Are any stereotypes true?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Harbal

Re: Are any stereotypes true?

Post by Harbal »

thedoc wrote: You've just confirmed what has always been suspected,
You're wrong about that, doc. Up until now, I had no idea.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Harbal wrote:
thedoc wrote: You've just confirmed what has always been suspected,
You're wrong about that, doc. Up until now, I had no idea.
But everyone else did, you're always the last to know.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Greta wrote:Yes, stereotypes are true in general but wrong in particular. You cannot validly judge an individual by their stereotype, though. How many here would like to be thought of as a generic honky? Would you feel misrepresented? Would you feel that much that makes you you is being ignored?

I have light brown skin, I've played drums for decades and have a fair sense of rhythm, much better than many untrained darker brown people. To see me in the street, you'd not pick me as a person with rhythm.

Meanwhile Obama was a medium-to-dark brown skinned member of the group notorious for lack of impulse control and intelligence. Yet he showed almost superhuman self control in office, and has always been amongst the most intelligent and eloquent of modern politicians. On the other hand, Trump - who is a very pale shade of red-brown - has childlike impulse control, and is clearly much less eloquent with complex subject matter and is less academically intelligent than Obama.

So stereotypes are worth noting, but most times they can be taken with a grain of salt.
Stereotypes occur after it has been noticed that a large number of individuals follow a particular pattern. I don't know which part of this people have so much trouble understanding. The definition of 'stereotype' doesn't mean, and never has meant, every single individual. This is why the American red-neck is a racist, country and western-loving, kkkristian idiot, because so many individuals in that neck of the woods are exactly that!
Last edited by vegetariantaxidermy on Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
vegetariantaxidermy

thedoc wrote:
Greta wrote: Yes, stereotypes are true in general but wrong in particular. You cannot validly judge an individual by their stereotype, though. How many here would like to be thought of as a generic honky? Would you feel misrepresented? Would you feel that much that makes you you is being ignored?
So stereotypes are worth noting, but most times they can be taken with a grain of salt.
Jeff Foxworthy has made a very successful career making a stereotype out of rednecks, even though his definition is completely wrong compared to the original. "A Glorious Lack of Sophistication" is not usually associated with classical music, yet I prefer classical music. 2 of his other characteristics fit me perfectly, if the directions to your house include the phrase "turn off the paved road" and "do more of the vehicles on your property do not run than do run". In this case the individual stereotype doesn't fit very well.
What an idiot. So you are saying you are a red-neck, except that you aren't a red-neck. :lol:
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
thedoc wrote:
Greta wrote: Yes, stereotypes are true in general but wrong in particular. You cannot validly judge an individual by their stereotype, though. How many here would like to be thought of as a generic honky? Would you feel misrepresented? Would you feel that much that makes you you is being ignored?
Jeff Foxworthy has made a very successful career making a stereotype out of rednecks, even though his definition is completely wrong compared to the original. "A Glorious Lack of Sophistication" is not usually associated with classical music, yet I prefer classical music. 2 of his other characteristics fit me perfectly, if the directions to your house include the phrase "turn off the paved road" and "do more of the vehicles on your property do not run than do run". In this case the individual stereotype doesn't fit very well.
What an idiot. So you are saying you are a red-neck, except that you aren't a red-neck. :lol:
I'm saying that his definition is wrong.
vegetariantaxidermy

thedoc wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
thedoc wrote:
I'm saying that his definition is wrong.
No you aren't. You are saying that you aren't a red-neck. Why do you think that guy makes a lot of money? Because people recognise the ones he's talking about. I've never listened to him, but I'll take your word for it. Red-neck isn't a stereotype in itself anyway. It's a word that means a racist, white, bible-belt, American fundamentalist kristian. I mean, hardly any of them are like that, so it's anyone's guess where the 'stereotype' came from. :)
Last edited by vegetariantaxidermy on Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Stereotypes occur after it has been noticed that a large number of individuals follow a particular pattern. I don't know which part of this people have so much trouble understanding. The definition of 'stereotype' doesn't mean, and never has meant, every single individual. This is why the American red-neck is a racist, country and western-loving, kkkristian idiot, because so many individuals in that neck of the woods are exactly that!
No a stereotype happens when one person notices that one or two people of a certain category act in a certain way, and then start talking to others who believe as they do, usually incorrectly.
vegetariantaxidermy

thedoc wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Stereotypes occur after it has been noticed that a large number of individuals follow a particular pattern. I don't know which part of this people have so much trouble understanding. The definition of 'stereotype' doesn't mean, and never has meant, every single individual. This is why the American red-neck is a racist, country and western-loving, kkkristian idiot, because so many individuals in that neck of the woods are exactly that!
No a stereotype happens when one person notices that one or two people of a certain category act in a certain way, and then start talking to others who believe as they do, usually incorrectly.
Not true. If there were only 'one or two' then a 'stereotype' could never come about.