Sitting at the dog park

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

tbieter

Sitting at the dog park

Post by tbieter »

I was sitting on one of the new benches at the dog park when a woman walked by. As my gaze turned to her, I saw her cell phone fall from her sweater pocket. I called to her and pointed to her phone. As she picked it up she exclaimed, "thank you, thank you, thank you."

Thereafter, I thought about causation. Why did my gaze turn to her sweater pocket just as her phone fell from it? Why not then to the clouds, or to birds, or dogs, or to other people? Was it just the motion? Or the operation of gravity?

After much profound, brilliant philosophical reflection, I concluded that my gaze was drawn to HER NICE BUTT.

What principle does this event illustrate?
Philosophy Explorer

Re: Sitting at the dog park

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

tbieter wrote:I was sitting on one of the new benches at the dog park when a woman walked by. As my gaze turned to her, I saw her cell phone fall from her sweater pocket. I called to her and pointed to her phone. As she picked it up she exclaimed, "thank you, thank you, thank you."

Thereafter, I thought about causation. Why did my gaze turn to her sweater pocket just as her phone fell from it? Why not then to the clouds, or to birds, or dogs, or to other people? Was it just the motion? Or the operation of gravity?

After much profound, brilliant philosophical reflection, I concluded that my gaze was drawn to HER NICE BUTT.

How did you get from her butt to her sweater pocket?

PhilX
tbieter

Post by tbieter »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:
tbieter wrote:I was sitting on one of the new benches at the dog park when a woman walked by. As my gaze turned to her, I saw her cell phone fall from her sweater pocket. I called to her and pointed to her phone. As she picked it up she exclaimed, "thank you, thank you, thank you."

How did you get from her butt to her sweater pocket?
The sweater pocket extended back and covered about one-fourth of her butt.

PhilX
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

''What principle does this event illustrate?''

That you're a perv?
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

neither of you had a dog?

-Imp
Greta

Post by Greta »

Good things can stem from ill. Vice versa also applies, of course.

I was walking the dog through parks and bushland this morning too. As we crossed a large field with a huge clear sky I considered the scale of the things of which we are part, like the million km radius world of plasma explosions beaming down on me at the time, or the scale of this world we inhabit. It appears like a smooth sphere from even as close as the ISS. We and most other "bumps on the Earth's surface", including skyscrapers and mountains, don't register at that scale.

The scale difference brings to mind a thought experiment that explains how smaller dimensions can be curled up within larger ones. Our perception of a telegraph wire is that of a one dimensional straight line, maybe 2D if it's thick. However, an ant crawling on that seemingly one dimensional wire experiences a 3D cylindrical surface on which it can roam. So, in a sense, the Earth is effectively of a different dimension to things like us that have bubbled up on its surface over the last few billion years.

Then I came home and realised that some tax was due, then performed a slightly desperate search for "casually filed" documentation, and then did my civic duty. So much for the cosmic perspective.

Funny old life.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Signifies nothing.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

...that you were temporarily horny!
Walker

Post by Walker »

In the causation contemplation you neglected to consider the possibility that your rapt attention caused the phone fall.

After all, what are the odds of you coincidentally first seeing her at the precise moment of phone fall? Pretty slim.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Walker wrote:

In the causation contemplation you neglected to consider the possibility that your rapt attention caused the phone fall.

After all, what are the odds of you coincidentally first seeing her at the precise moment of phone fall? Pretty slim.
Hmm. Interesting theory.
Greta

Post by Greta »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Walker wrote:

Hmm. Interesting theory.
It's all rather "quantum" - the act of observation altering the observed :)
tbieter

Post by tbieter »

Occam's razor?
Walker

Post by Walker »

Sometimes the obvious is invisible.

When hand-held communicators were still Star-Trek accessories, while gazing at the valley from the ridge trail in the autumn twilight, a barn far below and miles away somehow caught fire.

The undetected flames silently increased for awhile. Then little fire trucks appeared, flashing a path with red blinking lights on a thin ribbon of road that wound to the fire, their distant sound rising up the mountain, their urgency slow and muted by distance and scale of the mountain altitude. In time the sky turned Van Gogh blue, stars appeared above and the spot of orange flame in the valley below winked out. He left feeling somehow connected, even if the boxed-cause was coincidence and the consequence was ruination.

And likewise, the thought of causation from gazing at the prettiest view in sight was part of the walk by lamplight.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Dubious wrote:

...that you were temporarily horny!
Why do you say that it was temporary, some people are horny all the time.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

It was probably the motion that attracted your attention, just as a predator is attracted to the motion of the prey. You probably wanted to touch her butt.