Why are some people leaders and some are followers?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

Why are some people leaders and some are followers?

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

And some people are both. Does it just work out that way naturally? Are there any definite reasons for it? Is it worth bothering about thinking? If so have you ever thought about it?

PhilX
Melchior

Re: Why are some people leaders and some are followers?

Post by Melchior »

I don't know, you tell me.
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Melchior wrote:I don't know, you tell me.
I think the answer lies in the genes, but I've never seen a study on it and it's only a guess.

PhilX
Melchior

Post by Melchior »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:
Melchior wrote:I don't know, you tell me.
I think the answer lies in the genes, but I've never seen a study on it and it's only a guess.

PhilX
I'll go along with whatever you say. LOL
tullip

Post by tullip »

Hello,

This is actually what social psychologists study. It's not just about one factor, as with everything in life, it's about how you look and how you act. If you take up the role as being shy and silent and passive, you will most likely become a follower. Most of the time the one with the loudest voice will take up the leadership. Social psychology is mostly common sense actually. And the thing with the genes, everything counts with this one, the people who are more introvert will more likely turn out to be followers, as is the opposite for more extravert people. But this doesn't have to be the case, because some introvert people have a very strong will and idealism, which will make them go beyond their shyness.

And yeah, some characteristics will help you become a leader. Sometimes a leader has some kind of leverage, a reward, a punishment, or something like that. Sometimes he or she has valuable information which makes that person powerful.

Sometimes it's about conforming with the group, although you're not agreeing with the leader and his or her way of thinking, but if you're the only one you're weird and nobody wants to be weird. If there is only ONE person more who doesn't agree with the leader it's easier to say you don't agree.