Have to CIA killed people by hacking their cars?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Hobbes' Choice

Have to CIA killed people by hacking their cars?

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

They certainly have been researching the possibility, and looks like it is possible.

http://truepublica.org.uk/united-states ... -hastings/
wtf

Re: Have to CIA killed people by hacking their cars?

Post by wtf »

Somehow the modern world turned into a William Gibson novel.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

wtf wrote:Somehow the modern world turned into a William Gibson novel.
They say that truth is stranger than fiction.

Gary Web, the guy that broke the story the the CIA were trading in illegal drugs to fund the Contra's, found himself covering stories about constipated horses, vilified, spied on, and finally "committing suicide".
People he'd got the story from mysteriously withdrew their stories and his own newspaper ostracised him in the media storm that took his life apart.
Years later, in the media storm about Clinton spunking up on Monica's velvet dress, a report proved everything Web said was right. No one paid any attention.

His suicide was odd on the face of it. He managed to "shoot himself" twice in the head.
ForCruxSake

Post by ForCruxSake »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:They say that truth is stranger than fiction.

Gary Web, the guy that broke the story the the CIA were trading in illegal drugs to fund the Contra's, found himself covering stories about constipated horses, vilified, spied on, and finally "committing suicide".
People he'd got the story from mysteriously withdrew their stories and his own newspaper ostracised him in the media storm that took his life apart.
Years later, in the media storm about Clinton spunking up on Monica's velvet dress, a report proved everything Web said was right. No one paid any attention.

His suicide was odd on the face of it. He managed to "shoot himself" twice in the head.
Not to derail your thread, but have you heard of Martin Manley? He was an American sports writer that felt he was getting on a bit, at 60 (!), and decided to commit suicide. It wasn't an instant act of the moment but a very considered and rational decision. Before he did it, he blogged about it, here.

http://martin-manley.eprci.com/january_1_2012

He tells the entire story of his life and death, starting with his decision to die. It's an interesting read and written with such good humour that it's a shame he killed himself.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

ForCruxSake wrote:

Not to derail your thread, but have you heard of Martin Manley? He was an American sports writer that felt he was getting on a bit, at 60 (!), and decided to commit suicide. It wasn't an instant act of the moment but a very considered and rational decision. Before he did it, he blogged about it, here.

He tells the entire story of his life and death, starting with his decision to die. It's an interesting read and written with such good humour that it's a shame he killed himself.
Suicide can be a rational decision - one I think I'd like to make for myself if things got too painful or boring.
The actor George Saunders left s suicide note, simply saying he was desperately bored.
I think, in the case of Gary Web, he was basically hounded out of his job, his marriage, and knowing all the time he was right, was ignored and vilified.

Though I have to say TWO bullets sounds more like an execution.
ForCruxSake

Post by ForCruxSake »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
ForCruxSake wrote:

Suicide can be a rational decision - one I think I'd like to make for myself if things got too painful or boring.
The actor George Saunders left s suicide note, simply saying he was desperately bored.
I think, in the case of Gary Web, he was basically hounded out of his job, his marriage, and knowing all the time he was right, was ignored and vilified.

That's bloody awful. There was a movie made about his story, released in 2014, 'Kill the Messenger' and Jeremy Renner, played Webb. It's quite good. Tells the story without egging it.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

ForCruxSake wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
ForCruxSake wrote:

That's bloody awful..
What is?
ForCruxSake

Post by ForCruxSake »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
ForCruxSake wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:

That's bloody awful..
What is?
That Webb may have been executed as retribution for the 'Dark Alliance' series of articles. It's possible... but the coroner stated that whilst unusual it was not impossible. The fact his wife corroborated that it was not only possible but that she thought he did it because of his state of mind st the time, it pretty much stopped any further inquiry.

Who knows the truth? I still think it might be possible.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

ForCruxSake wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
ForCruxSake wrote:
That's bloody awful..
What is?
That Webb may have been executed as retribution for the 'Dark Alliance' series of articles. It's possible... but the coroner stated that whilst unusual it was not impossible. The fact his wife corroborated that it was not only possible but that she thought he did it because of his state of mind st the time, it pretty much stopped any further inquiry.

I saw the film yesterday.
What a disgrace. The US talks the talk of free speech, but that is as far as it goes.
I found the film a bit confused though. At times it was not that clear what was happening.
ForCruxSake

Post by ForCruxSake »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
ForCruxSake wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
What is?

I saw the film yesterday.
What a disgrace. The US talks the talk of free speech, but that is as far as it goes.
I found the film a bit confused though. At times it was not that clear what was happening.
We all know too well how 'transparent' the U.S. is and how well it 'safeguards freedoms'.

The value of 'Kill the Messenger' for me was that it brought his story to the wider public. The budget was modest (compared to your average blockbuster) and I imagine the movie was probably cut down to size it to time, sacrificing clarity. All I know is, I'd never have known about this man but for a Sky Movie subscription and the descriminating choices I make. Do you think it did him justice though? Presenting his belief in his profession, his frustration and eventual decline? It left me feeling he was an unsung hero.

We all know how awful the CIA can be, but for me it was how the reputable press treated him that I found disgusting. The New York Post accused him of asserting that the CIA's objective was to drug the African-American community into submission, when he never made such a claim. When the African-American community reacted to what Webb had uncovered, they themselves were beaten down with accusations of being over reactive and paranoid. The Washington Post spent their journalistic efforts on investigating how Webb's story was flawed rather than actually impartially investigating the story for themselves. What a waste of journalistic resources!
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

I'd be more surprised if someone hadn't thought how to do it.
Pluto

Post by Pluto »

Michael Hastings the great (real) investigative reporter was most likely murdered this way - when you read his writing and hear him in interviews - you can see that those who are a threat - if they can't be bought - are simply removed one way or another - it was a political assassination really

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoYe_tbik4g

http://www.news.com.au/finance/business ... 86a1e75325

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQrHnP9lXIU
Pluto

Post by Pluto »

The Washington Post spent their journalistic efforts on investigating how Webb's story was flawed rather than actually impartially investigating the story for themselves. What a waste of journalistic resources!
The fourth estate, use their resources to (amongst other things) delegitimise and weaken any potential threat from escalating that could upset the established power that it represents and protects - so it's natural for big media like The Washington Post to go after Webb rather than substantiate his findings. The Forth Estate is the moat between you and power.