Are any stereotypes true?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Hobbes' Choice

Re: Are any stereotypes true?

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: ''Another one is black's have a great sense of rhythm.
Where are the white guy stereotypes? ''
Um. White guys don't have great rhythm?
Talking to you is like wading through shit.
Obviously white guys have great rhythm and that is why stereotypes are a bucket of crap; crap that you love to use as cosmetics.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: ''Another one is black's have a great sense of rhythm.
This is not born out by evidence, most of the drummers are white guys, and playing the drums takes a good sense of rhythm.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: So my challenge remains: can you supply an example of a positive stereotype?

PhilX
2 that I can think of offhand are that men have more upper body strength than women and that women can endure more pain than men.

The first may be true, but that is due to the cultural influences that have put men in certain jobs and women in others.
The second is probably not true, and women will always trot out the pain of labor in childbirth, but there is no way to compare that to any pain that a man can experience, but when you look at comparable pain in men and women there is more individual difference and very little difference in general.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
I'm just telling you the truth you bigoted old hag.
Love it. A misogynistic insult from the 'progressive feminist sjw'. .
That's because I'm not your stereotypical "feminist SJW", and you are a fucking idiot as I have already said.
That's exactly what you are. Hypocrisy and 'Progressives' go together like copy and paste. They never question themselves because they are too focused on their righteous crusade to police and control the world's minds and rid it of all thoughts and words that don't adhere to their vision of how society must be. Of course they are too stupid to see that silencing and censoring ideas that they don't like means silencing and censoring everyone.
vegetariantaxidermy

thedoc wrote:
This is not born out by evidence, most of the drummers are white guys, and playing the drums takes a good sense of rhythm.
Sigh. :|
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

thedoc wrote:
Johnny Carson can play drums and Buddy Rich among many others.

PhilX
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

attofishpi wrote:Oh you 'educated' types ignoring the word on the street. BOSE are clad to the ear bruva.
Devialet rools.
vegetariantaxidermy

Philosophy Explorer wrote:
thedoc wrote:

PhilX
That's nice. :|
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

thedoc wrote:

PhilX
In fact there are many more "white" musicians than "black" musicians, and doing any kind of music takes a good sense of rhythm.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

thedoc wrote:
I know what you mean, VT, but he's doing his best. :D :D :D
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

thedoc wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sigh. :|

PhilX
In fact there are many more "white" musicians than "black" musicians, and doing any kind of music takes a good sense of rhythm.
I should add dance to the list. Sports sometimes requires a good sense of rhythm, but brute strength more so, which is why there are more white quarterbacks, throwing a football correctly requires a good sense of rhythm.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

thedoc wrote:
I should add dance to the list. Sports sometimes requires a good sense of rhythm, but brute strength more so, which is why there are more white quarterbacks, throwing a football correctly requires a good sense of rhythm.
Greta

Post by Greta »

Yes, stereotypes are true in general but wrong in particular. You cannot validly judge an individual by their stereotype, though. How many here would like to be thought of as a generic honky? Would you feel misrepresented? Would you feel that much that makes you you is being ignored?

I have light brown skin, I've played drums for decades and have a fair sense of rhythm, much better than many untrained darker brown people. To see me in the street, you'd not pick me as a person with rhythm.

Meanwhile Obama was a medium-to-dark brown skinned member of the group notorious for lack of impulse control and intelligence. Yet he showed almost superhuman self control in office, and has always been amongst the most intelligent and eloquent of modern politicians. On the other hand, Trump - who is a very pale shade of red-brown - has childlike impulse control, and is clearly much less eloquent with complex subject matter and is less academically intelligent than Obama.

So stereotypes are worth noting, but most times they can be taken with a grain of salt.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Greta wrote: Yes, stereotypes are true in general but wrong in particular. You cannot validly judge an individual by their stereotype, though. How many here would like to be thought of as a generic honky? Would you feel misrepresented? Would you feel that much that makes you you is being ignored?
So stereotypes are worth noting, but most times they can be taken with a grain of salt.
Jeff Foxworthy has made a very successful career making a stereotype out of rednecks, even though his definition is completely wrong compared to the original. "A Glorious Lack of Sophistication" is not usually associated with classical music, yet I prefer classical music. 2 of his other characteristics fit me perfectly, if the directions to your house include the phrase "turn off the paved road" and "do more of the vehicles on your property do not run than do run". In this case the individual stereotype doesn't fit very well.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Harbal wrote:
thedoc wrote: I should add dance to the list. Sports sometimes requires a good sense of rhythm, but brute strength more so, which is why there are more white quarterbacks, throwing a football correctly requires a good sense of rhythm.
You've just confirmed what has always been suspected, you're a follower, not a leader.