is Humanity hopeless? (with Humans ignorance & stupidity)

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

niki

is Humanity hopeless? (with Humans ignorance & stupidity)

Post by niki »

Ironically, even with our increasing technology in today's "modern" times, yet, technology will only serve as an exponential tool, to either create a better future, or to destroy ourselves twice exponentially much faster.

Sadly, the majority of Humans/people in the world is full of ignorance, stupidity, shallow superficial/superficialities, close-mindedness, as well as greed, selfishness, Ego, that often causes so many unnecessary, trivial bickerings, conflicts, unnecessary drama, hatred, and even wars.

And perhaps the saddest & biggest irony in Life/Reality is: the smart & wise people are often drowned in the sea of stupidity (only a very few lucky ones that can arise & impacted/changed the history of Mankind, Civilization & Humanity).

Do you think Humanity is hopeless?
Or, do you have some valid arguments in your *Hope* that Humanity still can be saved, and that there is still a bright/better future for Humanity, and/or that Humanity will survive somehow?
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

We're a rock-scrabble species, sure, but -- no -- we're not a lost cause.

Yeah, we're crass and mercenary, but we're also quite noble and inventive when we get ourselves up for it.

My evidence?

Compare what we are now to what what we were 200,000 years back.

Only the willfully blind can say man, today, is what he was back then.
TSBU

Re: is Humanity hopeless? (with Humans ignorance & stupidity)

Post by TSBU »

Nothing is for eternity.

Given knowledge about genetic engineering, computers, etc... I'd say that humans will change faster than ever.

Everybody carries a small "extra brain" that allows them to comunicate with many others, share knowledge and "think faster" (their "phone", with calculators etc), most of them carry one or two things that make their body better (out of common clothes I mean. For example, glasses), artificial hearts, artificial legs... we can easily make human clones etc, that's now, and for many people. It's not "so difficult" to stop ageing.

The singularity is nearly a fact, between people who know about computers, the question isn't anymore if it will happen, it is "when" or "how".

Humans for the common meaning will disappear, maybe they'll "evolve", maybe some of them will improve their bodys to separate from the rest, maybe some of them destroy the rest. Who knows? not my problem.
Hobbes' Choice

Re:

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

henry quirk wrote:We're a rock-scrabble species, sure, but -- no -- we're not a lost cause.

Yeah, we're crass and mercenary, but we're also quite noble and inventive when we get ourselves up for it.

My evidence?

Fact is you ain't got a fucking clue what we were like 200k years ago, but I regret to have to inform you that the anthropological evidence suggests we might well have been a lot more kind and respectful to our fellow humans.

Humans could not afford to be the racist, selfish pricks like many seem to be relishing being right now in the US, and elsewhere. 200k years ago no one was being asked to pay for another's wall, as there were NO WALLS.
Psychopaths like Trump could not be suffered to exist, let alone take control of the fate of millions of people.
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

99% of people are not particularly bright, but regardless the wheels or society still turn, we still have high tech machines that roll out, we still build increasingly advanced bridges, airplanes, buildings, cars, etc etc.

The "lost" people are still suited for rudimentary jobs and tasks, thus there is equilibrium ..all is good.
henry quirk

get bent, you commie dillweed

Post by henry quirk »

200,000 years back, what passed for human crapped where it slept, fucked where it stood, and ate folks who belonged to another tribe.

'Noble Savages' my ass.
TSBU

Post by TSBU »

HexHammer wrote:..all is good.
Greta

Re:

Post by Greta »

henry quirk wrote:We're a rock-scrabble species, sure, but -- no -- we're not a lost cause.

My evidence?

Weird. I agree with you completely :shock:
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

jihadists will never get a nuke...

enjoy it while it lasts

-Imp
Hobbes' Choice

Re: get bent, you commie dillweed

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

henry quirk wrote:200,000 years back, what passed for human crapped where it slept, fucked where it stood, and ate folks who belonged to another tribe.

'Noble Savages' my ass.
Like I said - you haven't got a fucking clue.
Hobbes' Choice

Re:

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

TSBU wrote:
HexHammer wrote:..all is good.
Oh look humanity at a time in history when there is more than enough food for everyone.
Hobbes' Choice

Re: Re:

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Greta wrote:

My evidence?

Weird. I agree with you completely :shock:
It's s stupid dichotomy as we have no idea what life was like back then, certainly not in terms of the issues Quirk is talking about.
Skip

Post by Skip »

is Humanity hopeless?
Yes. It's not the stupidity and ignorance that will get us, though: it's the cruelty and hubris.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

For now the question remains relative to what part of the world you're living in...whether you're still a savage with a machine gun. Advanced societies on the other hand who treat each other and animals much better, are despoiling the very foundation they exist on in the name of business, jobs, etc. Greed is the overwhelming motive and its consequences just beginning. What will times be like when it reverts to each man or group for itself. How much civilization will be left then? High tech won't replace what's lost or preempt extremely aggressive storms from happening.

The question is...

What do do little man when the best is gone?
Go to your computer and download a song!
TSBU

Post by TSBU »

Skip wrote:
is Humanity hopeless?
Yes. It's not the stupidity and ignorance that will get us, though: it's the cruelty and hubris.
Maybe we will divide in the stupids who think that way and talk about the "us" and the "cruels" who want to get far from the stupids.

I prefer the cruelty group.