My only reason for living

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

MozartLink

My only reason for living

Post by MozartLink »

The only thing that makes my life worth living is me being happy and enjoying my life and my hobbies. This happiness and enjoyment is a brain faculty that always needs to be fully intact so that I can be motivated (driven), inspired, happy, and enjoy my life and hobbies. This brain faculty is what is known as the 'reward system.' The Nucleus Accumbens is a brain region that gives a person these experiences.

This reward system is what animals rely and depend upon in order to make their lives and their goals/pursuits worth living for and worth pursuing. When you have two sets of mice in a laboratory: one set being anhedonic and depressed while the other set having a fully functional and healthy reward system, then you can see how the former set of mice give up on everything and don't engage much in activities while the other set is fully engaged in activities.

The reward system is vital and I need it fully functional and intact to make my life worth living just like how those mice need it to make their lives worth living. If this area of my brain becomes damaged due to something such as an autoimmune disease attacking my brain, a stroke, or some other type of brain defect to where I am depressed/anhedonic and can no longer experience any happiness, enjoyment, and motivation, then that is it for me. If this damage is permanent and I can never get those experiences of happiness, enjoyment, and motivation back to me, then I am done living and I would take myself out of this life.

You must understand here that those experiences are the very source of making everything in my life worth living for. If you take away that source, then I have nothing left to make my life worth living. Things alone in of themselves cannot make my life worth living; I need my experiences of happiness, enjoyment, and motivation to make those things in my life worth living for. Unpleasant feelings of motivation such as fear will not make my life worth living. They are awful experiences and will do me no good.

Now it would be complete and utter nonsense for any person out there to frown upon me and call me names such as selfish simply because I would give up living without my happiness and enjoyment. I do care about my family and others. If I didn't, then I would be someone like a psychopath who would harm and torture others. But I help my mom out when she asks me to, I display a kind attitude towards her and others, and I help her out when she is sick.

So I clearly do care. But when you go and take away what makes my personal life worth living which would be my happiness and enjoyment and expect me to live such a life that isn't worth living to me at all, then that is when you have gone too far. It would be the most inconsiderate thing for anyone to tell me in such a situation:

"Just deal with it and stop being so selfish."

I know that nobody in my family would say that to me since they do care and are considerate of me. But as I was saying, for anybody else out there to frown upon me and call me names for not wanting to live in such a situation would be no different than if I went into a dentist center, was recruited as a dentist, and I then replied to these dentists and said:

"I don't want to be a dentist. I have no interest and no value in this career. So I am just going to leave now."

For these dentists to become angry at me would be complete nonsense since they should understand that this is a career that I have no value or interest in. Therefore, me living a life without my happiness and enjoyment is no different. It would be complete and utter nonsense for anybody to frown upon me and call me selfish or any other name. They should understand that any other way of life that excludes my happiness and enjoyment is a life of no value to me. It is the most empty and miserable life to me and I would give up and leave such a life.

This reward system is the only thing that can give me the experience of happiness, drive, and enjoyment. Nothing else can. So I have to make sure that I don't develop clinical depression to where you are depressed for no reason throughout the day, I have to make sure that my brain is healthy so that my reward system does not get damaged or harmed, and I always have to make sure that my reward system is fully functional and healthy since this is the only way my life can be worth living.

Lastly, I am a respectful human being. I respect the values of others and I don't judge others. So I would kindly ask that nobody else do the same to me either such as calling me selfish or anything of the sort here. I know that my family wouldn't since they care and are concerned for me, but I am just worried about other people out there in the world who would judge me. Nothing else makes anything in my life worth living for besides my feelings of happiness and enjoyment because without these feelings, then it is like I am nothing more than a lifeless statue just living and doing my hobbies. That is no way to live and that is no way to do my hobbies including composing.

So it is for that very reason why I would just give up and end my life because it does not matter how much people tell me that my life can still be worth living despite the absence of these feelings, it will always be like I am nothing more than a lifeless statue set in motion without these feelings. Such a way of life is nothing to me. There is no value or anything for me in such a life. I currently do not have these feelings due to a traumatic event that took them away. Even though I am fully recovered from the event, I still do not have my drive to live and pursue my hobbies. If I cannot get that back to me, then I will give up and end my life.
Last edited by MozartLink on Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harbal

Re: My only reason for living

Post by Harbal »

If you can get through life as self indulgently as you seem to think you have a right to be able to do then well done, you'll make millions selling the secret to the rest of us.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Harbal wrote:If you can get through life as self indulgently as you seem to think you have a right to be able to do then well done, you'll make millions selling the secret to the rest of us.
I tend to agree with him. If you can't get any pleasure out of life then what's the point? Also, doing things for others is a source of pleasure for some people. Everything we do is 'selfish' to an extent.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: I tend to agree with him. If you can't get any pleasure out of life then what's the point? Also, doing things for others is a source of pleasure for some people. Everything we do is 'selfish' to an extent.
I would have preferred it if you had agreed with me. :)
vegetariantaxidermy

Harbal wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: I tend to agree with him. If you can't get any pleasure out of life then what's the point? Also, doing things for others is a source of pleasure for some people. Everything we do is 'selfish' to an extent.
I would have preferred it if you had agreed with me. :)
I thought I did. :)
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Harbal wrote: I would have preferred it if you had agreed with me. :)
I thought I did. :)
Okay, there seems to have been some confusion -on my part- but I'm happy to leave it at that. :)
Noax

Post by Noax »

MozartLink wrote:This reward system is what animals rely and depend upon in order to make their lives and their goals/pursuits worth living for and worth pursuing. When you have two sets of mice in a laboratory: one set being anhedonic and depressed while the other set having a fully functional and healthy reward system, then you can see how the former set of mice give up on everything and don't engage much in activities while the other set is fully engaged in activities.
If there is no worth to living, one would not live. The former depressed mouse might find it less worthwhile to engage in said activities, but still worthwhile to live. Pain and suffering would not have evolved if it hampered the likelihood of going on living. Given the choice, I would never opt to replace my own negative reward system for one of continuous bliss.
vegetariantaxidermy

Noax wrote:
MozartLink wrote:This reward system is what animals rely and depend upon in order to make their lives and their goals/pursuits worth living for and worth pursuing. When you have two sets of mice in a laboratory: one set being anhedonic and depressed while the other set having a fully functional and healthy reward system, then you can see how the former set of mice give up on everything and don't engage much in activities while the other set is fully engaged in activities.
If there is no worth to living, one would not live. The former depressed mouse might find it less worthwhile to engage in said activities, but still worthwhile to live. Pain and suffering would not have evolved if it hampered the likelihood of going on living. Given the choice, I would never opt to replace my own negative reward system for one of continuous bliss.
You might have noticed there is a very high suicide rate. I can't think of any evolutionary benefits of depression. There are obvious benefits for empathy and sensitivity, but clearly they are more highly developed in certain individuals, and evolution by natural selection is always a fine balancing act between advantage and disadvantage.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

MozartLink wrote:This reward system is what animals rely and depend upon in order to make their lives and their goals/pursuits worth living for and worth pursuing.
And it clearly appears that one reward system for you is creating countless threads that obsess about "what makes your life worth living for you to be happy and enjoy your life and your hobbies", and then for people to respond to you over and over about that. Sort of like you're picking at a scab, and you gain something in having everyone watch while you do it. You don't seem to really care what people respond, as long as you can keep picking at it, and creating new posts to obsess about it (same stuff over and over with different titles) -- and there's some kind of reward for you in doing that...yes? You choose that instead of doing anything different.

If you think rewards are so important, why not choose to pursue a greater reward that could come from moving beyond where you are? Broader territory offers more rewards. Can you imagine moving beyond where you are? Can you imagine moving away from the safety/familiarity of continually looping in the "sameness" that you continually try to validate and perfect?
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Are you up for posting one of your compositions and having the members here critique it?
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Lacewing wrote:
MozartLink wrote:This reward system is what animals rely and depend upon in order to make their lives and their goals/pursuits worth living for and worth pursuing.
And it clearly appears that one reward system for you is creating countless threads that obsess about "what makes your life worth living for you to be happy and enjoy your life and your hobbies", and then for people to respond to you over and over about that. Sort of like you're picking at a scab, and you gain something in having everyone watch while you do it. You don't seem to really care what people respond, as long as you can keep picking at it, and creating new posts to obsess about it (same stuff over and over with different titles) -- and there's some kind of reward for you in doing that...yes? You choose that instead of doing anything different.

If you think rewards are so important, why not choose to pursue a greater reward that could come from moving beyond where you are? Broader territory offers more rewards. Can you imagine moving beyond where you are? Can you imagine moving away from the safety/familiarity of continually looping in the "sameness" that you continually try to validate and perfect?
In all fairness to MozartLink, anhedonia is not just something to change you mind on, or snap out of. It is a common manifestation of several concurrent mental health issues.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Dalek Prime wrote:In all fairness to MozartLink, anhedonia is not just something to change you mind on, or snap out of. It is a common manifestation of several concurrent mental health issues.
So is there any point to creating such repetitive threads -- OR any point in responding to them -- or is it all just uncontrollable ramblings that never go anywhere?

I don't mean to sound insensitive -- I'm just trying to speak "straight" to it. I can understand that a lot of behaviors and/or disorders aren't something that a person can just "snap out of", but isn't a reflection of what they're doing informative on some level... for them to then use to evolve in whatever way they want/can, if they want/can?

What's the alternative?
TSBU

Post by TSBU »

Lacewing wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote:In all fairness to MozartLink, anhedonia is not just something to change you mind on, or snap out of. It is a common manifestation of several concurrent mental health issues.
So is there any point to creating such repetitive threads -- OR any point in responding to them -- or is it all just uncontrollable ramblings that never go anywhere?

I don't mean to sound insensitive -- I'm just trying to speak "straight" to it. I can understand that a lot of behaviors and/or disorders aren't something that a person can just "snap out of", but isn't a reflection of what they're doing informative on some level... for them to then use to evolve in whatever way they want/can, if they want/can?

What's the alternative?
Maybe the guy is young and his parents are saying all the time the same things and he need to find a person who agree or a person who is saying what he doesn't hear all the time. Maybe he is as obsesed with that as you are with your absurd "Nothing is true". Maybe he is another shit poster here, like ken, but at leaast one who has a bit of coherence.
Will your (respectfull and not insulting, it's just saying that he doesn't move because of fear cause he is a coward and he is wrong in his deepest feelings and personality, obsessed with a simple idea cause he can only think simple thoughts (stupid)) post help him? Of course it won't :D, what is the alternative? Shut up, or post a funny picture :)

By the way, your behaviour is very repetitive.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

TSBU wrote:Maybe the guy is young and his parents are saying all the time the same things and he need to find a person who agree or a person who is saying what he doesn't hear all the time. Maybe he is as obsesed with that as you are with your absurd "Nothing is true".
Maybe, maybe... blah, blah, blah... fill in the blank. What do you think we're here for? To TALK about ALL of it.
TSBU wrote:what is the alternative? Shut up, or post a funny picture
Then why don't you take your own advice? You know why... because it's stupid advice... like all the other stupid reactive ranting that you do.
TSBU wrote:By the way, your behaviour is very repetitive.
Anybody's behavior can seem repetitive -- including yours -- if it's a reflection of their personality or approach. Someone starting countless threads to talk about the exact same thing is the kind of repetition I was referring to. If you weren't so intent on jumping on me just to jump on me, maybe you could keep your mind clear enough to differentiate what's being said... and stop projecting all of your stupid-ass crap.
TSBU

Post by TSBU »

Lacewing wrote:
TSBU wrote:Maybe the guy is young and his parents are saying all the time the same things and he need to find a person who agree or a person who is saying what he doesn't hear all the time. Maybe he is as obsesed with that as you are with your absurd "Nothing is true".
Maybe, maybe... blah, blah, blah... fill in the blank. What do you think we're here for? To TALK about ALL of it.
Then, why don't you ask before asuming that he has a disorder and he is obsesed, and he is not evolving in his life after three fucking posts? Maybe because you have a disorder: Maybe, maybe, maybe.... weren't you the one talking about how things should be seen as "not truth"? I'm just saying you that your head is a shit cause you don't doubt if you are right or wrong in ALL the posts you made attacking other people psichology and motives before even asking, and not only their... posts (arguments here were green, so a horse ate them).
TSBU wrote:what is the alternative? Shut up, or post a funny picture
Then why don't you take your own advice? You know why... because it's stupid advice... like all the other stupid reactive ranting that you do.
I take it flowapowa! but you, like always, can't see it!
TSBU wrote:By the way, your behaviour is very repetitive.
Anybody's behavior can seem repetitive -- including yours -- if it's a reflection of their personality or approach. Someone starting countless threads to talk about the exact same thing is the kind of repetition I was referring to. If you weren't so intent on jumping on me just to jump on me, maybe you could keep your mind clear enough to differentiate what's being said... and stop projecting all of your stupid-ass crap.
[
Sure, then, why don't you ask him? Someone making your answer to threads is the kind of repetition I am referring to. If you weren't so intent in think that I am "jumping on you" (wtf is that supposed to mean? XDDD it's funny) maybe you could keep your mind clear enough to differentiate what's been said... and stop making posts to feel superior to other people.

I won't stop flowapowa, I'm stubborn as a mule, so stop asnwering, I'll keep saying you your clear mistakes when I want to do so. Or I'll post funny pictures, like I usually do XD.

http://mimiandeunice.com/wp-content/upl ... OverMe.png