For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

Re: Are any stereotypes true?

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Philosophy Explorer wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
One man's negative is another's positive and vice versa. Black people are good at sport. This sounds like a positive stereotype; but this, of course implies that they are less likely to be good at science or other more cerebral pursuits.
Another one is black's have a great sense of rhythm.
Where are the white guy stereotypes?
Stereotypes build prejudice.
Or maybe prejudice builds stereotypes. How stereotypes come about can lead to a great discussion. I think one of the main reasons for stereotypes, true or otherwise, is due to fear or security reasons. Some stereotypes are patently ridiculous. Another good question is if a stereotype is proven to be true does it remain a stereotype?

PhilX
Stereotypes are not "True". When they are "proven" true, people start building gas chambers.
Can you think of any white stereotypes?
White flight

PhilX
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

surreptitious57 wrote:Stereotypes are a more extreme version of generalisations. And while they may have some basis
in truth they should not actually be taken seriously. Unlike generalisations they are supposed to
apply to all members of a particular demographic. Though the larger it is the less likely they do
Obviously the trouble with generalisations about "groups" as defined by colour or "ethnicity" is that people tend to make choices based on those generalisations.
This leads to such things as unemployment by race, creed. And "Muslim" bans, or other such idiotic gestures.

The only good Indian is a dead Indian.

Need one say more?
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Or maybe prejudice builds stereotypes. How stereotypes come about can lead to a great discussion. I think one of the main reasons for stereotypes, true or otherwise, is due to fear or security reasons. Some stereotypes are patently ridiculous. Another good question is if a stereotype is proven to be true does it remain a stereotype?

PhilX
Stereotypes are not "True". When they are "proven" true, people start building gas chambers.
White flight

PhilX
I don't know what that is.
Philosophy Explorer

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
White flight

PhilX
I didn't think you would. I hate to sound like Hex, but you can Google the term.

PhilX
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
White flight

PhilX
I didn't think you would. I hate to sound like Hex, but you can Google the term.

PhilX
It not a phrase which implies a stereotype.
I'm not sure you have a good handle on the idea.
Philosophy Explorer

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:

PhilX
I beg to disagree.

PhilX
Philosophy Explorer

Here are more stereotypes of white Americans:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereot ... _Americans

PhilX
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
How can such a thing be true of false. There are examples which more of less reflect people. But as each person in the world is of necessity unique stereotypes are for racists, and other forms of morons who what to be able to put people in boxes so they can deal with them with safe and easy doses of prejudice.
You might as well ask if any abstract noun is true or false. Can't you see why this is absurd?
To me, there's a close tie-in to PC because my understanding is there can be positive stereotypes. In the press, all I see reported are negative stereotypes (e.g. all blondes are dumb) which certainly isn't true in the example I've just given. So my challenge remains: can you supply an example of a positive stereotype?

PhilX
One man's negative is another's positive and vice versa. Black people are good at sport. This sounds like a positive stereotype; but this, of course implies that they are less likely to be good at science or other more cerebral pursuits.
FFS. Can't you leave your 'Manifesto of Political Correctness' in the cupboard for once???

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/th ... tereotypes
Walker

Post by Walker »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
To me, there's a close tie-in to PC because my understanding is there can be positive stereotypes. In the press, all I see reported are negative stereotypes (e.g. all blondes are dumb) which certainly isn't true in the example I've just given. So my challenge remains: can you supply an example of a positive stereotype?

PhilX
FFS. Can't you leave your 'Manifesto of Political Correctness' in the cupboard for once???

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/th ... tereotypes
People have blind spots. It's likely a characteristic of people of any stripe. Causes can be named, but the effect is to blank out what doesn't fit the view. Probably hardwired by the species and fancied up by civilization. PC could be a blind spot that ignores or minimizes what doesn't fit the world view that has been so carefully crafted for so long.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:

PhilX
I beg to disagree.

PhilX
Then explain how that phrase is a stereotype.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:

PhilX
s
I'm just telling you the truth you bigoted old hag.
vegetariantaxidermy

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
s
Love it. A misogynistic insult from the 'progressive feminist sjw'. :|
Nope. You don't give a shit about the truth, only your pathetic political agenda, you disingenuous old ccunt.
Last edited by vegetariantaxidermy on Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
ForCruxSake

Post by ForCruxSake »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:For those that are ignorant, here's my online dictionary definition:

"a widely held but fixed and oversimplified image or idea of a particular type of person or thing."

Doesn't say nor imply whether the idea is true nor false. Try again.

PhilX
The keywords for me here are "fixed" and oversimplified", if there's a modicum of truth to stereotypes, which I think there is, is it immutable and can it be oversimplified? Can one oversimplify truth?

(I'm not being rhetorical just in case someone feels the need to jump down my throat.)
vegetariantaxidermy

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
How can such a thing be true of false. There are examples which more of less reflect people. But as each person in the world is of necessity unique stereotypes are for racists, and other forms of morons who what to be able to put people in boxes so they can deal with them with safe and easy doses of prejudice.
You might as well ask if any abstract noun is true or false. Can't you see why this is absurd?

PhilX
Oh really? The thought never entered my head, but it clearly did yours.

''Another one is black's have a great sense of rhythm.
Where are the white guy stereotypes? ''
Um. White guys don't have great rhythm?
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: FFS. Can't you leave your 'Manifesto of Political Correctness' in the cupboard for once???
s
Love it. A misogynistic insult from the 'progressive feminist sjw'. .
That's because I'm not your stereotypical "feminist SJW", and you are a fucking idiot as I have already said.