Explorer

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Philosophy Explorer wrote:For those that are ignorant, here's my online dictionary definition:

PhilX
OFFS
You're doing better than VT. She doesn't have an "O" in hers. :lol:

PhilX
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:

PhilX
OFFS

PhilX
How can such a thing be true of false. There are examples which more of less reflect people. But as each person in the world is of necessity unique stereotypes are for racists, and other forms of morons who what to be able to put people in boxes so they can deal with them with safe and easy doses of prejudice.
You might as well ask if any abstract noun is true or false. Can't you see why this is absurd?
Philosophy Explorer

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
OFFS

PhilX
How can such a thing be true of false. There are examples which more of less reflect people. But as each person in the world is of necessity unique stereotypes are for racists, and other forms of morons who what to be able to put people in boxes so they can deal with them with safe and easy doses of prejudice.
You might as well ask if any abstract noun is true or false. Can't you see why this is absurd?
To me, there's a close tie-in to PC because my understanding is there can be positive stereotypes. In the press, all I see reported are negative stereotypes (e.g. all blondes are dumb) which certainly isn't true in the example I've just given. So my challenge remains: can you supply an example of a positive stereotype?

PhilX
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:

PhilX
To me, there's a close tie-in to PC because my understanding is there can be positive stereotypes. In the press, all I see reported are negative stereotypes (e.g. all blondes are dumb) which certainly isn't true in the example I've just given. So my challenge remains: can you supply an example of a positive stereotype?

PhilX
One man's negative is another's positive and vice versa. Black people are good at sport. This sounds like a positive stereotype; but this, of course implies that they are less likely to be good at science or other more cerebral pursuits.
Another one is black's have a great sense of rhythm.
Where are the white guy stereotypes?
Stereotypes build prejudice.
Philosophy Explorer

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:

PhilX
One man's negative is another's positive and vice versa. Black people are good at sport. This sounds like a positive stereotype; but this, of course implies that they are less likely to be good at science or other more cerebral pursuits.
Or maybe prejudice builds stereotypes. How stereotypes come about can lead to a great discussion. I think one of the main reasons for stereotypes, true or otherwise, is due to fear or security reasons. Some stereotypes are patently ridiculous. Another good question is if a stereotype is proven to be true does it remain a stereotype?

PhilX
surreptitious57

Post by surreptitious57 »

Stereotypes are a more extreme version of generalisations. And while they may have some basis
in truth they should not actually be taken seriously. Unlike generalisations they are supposed to
apply to all members of a particular demographic. Though the larger it is the less likely they do
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:

PhilX
Or maybe prejudice builds stereotypes. How stereotypes come about can lead to a great discussion. I think one of the main reasons for stereotypes, true or otherwise, is due to fear or security reasons. Some stereotypes are patently ridiculous. Another good question is if a stereotype is proven to be true does it remain a stereotype?

PhilX
Stereotypes are not "True". When they are "proven" true, people start building gas chambers.
Can you think of any white stereotypes?