Should I pursue composing?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

MozartLink

Should I pursue composing?

Post by MozartLink »

I am only here to be happy and to get whatever I want in life. When it comes to my composing hobby, this is no exception. I have created awesome music in my mind which are songs that are so unique to me and convey such powerful emotion to me that I have decided to take up composing as a hobby to get these songs out into the world. But my only reason for pursuing composing is to get praise and recognition for these awesome songs I hear in my mind since they mean so much to me.

So it is vital that I not only get these songs produced here in the real world just as how I hear them in my mind, but to also have them showcased to the world so that they can be praised and recognized. Some people might not like the songs, but I suspect that there would be at least many people who would and that is what matters to me here.

I as a person do not need praise and recognition. It is my music that I want to have praised and recognized. Therefore, I have no true passion for composing. I am only pursuing composing to get what I want out of it (that praise and recognition for these songs I hear in my mind). However, I have some life threatening conditions that might kill me off before I get the chance to achieve my goal of having these songs praised and recognized by my family, friends, people on soundcloud/youtube, etc.

It has to be the songs I hear in my mind that get the praise and recognition; not any ones that come about through the learning process or experimentation since these types of songs aren't anything to me. They are only merely a means to gaining knowledge and experience to eventually produce the real songs I want (the songs I hear in my mind).

I need plenty of education and training in order to accurately reproduce these songs I hear in my mind. So that is going to take some time. But if, let's pretend, that I would die soon in a few weeks or months, then I would immediately give up on composing. I would be very upset and disappointed since my goal cannot be obtained. But as long as I get to live a full life (perhaps to the point where I am 80 years old), then I am more than willing to put years and years and hours and hours everyday into learning and gaining experience in composing.

But like I said, all that effort would only be put forth towards gaining that praise and recognition for my music that I want since that is my only goal in being a composer. It is a goal that means so much to me that I am willing to put all that effort into it. But if you were to take that goal out of the picture and just leave composing alone itself as a true passion, then I wouldn't pursue it at all.

Lastly, I also need my feelings of happiness and enjoyment since they are what make my life and this goal worth pursuing and living for. So if I were depressed or completely anhedonic, then that is another factor that would lead me into giving up on composing. So my question out there for those experienced in composing and those who have much knowledge and life experience, should I even bother taking up composing? Do you think it is a worthwhile endeavor in my situation?
Harbal

Re: Should I pursue composing?

Post by Harbal »

MozartLink wrote:should I even bother taking up composing? Do you think it is a worthwhile endeavor in my situation?
Have you thought about having a crack at funeral music?
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

I need my feelings of happiness and enjoyment since they are what make my life and this goal worth pursuing and living for. So if I were depressed or completely anhedonic, then that is another factor that would lead me into giving up on composing. So my question out there for those experienced in composing and those who have much knowledge and life experience, should I even bother taking up composing? Do you think it is a worthwhile endeavor in my situation?

Yes. Compose SOMETHING. Put it on Youtube & give us a link so that we are able to listen for ourselves and give you an honest and immediate evaluation.

Stop tormenting yourself & start torrenting yourself!

Greta

Post by Greta »

If you don't love composing, why do that?

What do you love doing? Who do you love being with? These would seem good avenues for me if I was in your situation (good luck, BTW). If you enjoy composing more than you are letting on, then go for it, as Bill suggested.

Once you receive praise and recognition, what do you want to do with it? Praise comes and subsides, only to be soon replaced by the next praise object.
TSBU

Post by TSBU »

MozartLink wrote:I am only here to be happy and to get whatever I want in life. When it comes to my composing hobby, this is no exception. I have created awesome music in my mind which are songs that are so unique to me and convey such powerful emotion to me that I have decided to take up composing as a hobby to get these songs out into the world. But my only reason for pursuing composing is to get praise and recognition for these awesome songs I hear in my mind since they mean so much to me.

So it is vital that I not only get these songs produced here in the real world just as how I hear them in my mind, but to also have them showcased to the world so that they can be praised and recognized. Some people might not like the songs, but I suspect that there would be at least many people who would and that is what matters to me here.

I as a person do not need praise and recognition. It is my music that I want to have praised and recognized. Therefore, I have no true passion for composing. I am only pursuing composing to get what I want out of it (that praise and recognition for these songs I hear in my mind). However, I have some life threatening conditions that might kill me off before I get the chance to achieve my goal of having these songs praised and recognized by my family, friends, people on soundcloud/youtube, etc.

It has to be the songs I hear in my mind that get the praise and recognition; not any ones that come about through the learning process or experimentation since these types of songs aren't anything to me. They are only merely a means to gaining knowledge and experience to eventually produce the real songs I want (the songs I hear in my mind).

I need plenty of education and training in order to accurately reproduce these songs I hear in my mind. So that is going to take some time. But if, let's pretend, that I would die soon in a few weeks or months, then I would immediately give up on composing. I would be very upset and disappointed since my goal cannot be obtained. But as long as I get to live a full life (perhaps to the point where I am 80 years old), then I am more than willing to put years and years and hours and hours everyday into learning and gaining experience in composing.

But like I said, all that effort would only be put forth towards gaining that praise and recognition for my music that I want since that is my only goal in being a composer. It is a goal that means so much to me that I am willing to put all that effort into it. But if you were to take that goal out of the picture and just leave composing alone itself as a true passion, then I wouldn't pursue it at all.

Lastly, I also need my feelings of happiness and enjoyment since they are what make my life and this goal worth pursuing and living for. So if I were depressed or completely anhedonic, then that is another factor that would lead me into giving up on composing. So my question out there for those experienced in composing and those who have much knowledge and life experience, should I even bother taking up composing? Do you think it is a worthwhile endeavor in my situation?
Too deep question. Nobody should help you taking it.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

MozartLink wrote:I am only here to be happy and to get whatever I want in life. When it comes to my composing hobby, this is no exception.
How much composing have you done so far?
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

I can picture beautiful artwork in my head. Doesn't mean I can reproduce it on paper. That takes talent, hard work, passion, and dedication.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:I can picture beautiful artwork in my head. Doesn't mean I can reproduce it on paper. That takes talent, hard work, passion, and dedication.
Yes but MozartLink is convinced that what's in his head needs letting out and after reading all his post I can't help but agree.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Funny. I was going to make a crack about 'composting', when it occurred to me that composting is just decomposing under another name. Kinda neat.... Anyway, I have no point to all this....
BradburyPound

Post by BradburyPound »

MozartLink wrote:I am only here to be happy and to get whatever I want in life. When it comes to my composing hobby, this is no exception. I have created awesome music in my mind which are songs that are so unique to me and convey such powerful emotion to me that I have decided to take up composing as a hobby to get these songs out into the world. But my only reason for pursuing composing is to get praise and recognition for these awesome songs I hear in my mind since they mean so much to me.
For anyone to take this question seriously you'd need to do two things.
1) Post some of your compositions, as that is the only way anyone can answer your question.
2) Say if your raison d'etre was purely personal, or whether you hoped that your music had appeal to others commercially or otherwise.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

MozartLink wrote: So my question out there for those experienced in composing and those who have much knowledge and life experience, should I even bother taking up composing? Do you think it is a worthwhile endeavor in my situation?
The most obvious response: take it up as a hobby if it makes you happy. You only have to please yourself whatever you ability. Why even ask?
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:I can picture beautiful artwork in my head. Doesn't mean I can reproduce it on paper. That takes talent, hard work, passion, and dedication.
That is the real question does MozartLink have the talent to take what he hears in his head and put it on paper for musicians to turn into music? We already have one example, Bob is having difficulty convincing others that he can convert the voices in his head to meaningful scribbles on paper. And is what MozartLink hears in his head, really music or just random noise. I have tinnitus, I could compose for "Johnny-one-note" but it wouldn't be music.
MozartLink

Post by MozartLink »

Bill Wiltrack wrote:.

I need my feelings of happiness and enjoyment since they are what make my life and this goal worth pursuing and living for. So if I were depressed or completely anhedonic, then that is another factor that would lead me into giving up on composing. So my question out there for those experienced in composing and those who have much knowledge and life experience, should I even bother taking up composing? Do you think it is a worthwhile endeavor in my situation?

Yes. Compose SOMETHING. Put it on Youtube & give us a link so that we are able to listen for ourselves and give you an honest and immediate evaluation.

Stop tormenting yourself & start torrenting yourself!

This is not a composition, but it is a start at least. It is a voice I created for SSJ3 Goku:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5Sow-Q1vGE