Some Questions about Russell's On Denoting

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Curieuse

Some Questions about Russell's On Denoting

Post by Curieuse »

Hello everyone,

I finished reading Russell's work entitled On Denoting; I must confess I found it rather difficult. So, I now reading it for a second time and hoping that the erudite members of this board might kindly guide me in my understanding of this work. Some of these questions may not be "philosophical" in nature, but rather questions about understanding sentences; as it is, the subject discussed is a little difficult and trying to interpret certain sentences adds to the difficulty. To begin, early in the work, when he is trying to understand the definite article "the," he states
To interpret "C(the father of Charles II.)," where C stands for any statement about him, we have only to substitute C(x) for "x was executed" in the above.
What exactly does "in the above" refer to? There are many things that came before this. I presume he is referring to
"it is not always false of x that x begat Charles II. and that x was executed and that 'if y begat Charles II., y is identical with x' is always
Why would plugging in C(x) into that particular statement help me interpret "C(the father of Charles II.)"? What is Russell saying? By substituting, does he mean, for instance, that C(x) could mean "x was annoying," and substituting in C(x) in the above would result in
"it is not always false of x that x begat Charles II. and that x was annoying and that 'if y begat Charles II., y is identical with x' is always
I still don't quite understand how this gives us a means of interpreting "C(the father of Charles II.)".

I'll leave it at that; I don't want to pose too many questions at once.
Necromancer

Re: Some Questions about Russell's On Denoting

Post by Necromancer »

This paper by B. Russell is the start of quantification as we know it. Therefore, I think, he chooses to write something definitely singular for saying "one person is such and exists" and thus we have "C(the father of Charles II)". To this, "there exists a person" you can therefore add all the (true) sentences to this person to tell the logical story.

Also note on 1-holed predicate in Predicate Logic.

Rather short... :)

Logical notation:
http://lukasfolsneslea.tripod.com/HTML-LN-charsym1.html, fx. ∃ or ∀
http://lukasfolsneslea.tripod.com/HTML-LN-charsym2.html, second chart of options.